• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Move over S1000RR...

Will people miss shifting gears? I don't like the idea of riding an "automatic" or in this case a single gear.

Electric motors give highest torque at slowest speed; who needs a transmission? It's just extra weight and more moving parts to fail.

Better start think'n about trad'n in those 'Dinosaur' fueled bikes..'cause this will be the way of the future.

Maybe someday, for some uses, but not yet. Batteries are heavy, range is short, recharging takes time and a source of electricity. Even if I could reach the place I like to stop on the Tioga Pass, it doesn't have a place to plug in.

Maybe someday, for some uses, but not yet. Batteries are heavy, range is short, recharging takes time and a source of electricity. Even if I could reach the place I like to stop on the Tioga Pass, it doesn't have a place to plug in.

Call Solindra...i hear they are having a sale on Solar Cells!

Ken

If Im going to be on the fastest bike i much would have rather have people hear me coming with an exhaust than be in stealth mode unnoticed ..... Combustion for me...

If Im going to be on the fastest bike i much would have rather have people hear me coming with an exhaust than be in stealth mode unnoticed ..... Combustion for me...

You could always put bigass speakers on it and play whatever exhaust sounds suited your purpose (GP bike for the twisties, Harley for cruising, etc) Imagine the possibilities.

I have always maintained that my ideal machine
1) seamlessly converted thought to velocity
2) made no sound
3) became invisible on command

Electrics are getting close on number 1 and number 2 but no breakthrough is in sight for 3.
If electric bikes ever get a serious range or ability to recharge as fast I can gas up, I'd have to have one- or more...

Never did get anything from noise- mine or anyone else's- its just annoying. And I've never driven anything with too much torque / hp despite having messed with all manner of over the top fast cages. All power levels become mundane after a point, its only the turns or competition that make it real fun.

So the H-D hardcore crowd are right? Loud pipes save lives? :brad

Range and recharge time are the remaining issues for the applications I would put one to; daily commuting and sport riding. KERS or some sort of on the fly trickle charging will help with that in the near future. I don't know about where you live but charging infrastructure for cage and bikes is growing in fly-over-land.

This will brand me as a heretic.(Like I'm not one now) I would like to see bike sharing programs (informal and commercial) as much as long distance touring range. I am getting tired of days in the saddle between sporting fun. I've done my thousand mile days. I will keep my Roadster for my periodic round the Great Lakes rides. Fly and ride would work for me the rest of the time.

Not me. Bring it on; silent instant seamless power........I'm ready :thumb

No thanks. Though the performance of the electric is impressive, when you twist the "throttle", there is no symphony playing. Sometimes the noise is the best part!

(And I do mean symphony. A H/D is more like a 3 year old beating pots and pans together)

Does anyone know what these bikes do when you let go of the throttle? Do they coast or is there some feature that simulates engine braking? That would take some getting used to but I'd like to try :nod

I guess it all matters what the reasons are, you like motorcycles and what brought you into this hobby?

do you like the two-wheeled method of low cost transport?
do you like the ride and challenge of operating a two-wheeled vehicle?
do you like the internal combustion engine with its smell, noise and performance?
any other reasons?

From there, you should easily be able to deduct whether electric bikes are for you or not.

Does anyone know what these bikes do when you let go of the throttle? Do they coast or is there some feature that simulates engine braking? That would take some getting used to but I'd like to try :nod

I have yet to ride one so no first hand experience. I expect there is some drag; however, from what I have read the sensation is described as free wheeling. The addition of KERS in the form of regenerative braking systems may add to the effect. What I have noticed in all the advertising is the emphasis on the bake capacity.

You could always put bigass speakers on it and play whatever exhaust sounds suited your purpose (GP bike for the twisties, Harley for cruising, etc) Imagine the possibilities.

Ya know...... You might be on to something there... Actually I think in the movie "The Dilema" they did that same exact things... made big block sounds for an electric car....

Back