• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Then and Now Images

Steve
I went thru' Saguache this year. I sort of like the town. Old buildings, but a number of them still in use, and being repaired for use.
Do you have any photos from over there?
dc

Nicely done, Kevin! I love this thread.

Indeed Kevin... outstanding. Thanks much!

David... Saguache is a nice place on the northern end of the San Luis Valley isn't it. Good observation about attempts to spruce things up in the small downtown area. There is some civic pride there, or at least interest in not letting the old town fade into San Luis soil. You know, all I have are pics of the bike while passing through Saguache, like this one...

d5sag.jpg

But I have never lined up the today, with the yesterday. Would be nice to find this spot wouldn't it... Saguache 1920's. Though one might have to borrow a ladder or stand on the roof of someone's car! Noting the hillside in the distance, and the angle of the sun (late morning), plus the hint of a celebration... probably preparation for a July 4th parade (very popular community activity back then), this is probably looking north up the main downtown street. The image with my bike above is looking south.

saguache1920.jpg

One block to the south, in front of the theater is where I stopped. On the right at the far end you can just see the old hotel, now for sale and perhaps could be rehabbed into a b&b. Where the cars are on the right is where the old/new diner is, which maybe used to be a general store, or bar? Who knows?
The interesting thing was that the diner got the state or county to put up an official road sign to the north, which said "Central Business District" or Old BD, and "Diner/Bakery" with an arrow down that way.
Interesting that they got someone to do that. It cause me to go down there, and enjoy a nice lunch in a nice old building with a nice bunch of people at the diner.
Rather than the other lunch place out on the main road.
And to see the old buildings, and their state of repair (or not), which I like to see.
dc

David, Sounds like a special and memorable time in Saguache. Haven't found many old images of the town, but there are a few. These are from 1890 - 1910...

This courthouse remains today and would be an easy then/now capture...
sagcourt.jpg

The Cresent Building. Not sure it exists today. When I can I sometimes ask a local or passersby if they know the town well, and if the structure remains...
sagcrescent.jpg

This is an old one. Denver Ave runs east - west, and the faint hillsides on the horizon will help determine the location of this image...
sagdenver.jpg

Here's the mercantile store...
sagmercantile.jpg

OK, your descriptions of where you stopped and what you saw had me launching Google Street view. I sometimes do this to see if a reference if an old image can be found/still exists. Note the mercantile building above. I think the one below might be it. Note some of the details, like the tiles around the windows! Also, note the Google car reflection in the window!

sagmercantiletoday.jpg

While cruising the downtown area via Google Street View it is possible the three buildings seen on the left below (yellow, orange, beige) are the same three buildings on the left from the Fourth of July pic in the previous post...

saguachetoday.jpg

Back