• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Booster Plug...anyone have one on a F650cs?

That is a solid question!

I was just curious. Is much as I am told my 2 spark is supposed to be smooth I do still feel it is a touch surgy at slower speeds. Maybe it would iron out some little wrinkles? Has any one tried one?

I don't have experience with one; nor do I have a twin spark. If iy works like the techlusion units, the results vary. Your fuel economy will probably suffer as most of these units work by convincing the computer that a richer mixture is needed. Most, if not all, post 2000 bikes have been leaned way down by the manufacturers to better comply with EPA regs.

Booster Plug Installed

I don't have experience with one; nor do I have a twin spark. If iy works like the techlusion units, the results vary. Your fuel economy will probably suffer as most of these units work by convincing the computer that a richer mixture is needed. Most, if not all, post 2000 bikes have been leaned way down by the manufacturers to better comply with EPA regs.

I have an 03 F650 CS, single spark, fuel injected, after installing it the throttle response was smoother, got ride of the surging problems. My fuel economy went up by 2 mpg. I think this is because the throttle response is not jumpy anymore, smoother on and off the throttle. The performance improvement was noticeable.

Put one on my wife's '03 650 GS last year, I always was bothered by the borderline lean surge, and lack of throttle response due to the lean conditions. It made a noticeable difference, and didn't hurt the mileage at all. I actually enjoy riding her bike now.

This is the same thing as the "booster" and the one i used for $75, http://www.wukaking.com/home.html

Put one on my '10 F800GS too, big improvement on the jerky throttle response.

The "booster plug" industry has been around longer than you may think.

Back in the '70s I ordered a kit for my Opel Manta. I received ...

larger main jet
Softer distributor advance spring

After 2K miles on Bike

I installed the Booster Plug and have put 2K miles on it now. For all that people that thinks this is smoke and mirrors it is not. The enjoyment this has given me is priceless. The bike is a changed performance machine. I cannot believe the difference in starting, throttle response and not a hint of surging.:clap

When EGR first showed up in the 70s the std drill to get performance back was to install faster advance springs (distributors were still mechanical with points except on some Mopars), advance timing as far as one could get away with without knock under load, and richen the fuel mixtures- simple jet changes in the carb or sometimes a new carb with a better accelerator pump- judged by the now mostly irrelevant and arcane art of reading plugs (not nearly as easy to do well for tuning purposes as some think)

I once modded a 6 cyl, auto tranny Duster to the point it would smoke its tires from a standing start just by toeing the pedal- of course we didn't have today's radials either.

Now if you hope to accomplish anything you better understand sensor controlled injection systems and be ready to play with electronics. The tradeoff is that if you're willing to use all of today's tools you can alter anything or everything. There's a different problem today- a lot of today's stuff is made in a way the altering it to substantially to increase airflow is difficult and/or expensive (without boost)- and with engines being air pumps, that's the fundamental thing that has to happen if you want a bunch more power.

Fixing driveability is a lot simpler, fortunately. But it has been clearly show that the adaptives in both the Motronic and BMS-K engine management computers give priority to the oxygen sensor (as would be expected) and also adapt to the presence of changes directed at the other sensors over time. The effects of items altering other sensors will be greatest at installation and will be altered to an unpredictable extent over time.

The shortcut to increasing power a lot today is boost- turbo or supercharger. Air flow increases (and therefore power increases) of 30-100% are easily done, depending on the base motor. All on street gas.

Back