Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 Gasoline

It sounds like a good deal fro the consumer. Just go for the cheapest gas in your area. It's got some Shell nitrogen along with some Teshron and bit of this and that. It's all good
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Dagnabbit! I'm movin ta Floreeda, pull my pants dang near up to my chest an sit around ta complain bout da Gov'mint.
    made me laugh and think of this!

Since nothing really will ever be done with the system as it seems to be,without talkin' the P word here EXXONMOBILTEXACOSHELLARCOBPSUNOCO Inc will continue to get in our pockets and our tanks if we want to enjoy the road
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Nickname: Droid
    Yeah, for all the complaining about 10% Ethanol blended gas, at least we have plenty of it, easily available, cheapest in the major economies, and we still get to enjoy our internal combustion soul movers for years to come.

Electric bikes "may" be more powerful, instant torque and all, but they'll never have the soundtrack to go with the power.

Aww, screw it, I'm still gonna pull my pants up to my nipples and complain about the government!

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    It sounds like a good deal fro the consumer. Just go for the cheapest gas in your area. It's got some Shell nitrogen along with some Teshron and bit of this and that. It's all good
    Ok, my local car dealership wants to put nitrogen in my tires. If I buy gas shocks, I can get nitrogen in them. Shell or BP wants to sell me gas with nitrogen. If I buy a Guinness pint, they'll use nitrogen to pressurize the keg.

Only one (ok, maybe two) of the four is really improved if you use nitrogen.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by Typ181R90 View Post
    I understand what you mean though, the current practice of gas storage would be like taking wine from a variety of producers, mixing it and then just selling it as wine instead of specifically by field or grower which I'd say is unethical, but surprise, oil companies tend not to share the same ethical standards as the rest of us
    Have you tried the house wine at Trader Joe's............pretty good and cheap..........because it's blended from surplus. Of course, I'm a beer drinker so my wine standards are a bit on the modest level.

Sometimes, living off the scrap pile isn't so bad..........
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Hey typ181R90, I think I now understand whats going on, as I now remember how we used to see Tony Soprano driving by your workplace/terminal.
    I thought of this discussion when in the shop yesterday & heard a NASCAR driver advertising how not only did he use ethanol in his race car it was great for his family car too! Guess that settles the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Ok, my local car dealership wants to put nitrogen in my tires. If I buy gas shocks, I can get nitrogen in them. Shell or BP wants to sell me gas with nitrogen. If I buy a Guinness pint, they'll use nitrogen to pressurize the keg.

Only one (ok, maybe two) of the four is really improved if you use nitrogen.
    And this bit of info...glad Shell is helping out by adding MORE

I have seen the Nitrogen air pumps at a Honda shop recently...paying for what already is 80% or so naturally there?

Plucked from this site:
    http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107/...mposition.html

NITROGEN goes bad: Under high temperatures, like in a jet engine or car engine, nitrogen will combine with oxygen to form a class of toxic compounds called nitrogen oxides. The simplest having one nitrogen and one oxygen (NO). Others have two nitrogens and one oxygen (N2O), one nitrogen and two oxygens (NO2), and the fourth has two of each (N2O2). Their names (in order) are nitrogen oxide, dinitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide, and dinitrogen dioxide. Nitrogen dioxide has a brownish appearance and is often what you see in polluted cities.

One Last Look at Compostion of Air: Imagine the volume of air in a typical classroom that is 30 feet by 30 feet with a 10 foot high ceiling. Also assume, we separated all the gases. Oxygen would cover the room to about 2 feet deep. Nitrogen would fill almost to the ceiling (another 8 feet minus a couple of inches). Argon gas would fill a one inch layer over the whole room. The remaining gases fill the last one inch. Carbon dioxide has about the same volume of one student. Neon is 1.5 gallons. Helium would fill a one liter bottle. Methane gas would fill someone's 1/2 liter bottle. Krypton would fill a 12 oz soda can. Hydrogen would fill about half of a 12 oz soda can. And xenon gas would have the volume of a pencil's eraser.
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    And this bit of info...glad Shell is helping out by adding MORE

I have seen the Nitrogen air pumps at a Honda shop recently...paying for what already is 80% or so naturally there?

NITROGEN goes bad: ...................

I'm doing my part..........

1) Even I wait to meet the person that gets the nitrogen gas service for their tires. They have to be special in many ways.
    2) The BP station switched brands, so that dilemma is gone
    3) The gas struts on my cars trunk lid haven't worked in years

but,

I can't give-up on the Guinness.................

na1g
    I'm going to buy up stock in nitrogen-producing companies. It's clearly the wave of the future.

And henzilla wrote: "Carbon Dioxide has about the same volume as one student." I think I had that student in class. Several, in fact.

pete

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Hey typ181R90, I think I now understand whats going on, as I now remember how we used to see Tony Soprano driving by your workplace/terminal.
    I thought of this discussion when in the shop yesterday & heard a NASCAR driver advertising how not only did he use ethanol in his race car it was great for his family car too! Guess that settles the whole thing?
    well that covers two out of four sources of info- TV and Radio. now all we need is a book extolling the benefits of ethanol in gasoline and a couple positive internet articles...
    and we're set!

hey! *they* wouldn't lie to us....

would they?

Speaking of TV...

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/05/12/s...-gas-stations/

http://www.texasagriculture.gov/Regu...Complaint.aspx

It does concern me that in a number of states gasoline is found under the category of agriculture.

E
    Last edited by Easy; 01-21-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    It does concern me that in a number of states gasoline is found under the category of agriculture.
    That has always been as strange as the Railroad Commissions role in the oil business in TX. The Ag oversight of fuel fits better now with corn fuel than it did years ago!
    Steve Henson

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    That has always been as strange as the Railroad Commissions role in the oil business in TX. The Ag oversight of fuel fits better now with corn fuel than it did years ago!
    Railroads and oil..............it's a natural fit.

Rockefeller found that out

Most places I've been the price difference for name brand gas and discount gas is two cents. That's about a dime a motorcycle fill up. For a dime I'll go first class even if it's not a sure difference.

From what I read the Top Tier idea came from auto manufacturers who were having problems dealing with early design gummed up fuel injection systems under warranty. They determined that federal requirements for detergents in gasoline were too low. The Top Tier companies agree to use adequate levels of additives. That's worth two cents a gallon to me.

As recently as a couple years ago Exxon-Mobil did not participate in the program. Now they do.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

Nickname: Droid
    I have said this many a time about my 94RS, in 17 years and 164K of riding it I have not had ONE single fuel related issue. Still on the original untouched injectors, fuel pump, fuel regulator, only one fuel filter, bike runs great all the time.

Maybe it is because I tend to stick to the bigger name brands and their mixes of additives. Maybe its because I use at least two bottles of Chevron Techron through the fuel system per 10K of miles. Dunno, but I have seen a lot more bikes in the shop at Nick's BMW with fuel related problems and gummed up fuel systems.

Of course, regularly riding the bike makes a big difference too.