Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Does BMW need a water cooled boxer?

Jack Herbst
    We don'nt need no stinkin watercooled engines. Just design a damn useful seat that we do not have to spend another $500 dollars to replace!

I have more power than I need now. Design some comfort and a lower frame for a change. And while your at it how about those six fuel strips I have replaced. Couldn't you have done a better job on that. Thier engineers are all Dutch-tall and long legs yea?

there I said it and I feel better!

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Sadly, all this a moot point unless BMW perfects a bullet-proof Final Drive.
    They did....the monoshock Airheads!!!!!
    Gerald P
    The last thing I want to be is just like everyone else...
    1985 R80RT
    1969 Sport Fury Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by wecm31 View Post
    It's stone simple to handle 50 horsepower, indeed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    We don'nt need no stinkin watercooled engines. Just design a damn useful seat that we do not have to spend another $500 dollars to replace! Jack
    We get to have the watercooled engines because of government regulations and testing. They can't test our *** the comfort so they cana't regulate the seat.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wecm31 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It's stone simple to handle 50 horsepower, indeed.
    Paul,
    how much trouble did you ever have with your K's final drives, out of curiosity? and what HP do they deliver?

(not to hijack the thread at all)

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wecm31 View Post

Paul,
    how much trouble did you ever have with your K's final drives, out of curiosity? and what HP do they deliver?

(not to hijack the thread at all)
    None - and K bikes range from 75 to 90 to 100 hp/

And the same bearing is used in the monolever Airheads, classic K bikes, and Oilheads. Horsepower, weight, and bumps matter.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

On the Road
    Just wondering does anyone know what affect, if any, the mandatory lube change has had on the final drive failure rate?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wkottd View Post
    Just wondering… does anyone know what affect, if any, the mandatory lube change has had on the final drive failure rate?

Bill
    Since nobody but BMW knows the real failure rate overall, I sincerely doubt anybody knows how many failures were prevented by getting debris out of the final drives with the first oil change.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 01-18-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Since nobody but BMW knows the real failure rate overall, I sincerely doubt anybody knows how many failures were prevented by getting debris out of the final drives with the first oil change.
    with modern lubricants lasting longer, it still does seem to make sense to do the first change far ahead of recommended mileages, in order to clear debris. too bad there's no available data for the consumer on this one, from BMW. i wonder if anyone has any sense of whether or not other brands of motorcycle have had problems with their own shaft/final drives?

None - and K bikes range from 75 to 90 to 100 hp/

And the same bearing is used in the monolever Airheads, classic K bikes, and Oilheads. Horsepower, weight, and bumps matter.
    hmmm. well that seems to lead us back to the discussion about HP *needs*- tho HP seems also (in this instance) to be a by-product of the new motor, with the intended end result being reduced emissions... i guess the bikes have gotten generally a bit heavier, too as of late. will overall bike weight increase with the advent of the new liquid cooled motor?

also:
    think folks nowadays are riding farther & faster than ever before?
    was the final drive on the Oilheads as bullet proof as on the Airheads & Ks?

hmmm. well that seems to lead us back to the discussion about HP *needs*- tho HP seems also (in this instance) to be a by-product of the new motor, with the intended end result being reduced emissions... i guess the bikes have gotten generally a bit heavier, too as of late. will overall bike weight increase with the advent of the new liquid cooled motor?

also:
    think folks nowadays are riding farther & faster than ever before?
    was the final drive on the Oilheads as bullet proof as on the Airheads & Ks?
    Actually, the R1200s got significantly LIGHTER than the 1100s and 1150s. And the final drive problems seemed to begin with the 1150s, which had essentially the same design as the 1100s.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Actually, the R1200s got significantly LIGHTER than the 1100s and 1150s. And the final drive problems seemed to begin with the 1150s, which had essentially the same design as the 1100s.
    yes but how much heavier were those models compared to vintage Ks and airheads?
    pardon my lack of knowing but are the 1100S and 1150S in the Oilhead family?

yes but how much heavier were those models compared to vintage Ks and airheads?
    pardon my lack of knowing but are the 1100S and 1150S in the Oilhead family?
    Unladen weight fully fueled:
    R100R (airhead): 480 lb
    K100: 528 lb
    R1100R: 517 lb
    R1150R: 524 lb
    R1200R: 491 lb

The R1200R got very close to the weight of an airhead. K bikes were the heavy weights.

The R1100S is an oilhead. BMW did not make a R1150S to my knowledge.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

BMW did not make an 1150S, the 1100S was superceded by the R1200S, which is a horse of a vastly different color than the 1100S.

FYI, wet weight of an R1100S is 230kg, 506 pounds.
    Bill Johnston

johnnywishbone

i did not know that! i thought it felt kinda light.

[QUOTE=MarkM;741377]Unladen weight fully fueled:
    R100R (airhead): 480 lb
    K100: 528 lb
    R1100R: 517 lb
    R1150R: 524 lb
    R1200R: 491 lb

The R1200R got very close to the weight of an airhead. K bikes were the heavy weights.

i love my RT. i saw this bike and had to have it. i just sold an older 930 P-car so it was doable. it feels "same thing only different" compared to the RT. like, apples and oranges different. i really like it. 491 pounds? i did not know that. j