Thread: New BMW owner in San Diego!

benthic

New BMW owner in San Diego!

Hi all!
    To introduce myself:

I took the MSF course here in San Diego back in May 2011, quickly bought a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit, and promptly crashed it in some local twisties. I spent the next month healing and fixing my bike - the fixing was entirely new to me and mostly cosmetic. The experience was obviously a great lesson in many ways, but it also awakened a hitherto unknown passion for beautiful motorcycles and the desire to make one myself. On December 21, 2011, I couldn't resist anymore and I bought a 1978 BMW R80/7.

It is amazing to find such a passionate assemblage of BMW owners and I hope to learn a lot and make some friends here

consider me the newest Airhead
    Spencer

Welcome to the BMOA. I'm sure you will enjoy the many things offered by our club. Looks like you've got a great bike going there. Your next assignment, will be to ride to the 40th annual MOA International Rally in Sedalia, MO in July, 19th - 22nd. Your sure to have a great time. And thanks for joining. Just don't tell us about how nice you weather is in your neck of the woods. Some of us have to deal with cold weather part of the year..
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Hello Spencer from next door, so to speak. Welcome!
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    Just don't tell us about how nice you weather is in your neck of the woods. Some of us have to deal with cold weather part of the year..

If it makes you feel any better, I left San Diego on Sunday morning to ride up to LA. At 6:30 AM, it was 29 degrees.

Spencer, welcome!

Wow, I guess I did not know it gets that cold in that area of the country. Still, we have been spoiled so far this season with weather in the mid-40's to mid 50's fr highs. Tomorrow though, temps drop into the 20's with 1-3" of snow. I hate snow!
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

benthic
    yeah, it is chilly in the mornings right now, but we can't really complain - San Diego is awesome

Thanks for the warm welcomes!
    Spencer

Welcome Spencer

consider me the newest Airhead
    Only in the nicest sense on the word.
    08 F800ST, 07 R1200RT
    blog
    - Owen

Welcome to the Forum

Welcome Spencer. That is a nice looking airhead. Mine in a '78 also; It was a might fine year.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

San Diego

Welcome Spencer,

I was from San Diego. I lived in Allied Gardens for most my life and now I live and work Naples, Florida. I ride an R1200RT now. When I lived in SD I rode a R90/6 1976 BMW...Ahh...when life was simple!

I miss the mountains of San Diego dropping down into the desert then back home to the beach. Wow, can't do that here in Florida!!

In .....One and a half years we are moving to Scottsdale Arizona...We (my wife and I) will ride the SD mountains and cruise the Borrego Springs desert once again. Maybe our trails will pass and we will meet up!
    Welcome!

Dennis Trovato
    2009 R1200RT BMW
    Dennis and Karin Trovato

Spencer.. that bike is gorgeous. Congrats!

Talking

Nice machine..congrats

benthic
    Thanks all

I've been having fun messing around with the bike. It's a blast to ride but needs some tlc and maintenance. Luckily I found Mike V., and he's been giving me oodles of help and advice.

If anyone's interested, some pics of my progress are at:

http://www.blindfishz.com/Topside/19...0761995_xgswwS

It's all basic stuff, but I'm having a good time learning.
    Spencer