Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camp Lantern

Camp Lantern

I'm interested in a led camp lantern but have never used one.

Some recommendations from experienced users would be helpful. Thanks
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Intermediate Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    We have a small and large Black Diamond lantern and are very happy with them. Here is a link to a good price.

Campmor

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    We have a small and large Black Diamond lantern and are very happy with them. Here is a link to a good price.

Campmor
    Thanks for the link.

Is your small lantern the Apollo or the Orbit model?
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

+1 for the Black Diamond lantern. Small enough for backpacking, yet powerful enough to provide general illumination for your camp site.

Collapsed it is about 4" high, with a diameter about 2" at the maximum. Extended it is about 5-1/2" high.

The on-off switch is protected when in the collapsed position.

Enough light for one person to read by, but in no way will it be mistaken for a Coleman gas lantern.

Recommended.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

'Nuther thumbs-up for the Black Diamond LED lanterns. They also offer a bigger one (Titan?) than either the Orbit or Apollo if you are so inclined.

Regards,
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

I guess I'll just have to get one and try it out.

I have an 8'x7' tent and the center hight is just under 5'. I'd like to be able to read while sitting without straining my eyes. I just don't know how many lumens it takes to do that. I'm guesing around 100. I also want to keep the size of the lantern to a minimum.

Here's one that's interesting

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...,45454&p=66741
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Talking

For reading both inside and outside my tent I've always used a head lamp. Also good for walking/finding things at night. Almost worthless durning the day.

Led light/lantern

I've camped all my life, and went shopping for a new lantern.
    Well, things have changed. LED, although not totally proven in all applications presently is the only way to go. ( A signal supervisor for Amtrak, constantly replacing $200.00 LED's instead of $1.00 bulbs).

I've recently travelled with an Apollo, Black Diamond 80 lumens lantern.
    It's suberb, should be at $50.00 retail, no heat issues, can be positioned on the bike at night, packs super small.
    So good, I bought one for my son for packbacking/hiking/camping for Xmas.
    It dims, and is soft on the 4 AA batteries.
    Perfect for the cycle.
    My two cents.
    Reel Job/ RI/ 2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Zaasu View Post
    For reading both inside and outside my tent I've always used a head lamp. Also good for walking/finding things at night. Almost worthless durning the day.
    A Petzl Tikka lives in the tank bag. It's used when camping and when working on the bike. The 3 LEDs provide plenty of light for reading in the low (battery sipping) mode. I use sanyo eneloop rechargeable batteries (very slow self discharge rate) and charge them maybe once a season. I've yet had to go to the backup batteries that I take, just-in-case. The current version of my model is the Tikka2.

For a lantern I currently use a Coleman LED version which is no longer available. At the time I purchased it it was smaller than the Black diamond when closed, put out almost the same amount of light, and was about 30% cheaper. It was similar to this but was rectangular and used regular batteries, not the expensive CR123A.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

For a lantern I currently use a Coleman LED version which is no longer available. At the time I purchased it it was smaller than the Black diamond when closed, put out almost the same amount of light, and was about 30% cheaper. It was similar to this but was rectangular and used regular batteries, not the expensive CR123A.
    Could it have been this one I found in an Aerostich ad? No personal experience, it just reminded me of this thread when I saw the picture.

headlamp + spare batteries. Everything should be dual or multi purpose otherwise you will end up carrying way too much stuff.

I'm in the process of upgrading some of my equipment. My camping gear is all the same as I used for backpacking.

Sierra designs Clip Flashlight 2 person replaced with Kelty Salida 4
    Keeping my vintage headlamp and adding LED lantern
    I'm keeping my Esbit solid fuel stove as I mostly boil water and and make simple meals. I may upgrade in the future.
    The rest of my gear is fine for now.

Incidentally I have a lot of solid fuel cubes if someone needs some
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Could it have been this one I found in an Aerostich ad? No personal experience, it just reminded me of this thread when I saw the picture.
    Yep, that's the one. A friend found them on sale for about that price a year or three ago and a bunch of us bought some. The only bad thing was the super cheap mini-carabiner that came with it to hang it from a tent loop. I tossed it, using loop of velcro in the tent, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Yep, that's the one. A friend found them on sale for about that price a year or three ago and a bunch of us bought some. The only bad thing was the super cheap mini-carabiner that came with it to hang it from a tent loop. I tossed it, using loop of velcro in the tent, instead.

very nice
    This one is on my finalist list
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Olsensan View Post
    headlamp + spare batteries. Everything should be dual or multi purpose otherwise you will end up carrying way too much stuff.
    The wally world version headlamp with 3 LEDS is great-better than the name brand headlamps I've owned for yrs!