• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Motor Maids

CaptainR12C

Captain R12C
Any Motor Maids here? Ladies that haven't heard of this organization, please check it out! Motor Maids rock! Convention this year is in Spartansburg, SC!

In 1940 Motor Maids, Inc. was established as a women's motorcycling organization in North America. It is the first and oldest continuously operated women's motorcycling organization.

With approximately 1,200 members across the United States and Canada, the Motor Maids are a diverse group of women motorcyclists united through a passion for riding while fostering a positive image and promoting safe riding skills.

www.motormaids.org

Yes, there are Motor Maids here

I am a member of that wonderful organization--Very rich in history and great ladies that love each other and share their passion of riding. Since being a member I have ridden to the west coast three times for Conventions, Canada, Maine, and many areas beyond.-member since 2005. One great thing is the diversity of the women who are members-from 16 to 90 years of age,all occupations-authors, bike builders, motorcycle speed record holders, mothers, grandmothers, soldiers,and on and on. Thanks for taking note of us. One of the things that sets up apart from others-besides being the oldest organized ladies riding group-is that we ride!! One must own and ride their bike to vote and have a voice at Convention. Most of us make it an adventure and do touring on the way.

Local chapters

I went to the Motor Maids web site and couldn't find any information about local chapters. I belonged to Women on Wheels for years but found that most of the members didn't ride very much. I'd be interested in checking out MM. Is there a chapter in the northern Illinois area?

I went to the Motor Maids web site and couldn't find any information about local chapters. I belonged to Women on Wheels for years but found that most of the members didn't ride very much. I'd be interested in checking out MM. Is there a chapter in the northern Illinois area?

Mary, when on the web site, click on "contact us" "district directors". A bunch of state license plates will pop up. Click on Illinois and you'll get the email address for the District Director.

I've been a member for a year now and I LOVE IT!! I went to the convention in Michigan this past July and had a grand time. I met THEE most wonderful women. It's empowering!

If you still have trouble getting a hold of the district director, please email me and I'll investigate further.

tapshoes100@Hotmail.com

Happy Trails!

Any Motor Maids here? Ladies that haven't heard of this organization, please check it out! Motor Maids rock! Convention this year is in Spartansburg, SC!

I've heard of them and tried to connect with the group in NH. Apparently I was not desireable as a potential member when it became obvious that I ride a BMW. The introductory ride I was told about started from a Harley dealer. When I indicated some interest I did not get a reply back. Disappointing and my feeling is that if the mindset is that closed then I have no interest in participating. So I ride either alone or with the men in my club.

Ah, well!

Rapunzel

I've heard of them and tried to connect with the group in NH. Apparently I was not desireable as a potential member when it became obvious that I ride a BMW. The introductory ride I was told about started from a Harley dealer. When I indicated some interest I did not get a reply back. Disappointing and my feeling is that if the mindset is that closed then I have no interest in participating. So I ride either alone or with the men in my club.

Ah, well!

Rapunzel

Rapunzel, i am very sorry to hear about your ordeal. could it have been an email lost in cyberspace????

I have met an AMAZING group of women. Would you consider trying again? What about the MA district?

Ah, well!

Rapunzel

Diann was a Motor Maid for years in Toronto Ontario, she eventually became dissatisfied with them as they became more Harley oriented, in her opinion.

She remains in touch with some of the members, and went on a Partitour of Europe with a group of fellow Motor Maids in 1992..........Rod.

Also consider looking into Women on Wheels. They are celebrating 30 years. I've been a member for 3 years. It's great to be part of a national women's group, but the local groups do vary - some are very active & unfortunately some are not. But give them a look.

Women In The Wind is another international women's riding organization that has been around 30 + years. We have a chapter here in WA state, you can find the chapters on the website.

Rapunzel, i am very sorry to hear about your ordeal. could it have been an email lost in cyberspace????

I have met an AMAZING group of women. Would you consider trying again? What about the MA district?

Pardon my delay in replying - my logon got a bit messed up for a while. I don't think the email was lost in cyberspace because the account I was communicating from hasn't had that problem historically (knock on wood!). That email account uses "Rapunzelbmw" which makes it pretty obvious that I'm connected to things BMW. This is not the first time that I've run into the closed mind of a H-D rider - sad to say. At least, that's my perception of how this particular communication played out. I might try again but thru the MA contact. My issue there is that I am extremely close to NH and it is usually less time consuming to get to NH activities.

I looked into Women on Wheels many years ago and was put off by the number very obviously "masculine" women and all the members of the particular club I visited rode H-Ds. Loud ones at that. So I didn't pursue that either. But that was a long time ago and I was newly single after the dissolution of a 17-year marriage.

My personal issues of associating with any group that is strongly H-D is definitely a hindrance but is rooted in very real and negative life experiences and I don't care to repeat them. It limits me because the H-D population here in New England is huge and they run the gamut of those who are all-inclusive riders to those who overtly condescend to those who do not ride a H-D. Then there are the ones who ride with colors..... However, I have to admit that on my first ride of this season it was a real hoot to pass lone H-D male riders, wave to them, see their look of astonishment, and then watch in the rearview mirror as they turned their head to look back at me. I was laughing.

All that said, I wish there was a women's BMW club.

Keep the shiney side up!

Last edited:
thanks for these posts ladies

I am not new to BMWMOA, just new to this forum.

I am one of those riders who own and ride both a Beemer and a Harley.
I quit the HOG chapter 12 years ago because of the attitudes of most Harley riders:
"if it ain't a V-twin, then it's crap", or " is that a sewing machine you're ridin, there?" to which I proudly replied: "yes its a German sewing machine, and will outrun that Milwaukee tractor any day!"
While Motor Maids and other women's groups have history, they lack the hard core riders that we, the BMW community, have.
There are Harley riders who do ride alot, long distance. I see them in the middle of nowhere all the time.
We could start a all womens online riders group as adjunct to BMWMOA: like Ladies of Harley is to H.O.G. sort of.

keep ridin, and don't let the HD clones get you down!!!

You know, I thought that too way back in the 70's when I started riding. But the welcoming attitude I found among BMW riders, male and female, made me soon decide that I didn't need separate. I've been nothing but encouraged in the BMW fold.

In fact, since I started riding, I've identified more with the class, RIDER, than with the class WOMAN. :groovy

Look for a local BMW club. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

And in Sedalia, just stop any rider. I expect you'll find a new friend.

Voni
sMiling

+1 I completely agree that we don't need any more divisions. I am a RIDER and am accepted as that by both men and women. Everyone I've ever met in the MOA has been welcoming and helpful. I usually show up at BMW rallies on a V-Star and it makes no difference.

Even better than stopping a rider in Sedalia, volunteer. You will meet so many new friends!

You know, I thought that too way back in the 70's when I started riding. But the welcoming attitude I found among BMW riders, male and female, made me soon decide that I didn't need separate. I've been nothing but encouraged in the BMW fold.

In fact, since I started riding, I've identified more with the class, RIDER, than with the class WOMAN. :groovy

Voni
sMiling

I sooo agree with Voni! I, also connect with "rider" more than "female rider". The guys in my club are just awesome! There are so many riding styles. If I want fast technical riding, I ride with "those guys", if I want slow, roam the countryside, I ride with "those guys", if I want long days, then those are usually solo. But no matter what there is always someone around that wants to ride!

I do belong to a "lady rider group" locally but I usually just meet them for the monthly dinners, I don't usually ride with them, but they are a very nice group.

I've met riders from all over the country and I have yet to meet one that "snubbed" me. They are usually very nice.

Have fun with your MM group, I've always heard nice things about them. :thumb

Voni
sMiling

Thanks, Voni. Actually I am in a local club. It's a small club and there are only 2 women who ride in it and I'm one of them. I took a little hiatus from it for about 5 years (never let my membership lapse tho) and when I got back into going to club events it was so much like going home. I don't think I'll let myself get derailed from that again. Looking forward to Sedalia and I'll be sure to attend the womens seminar. If you see a silver R1150R that looks too short, that's my bike! Stop and say hi!

Rapunzel:D

Last edited:
I've met riders from all over the country and I have yet to meet one that "snubbed" me. They are usually very nice.

I'm glad you've never been ""snubbed" as it were. I have been and believe it or not the most recent was at a BMW rally! Every time I joined my camping neighbors for rally chit chat they would all disperse! I'm just another BMW rider like everyone else. That experience was kinda surprising actually as I had never run into before. Mostly riders like to talk with other riders no matter the marquee (sp?)! So, I'll keep riding and rallying when I can.

Keep the shiney side up!

rapunzel

Hi Ladies,

I've been reading this thread with interest. When my Pop bought me my first two-wheeled vehicle (1959 Lambretta) in 1963, I had no idea that bikes would be such a huge part of my life. I haven't been without one since, and they run the gamut from a 1948 UL Harley flathead to a 1949 BSA Bantam to a 1962 Norton 650SS cafe bike. I "graduated to a BMW" late in life, stumbling cross Millie, my 1980 R80/7 in the Fall of 2009. She was in small pieces and I got her for $500.00, and have LOTS of sweat and scraped knuckle equity in her. That same Fall I joined a local women's group, which was very loose and didn't last long, but I met a friend and she and I shared a campsite one weekend and came up with W.O.M.E.N.---"Women On Motorcycles Enjoying Nature". Some of the gals ride big honkin' V-twins (Harley's and clones) and I giggle and tell them they have to let me fire Millie up first so I can hear if she is running or not.

I've been across the country and back several times, and up and around the western States many times over the years---always alone, or perhaps with one gentleman friend. I've found riding with women a delightful experience, and our camp-and-ride group has six or seven campouts each summer. (And yes, several of the women are, as it was so delicately put, "masculine"....but we are there to ride and camp and laugh and have fun and that's all.)

I still love riding alone, and quite often do just that. I very much enjoy our little group outings. And I wave and get return waves from everyone from "outlaw" patch-holders to on-duty motorcycle cops. Over the years I've found that projecting a friendly, interested attitude will do wonders when meeting strangers, and it's *so* easy when you all share a love of two wheels. I suppose the one thing I enjoy most about a women's group is the lack of competitiveness----no one wants to be top dog. We all get along and we all have loads of fun!

Ranging far afield and at great length, I apologize for the size of the post.....honestly, I don't get paid by the word....:wave

Barb

Great post!

Hi Ladies,

I've been reading this thread with interest. When my Pop bought me my first two-wheeled vehicle (1959 Lambretta) in 1963, I had no idea that bikes would be such a huge part of my life. I haven't been without one since, and they run the gamut from a 1948 UL Harley flathead to a 1949 BSA Bantam to a 1962 Norton 650SS cafe bike. I "graduated to a BMW" late in life, stumbling cross Millie, my 1980 R80/7 in the Fall of 2009. She was in small pieces and I got her for $500.00, and have LOTS of sweat and scraped knuckle equity in her. That same Fall I joined a local women's group, which was very loose and didn't last long, but I met a friend and she and I shared a campsite one weekend and came up with W.O.M.E.N.---"Women On Motorcycles Enjoying Nature". Some of the gals ride big honkin' V-twins (Harley's and clones) and I giggle and tell them they have to let me fire Millie up first so I can hear if she is running or not.

I've been across the country and back several times, and up and around the western States many times over the years---always alone, or perhaps with one gentleman friend. I've found riding with women a delightful experience, and our camp-and-ride group has six or seven campouts each summer. (And yes, several of the women are, as it was so delicately put, "masculine"....but we are there to ride and camp and laugh and have fun and that's all.)

I still love riding alone, and quite often do just that. I very much enjoy our little group outings. And I wave and get return waves from everyone from "outlaw" patch-holders to on-duty motorcycle cops. Over the years I've found that projecting a friendly, interested attitude will do wonders when meeting strangers, and it's *so* easy when you all share a love of two wheels. I suppose the one thing I enjoy most about a women's group is the lack of competitiveness----no one wants to be top dog. We all get along and we all have loads of fun!

Ranging far afield and at great length, I apologize for the size of the post.....honestly, I don't get paid by the word....:wave

Barb

Barb,

What a wonderfulful story you tell! Thanks so much for sharing it. If I can ever get out to the west coast on two wheels I just might try to get in touch with you. I'm just back from a great ride and I enjoyed the heck out of my wandering ride through the hills of southern NH and VT.

Rapunzel

Back