• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cheap jumper cables

The R1200 CL & CLC have a ground and + terminal on the 2004 models that are easy to access and use. To charge my bike while its sitting in the garage I use one of the two power outlets just below the seat on the left side of the bike. You can buy a wired connector or make up your own. Easy to use and requires no addition or changes to the bikes wiring.

Neither my 2001 F650 Dakar nor Voni's F800S has any means of accessing the battery power (at any significant amperage for jump-starting) without removing plastic. When I bought my F650 it had a heavy gauge wire from the +12v battery post run to an insulated and covered post at an accessible location under the seat. I added a similar wire to Voni's F800S. Pop the seat and there it is. Use any good chassis ground for the negative cable clamp.

Good fix

Neither my 2001 F650 Dakar nor Voni's F800S has any means of accessing the battery power (at any significant amperage for jump-starting) without removing plastic. When I bought my F650 it had a heavy gauge wire from the +12v battery post run to an insulated and covered post at an accessible location under the seat. I added a similar wire to Voni's F800S. Pop the seat and there it is. Use any good chassis ground for the negative cable clamp.

I have a buddy who did a similar thing to his. After having to be jumped twice on one trip, he said he had to find a better way to jump the bike. I love the way bikers go about finding ways to keep their bikes on the road.

I would be interested in any details you could provide about a clean and neat install like yours. I was thinking about just running an insulated 8 gauge solid copper wire to a place under the seat. I am interested in what you used for the "covered post at an accessible location under the seat". That sounds better than trying to clamp a jumper cable to a wire. What did you use for the "covered post"?

I was thinking about just running an insulated 8 gauge solid copper wire

Definitely don't want to use SOLID copper... too prone to vibration and breakage; stranded copper would be mo'betta.

Back