Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suggestions needed for ride up to Nova Scotia

Turfman,
    Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind.
    Danny
    2011 BMW R1200RT - 2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited
    2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

Hear that ticking sound? jnerges's Avatar
    Hi All,

Getting ready to make this trip, starting in late August. My brother in law and I did a similar in 2007, from Seattle to the Arctic Circle. This time is a bit different. He is self employed, great guy who puts Corvair engines in airplanes: www.flycorvair.com

I am retiring from the military after 30 years in health care and a few deployments. I just need some time to think and a trip from Key West to Cape Breton is a once in a life time journey. I plan on using the time to clear out my head and take the time out I have desperately wanted for the last 3 decades. We will leave right around labor day, there are a few things I would like to see. We will loop the outer banks unless another hurricane screws up the road, take as many ferries as is reasonable.

We will certainly do the Cabot trail. To tell the truth, I would like to do NF too but that may be a Ferry too far. I expect it to take about 30 days, don't plan on rushing. This is the first break in a long time where I didn't have a tape playing in my head about what's next. I suspect some enlightening revelations.

Cheers,

John

John,
    Next year I'm doing the Washington to Prudhoe Bay, close to the trip that you took. I have ridden from South Florida to Canada before, but I have not done that area yet. We will be doing some of the same stuff, but at different times. Looking forward to seeing your pics when you get back.
    Danny
    2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

Bumblebug

Smile Bumblebug

A general note to several of the folks: The ferry from Cambobello to Deer Island ONLY RUNS IN JULY AND AUGUST. In May/June, you will end up returning to Lubec, and likely crossing into Canada at Calais, The only ferry to Western Nova Scotia now is the one from Saint John to Digby.
    If you decide to "do" Peggy's Cove, and then want to head up tp Cape Breton, and NOT do Halifax/Dartmouth, backtrack to Chester, and pick up Rt 14. followed carefully, this will land you on the 102 about halfway between Halifax and Truro. A better ride, (I think) is to pick up RT 236 just east of Windsor, which will take you to Truro, and give you a couple of chances to see tidal bores (depending on what the tide is doing at the time).
    In the Annapolis Valley, near Kentville, a motorcycla friendly motel id the Sun Valley, at Coldbrook. If you are camping, lookup the BLuenose Rally Site. We own the campground, and it doesn't go away after (or before!) the rally. (June 29-July 1, 2012)..

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebug View Post
    A general note to several of the folks: The ferry from Cambobello to Deer Island ONLY RUNS IN JULY AND AUGUST. In May/June, you will end up returning to Lubec, and likely crossing into Canada at Calais, The only ferry to Western Nova Scotia now is the one from Saint John to Digby.
    If you decide to "do" Peggy's Cove, and then want to head up tp Cape Breton, and NOT do Halifax/Dartmouth, backtrack to Chester, and pick up Rt 14. followed carefully, this will land you on the 102 about halfway between Halifax and Truro. A better ride, (I think) is to pick up RT 236 just east of Windsor, which will take you to Truro, and give you a couple of chances to see tidal bores (depending on what the tide is doing at the time).
    In the Annapolis Valley, near Kentville, a motorcycla friendly motel id the Sun Valley, at Coldbrook. If you are camping, lookup the BLuenose Rally Site. We own the campground, and it doesn't go away after (or before!) the rally. (June 29-July 1, 2012)..
    excellent points. Got caught with that ferry schedule once. Great little trip though..... in season. BTW, no Duty Free at this crossing so if it matters..... buy in NH and declare at the crossing. . Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Thanks for the updates.
    Just two months until the trip and boy are we are ready !!!!!

2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

Hear that ticking sound? jnerges's Avatar
    Went to the local AAA here in South Carolina and got a great set of maps. Not that I am known to follow a plan, map or etc...

What was I saying?

The round trip mileage estimate for my route is close to 6K. This is shaking out to be an epic trip. I will keep you posted.

If you make it to Cape Breton stay at the Normaway Inn in the Margaree Valley. Your wife will definitely like it.

http://www.thenormawayinn.com/home.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nova Scotia trip

I made the ride in September 2010 from NYC and went to the eastern end of Nova Scotia. The park that winds along the eastern coast was the highlight of the trip. I went north from NY along the Hudson and then cut over through MA, VT, NH and Maine (went through Skohegan, ME.) The most boring part of the trip was from the border of Maine to Nova Scotia but if you have time it may be more interesting to first explore the southwestern and south central coast of Nova Scotia before heading east to the park. I ran into another rider who had taken the ferry from NS over to Newfoundland which sounded great (even more remote). Watch out for Moose.

Mike_VT

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia is nice but after you've taken the ferry over to Newfoundland you'll be hooked.