• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggestions needed for ride up to Nova Scotia

vtbob

wanderer
Meat Cove on the north western tip of Nova Scotia is unique place to camp.
The Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Central Nova Scotia is WELL worth the visit. sup rising things were being done there.

Attend a Cailie (sp) along the Cabot Trail

Fort St Louis on the north eastern tip.

Lunenberg,
Campobello
Halifax fort/history

Danny,

-how tied into the May/June schedule?

- Are you intent on camping or are you planning on motels, B&Bs, etc.

- Upon arriving in Nova Scotia, how much time do you have?

- From what you know of Nova Scotia, is there anything that you find more interesting than something else? ie scenic, boats, museums, tours, food ("well, ya":eat), music, theater, pubs etc?

- if (...IF...) the ferry between Portland, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia does return this summer, is that something that you would look at? A Saint John, New Brunswick ferry goes to Digby, Nova Scotia and thus your visit starts at yet another entry point in the province. One if by land and two if by sea..... so to speak :) (unless you're coming by way of Nfld/Lab but that's another story)

- Bob

Bob,

how tied into the May/June schedule?
I am going to the Rolling Thunder ride the weekend of May 26 in Washington, DC. We are planning on just heading north from there. Yes, we are planning on going that timeframe. I know that it may be cold or wet, but that is OK with us. We are prepared for it.

- Are you intent on camping or are you planning on motels, B&Bs, etc.
The wife does not camp. Cheap motels and B&B's are great.

- Upon arriving in Nova Scotia, how much time do you have?
We should arrive there around May 30 or so. We have to be back to South Florida by June 9. We would have a few days to spend in that area. Looking to see PEI and Nova Scotia. Also, want to do the Cabbot Trail area.

- From what you know of Nova Scotia, is there anything that you find more interesting than something else? ie scenic, boats, museums, tours, food ("well, ya"), music, theater, pubs etc?
We like to have nice dinners in nice places with nice views. Not too picky about what we do when we get there. Last year in Maine, we did whale watching from a boat and that was great. We really like to ride and see the landscape and then relax in a nice small town with a nice meal. We like to see state and national parks with scenery and wild life.

- if (...IF...) the ferry between Portland, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia does return this summer, is that something that you would look at? A Saint John, New Brunswick ferry goes to Digby, Nova Scotia and thus your visit starts at yet another entry point in the province. One if by land and two if by sea..... so to speak (unless you're coming by way of Nfld/Lab but that's another story)
I would have to ask the wife if she is interested in a ferry ride. That might be fun. We are probably arriving via Maine.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny, this would be my suggestion: Save Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail for some other time. To me it looks like you have a healthy five days here in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island so the following map is a thought that I have so that you can have a decent flavour of the place. Takes you through an interesting route via Maine with small cable ferries, one big boat from Saint John to Digby (with a local visit out to Digby Neck). A run through an inland national park to the coast of Nova Scotia and up the coast through historic boat building and fishing communities. Great little pub in Chester and then on to Halifax (we have everything here :brow); from here then up to catch ferry to Prince Edward Island and to capital Charlottetown and then up along the north shore then back down to catch that magnificent bridge back to the mainland. Over to Moncton (Halifax like) and then down to St Stephen, New Brunswick and Calais, Maine for the ride home. 1,000 miles and five days will give you a decent taste of the territory. - Bob

fivedaytrip.jpg

Bob,
We are digesting all of this information.
We will probably follow this route somewhat. The road from Halifax to Truro looks like a main road and we may take the smaller road to the south.

Thanks,
Danny

Bob,
We are digesting all of this information.
We will probably follow this route somewhat. The road from Halifax to Truro looks like a main road and we may take the smaller road to the south.

Thanks,
Danny

I was going to PM you on this but I think that some others who are interested in taking this route might find it useful.

Here's an option out of Halifax: take what we call the 'new bridge', the McKay Bridge (two in Halifax-Dartmouth); that is technically route 111. Stay in right lane, pay $1.00 (a Loony coin up here), proceed straight for 4 miles and look for Route 318 off to the right (watch out for that crazy right lane about .5 miles before it that directs you to the airport; can be a trick to get out of that lane). Circle around and you're are going toward Waverley and Fall River (if it says Dartmouth turn around); if lost then just as someone where the Waverley Road is; 318 blends into #2 which will take you on the Old Truro Highway. 55 miles from turn off to Truro.

Lots of meandering roads can get you to Truro but they will be time consuming and maybe a tad bumpy. #318 and 2 are pleasant backroads.

If you plan on making it to Halifax then please let us know and we'll likely be around. By the time that you finalize your plans a few things may have changed in your plans so please feel free to PM on particulars. - Bob

Danny:

I rode up to NS in July 2010 with Don Eilenberger. Some thoughts & recollections.

1. From Bangor, rode ME-9 into NB, crossing at Calais (very easy border crossing), then CA-1 to Saint John. Very pretty town, with good food to be found down by the river. Wish I had seen the Reversing Rapids while there.

2. Took the ferry over to Digby, NS. It was a wet day, and the ferry’s parking deck was TREACHEROUS. Combination of humidity, and coolant/lubricants from vehicles. Maybe a bit of fish oil in there for good measure. Rode in & out employing my feet as outriggers. Hands off the brakes.

3. Crossed over to the eastern shore of NS, staying at the Quarterdeck Inn (recommended!) south of Liverpool. Then up along the coast to Halifax. Quite scenic. Stopped at Peggy’s Cove. Didn’t stop at Lunenburg; would have liked to. Halifax is a nice city, with good nightlife.

4. Crossed over to Truro on CA-102. Not heavily travelled. (NS drivers are most courteous to motorcyclists, from my experience.) Stopped at Truro to see the tidal bore; bucket-list item checked off.

5. Did Cape Breton Island clockwise, staying at the Glenora Distillery (if you like Scotch, you’ll enjoy this place) in Glenville, and the Telegraph House Motel in Baddeck. Weather cooperated, providing some spectacular vistas.

6. Returned to NB through Moncton, crossing back into Maine at St. Croix. Sleepy border crossing, so the US customs officials took the time to view everything in my bags.

7. NS has wonderful seafood!

Excellent trip. Might do it again, taking in PEI and the Gaspe Peninsula.

Last edited:
Danny, although difficult to see, on my map I have you crossing at Lubec, Maine and taking two small ferries. One from Campobello Island to Deer Island and the second from Deer Island onto the New Brunswick mainland. From there you about 50 miles from Saint John. This path is great fun and quite scenic. Riding on some boats gives you a better feel for this part of the world. As you fine tune and consider something close to my mapping will work, I can articulate all of the waterway options for you. Only the Digby ferry costs are significant (all others about $10 or less). $41 each and $51 for bike at this link http://www.acadiaferry.com/schedule-and-fares/ Cheaper to ride around but that is yet another option. - Bob

Some Pics

The Cabot Trail, riding clockwise.

Attachments

• 6694985505_d1f490f5cf.jpg
    6694985505_d1f490f5cf.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 129
Excellent dining, lodging, entertainment, and ... umm .... Scotch!

Attachments

• Nova Scotia 2010 and CA 195.jpg
    Nova Scotia 2010 and CA 195.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 123
The QuarterDeck Inn. Situated on a long beach (too cold for swimming, though) at Summerville Centre, NS. Good accomodations & dining.

Attachments

• Nova Scotia 2010 and CA 116.jpg
    Nova Scotia 2010 and CA 116.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 122
The QuarterDeck Inn. Situated on a long beach (too cold for swimming, though) at Summerville Centre, NS. Good accomodations & dining.

I know this place quite well (first marriage in church just down the road)... but that's another story. Excellent beach for walking with a river at the other end. Beautiful. And, although the water will be very cold in early June it is not so bad in July August..... unless yer from Florida :whistle:laugh - Bob

Hi All,

Getting ready to make this trip, starting in late August. My brother in law and I did a similar in 2007, from Seattle to the Arctic Circle. This time is a bit different. He is self employed, great guy who puts Corvair engines in airplanes: www.flycorvair.com :deal

I am retiring from the military after 30 years in health care and a few deployments.:dance I just need some time to think and a trip from Key West to Cape Breton is a once in a life time journey. I plan on using the time to clear out my head and take the time out I have desperately wanted for the last 3 decades. We will leave right around labor day, there are a few things I would like to see. We will loop the outer banks unless another hurricane screws up the road, take as many ferries as is reasonable.

We will certainly do the Cabot trail. To tell the truth, I would like to do NF too but that may be a Ferry too far. I expect it to take about 30 days, don't plan on rushing. This is the first break in a long time where I didn't have a tape playing in my head about what's next. I suspect some enlightening revelations.

Cheers,

John

John,
Next year I'm doing the Washington to Prudhoe Bay, close to the trip that you took. I have ridden from South Florida to Canada before, but I have not done that area yet. We will be doing some of the same stuff, but at different times. Looking forward to seeing your pics when you get back.
Danny

Bumblebug

A general note to several of the folks: The ferry from Cambobello to Deer Island ONLY RUNS IN JULY AND AUGUST. In May/June, you will end up returning to Lubec, and likely crossing into Canada at Calais, The only ferry to Western Nova Scotia now is the one from Saint John to Digby.
If you decide to "do" Peggy's Cove, and then want to head up tp Cape Breton, and NOT do Halifax/Dartmouth, backtrack to Chester, and pick up Rt 14. followed carefully, this will land you on the 102 about halfway between Halifax and Truro. A better ride, (I think) is to pick up RT 236 just east of Windsor, which will take you to Truro, and give you a couple of chances to see tidal bores (depending on what the tide is doing at the time).
In the Annapolis Valley, near Kentville, a motorcycla friendly motel id the Sun Valley, at Coldbrook. If you are camping, lookup the BLuenose Rally Site. We own the campground, and it doesn't go away after (or before!) the rally. (June 29-July 1, 2012)..

A general note to several of the folks: The ferry from Cambobello to Deer Island ONLY RUNS IN JULY AND AUGUST. In May/June, you will end up returning to Lubec, and likely crossing into Canada at Calais, The only ferry to Western Nova Scotia now is the one from Saint John to Digby.
If you decide to "do" Peggy's Cove, and then want to head up tp Cape Breton, and NOT do Halifax/Dartmouth, backtrack to Chester, and pick up Rt 14. followed carefully, this will land you on the 102 about halfway between Halifax and Truro. A better ride, (I think) is to pick up RT 236 just east of Windsor, which will take you to Truro, and give you a couple of chances to see tidal bores (depending on what the tide is doing at the time).
In the Annapolis Valley, near Kentville, a motorcycla friendly motel id the Sun Valley, at Coldbrook. If you are camping, lookup the BLuenose Rally Site. We own the campground, and it doesn't go away after (or before!) the rally. (June 29-July 1, 2012)..

excellent points. Got caught with that ferry schedule once. Great little trip though..... in season. BTW, no Duty Free at this crossing so if it matters..... buy in NH and declare at the crossing. . Bob

Back