Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions needed for ride up to Nova Scotia

wanderer
    Meat Cove on the north western tip of Nova Scotia is unique place to camp.
    The Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Central Nova Scotia is WELL worth the visit. sup rising things were being done there.

Attend a Cailie (sp) along the Cabot Trail

Fort St Louis on the north eastern tip.

Lunenberg,
    Campobello
    Halifax fort/history

A smile and an open mind is all you need to be rewarded tenfold.
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Danny,

-how tied into the May/June schedule?

- Are you intent on camping or are you planning on motels, B&Bs, etc.

- Upon arriving in Nova Scotia, how much time do you have?

- From what you know of Nova Scotia, is there anything that you find more interesting than something else? ie scenic, boats, museums, tours, food ("well, ya"), music, theater, pubs etc?

- if (...IF...) the ferry between Portland, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia does return this summer, is that something that you would look at? A Saint John, New Brunswick ferry goes to Digby, Nova Scotia and thus your visit starts at yet another entry point in the province. One if by land and two if by sea..... so to speak (unless you're coming by way of Nfld/Lab but that's another story)

- Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Bob,

how tied into the May/June schedule?
    I am going to the Rolling Thunder ride the weekend of May 26 in Washington, DC. We are planning on just heading north from there. Yes, we are planning on going that timeframe. I know that it may be cold or wet, but that is OK with us. We are prepared for it.

- Are you intent on camping or are you planning on motels, B&Bs, etc.
    The wife does not camp. Cheap motels and B&B's are great.

- Upon arriving in Nova Scotia, how much time do you have?
    We should arrive there around May 30 or so. We have to be back to South Florida by June 9. We would have a few days to spend in that area. Looking to see PEI and Nova Scotia. Also, want to do the Cabbot Trail area.

- From what you know of Nova Scotia, is there anything that you find more interesting than something else? ie scenic, boats, museums, tours, food ("well, ya"), music, theater, pubs etc?
    We like to have nice dinners in nice places with nice views. Not too picky about what we do when we get there. Last year in Maine, we did whale watching from a boat and that was great. We really like to ride and see the landscape and then relax in a nice small town with a nice meal. We like to see state and national parks with scenery and wild life.

- if (...IF...) the ferry between Portland, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia does return this summer, is that something that you would look at? A Saint John, New Brunswick ferry goes to Digby, Nova Scotia and thus your visit starts at yet another entry point in the province. One if by land and two if by sea..... so to speak (unless you're coming by way of Nfld/Lab but that's another story)
    I would have to ask the wife if she is interested in a ferry ride. That might be fun. We are probably arriving via Maine.

Thanks,
    Danny
    2011 BMW R1200RT - 2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited
    2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

Danny, this would be my suggestion: Save Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail for some other time. To me it looks like you have a healthy five days here in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island so the following map is a thought that I have so that you can have a decent flavour of the place. Takes you through an interesting route via Maine with small cable ferries, one big boat from Saint John to Digby (with a local visit out to Digby Neck). A run through an inland national park to the coast of Nova Scotia and up the coast through historic boat building and fishing communities. Great little pub in Chester and then on to Halifax (we have everything here ); from here then up to catch ferry to Prince Edward Island and to capital Charlottetown and then up along the north shore then back down to catch that magnificent bridge back to the mainland. Over to Moncton (Halifax like) and then down to St Stephen, New Brunswick and Calais, Maine for the ride home. 1,000 miles and five days will give you a decent taste of the territory. - Bob

saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Bob,
    We are digesting all of this information.
    We will probably follow this route somewhat. The road from Halifax to Truro looks like a main road and we may take the smaller road to the south.

Thanks,
    Danny
    2011 BMW R1200RT - 2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited
    2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by gsrider05 View Post
    Bob,
    We are digesting all of this information.
    We will probably follow this route somewhat. The road from Halifax to Truro looks like a main road and we may take the smaller road to the south.

Thanks,
    Danny
    I was going to PM you on this but I think that some others who are interested in taking this route might find it useful.

Here's an option out of Halifax: take what we call the 'new bridge', the McKay Bridge (two in Halifax-Dartmouth); that is technically route 111. Stay in right lane, pay $1.00 (a Loony coin up here), proceed straight for 4 miles and look for Route 318 off to the right (watch out for that crazy right lane about .5 miles before it that directs you to the airport; can be a trick to get out of that lane). Circle around and you're are going toward Waverley and Fall River (if it says Dartmouth turn around); if lost then just as someone where the Waverley Road is; 318 blends into #2 which will take you on the Old Truro Highway. 55 miles from turn off to Truro.

Lots of meandering roads can get you to Truro but they will be time consuming and maybe a tad bumpy. #318 and 2 are pleasant backroads.

If you plan on making it to Halifax then please let us know and we'll likely be around. By the time that you finalize your plans a few things may have changed in your plans so please feel free to PM on particulars. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Danny:

I rode up to NS in July 2010 with Don Eilenberger. Some thoughts & recollections.

1. From Bangor, rode ME-9 into NB, crossing at Calais (very easy border crossing), then CA-1 to Saint John. Very pretty town, with good food to be found down by the river. Wish I had seen the Reversing Rapids while there.

2. Took the ferry over to Digby, NS. It was a wet day, and the ferry’s parking deck was TREACHEROUS. Combination of humidity, and coolant/lubricants from vehicles. Maybe a bit of fish oil in there for good measure. Rode in & out employing my feet as outriggers. Hands off the brakes.

3. Crossed over to the eastern shore of NS, staying at the Quarterdeck Inn (recommended!) south of Liverpool. Then up along the coast to Halifax. Quite scenic. Stopped at Peggy’s Cove. Didn’t stop at Lunenburg; would have liked to. Halifax is a nice city, with good nightlife.

4. Crossed over to Truro on CA-102. Not heavily travelled. (NS drivers are most courteous to motorcyclists, from my experience.) Stopped at Truro to see the tidal bore; bucket-list item checked off.

5. Did Cape Breton Island clockwise, staying at the Glenora Distillery (if you like Scotch, you’ll enjoy this place) in Glenville, and the Telegraph House Motel in Baddeck. Weather cooperated, providing some spectacular vistas.

6. Returned to NB through Moncton, crossing back into Maine at St. Croix. Sleepy border crossing, so the US customs officials took the time to view everything in my bags.

7. NS has wonderful seafood!

Excellent trip. Might do it again, taking in PEI and the Gaspe Peninsula.
    Last edited by JohnM; 01-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    "One day you're a kid sitting on a bike, dreaming the road; next thing you know, your social life consists of drinking microbrews with middle-aged roosters who ride BMWs and wear Aerostitch suits."

- Joe Glydon

Danny, although difficult to see, on my map I have you crossing at Lubec, Maine and taking two small ferries. One from Campobello Island to Deer Island and the second from Deer Island onto the New Brunswick mainland. From there you about 50 miles from Saint John. This path is great fun and quite scenic. Riding on some boats gives you a better feel for this part of the world. As you fine tune and consider something close to my mapping will work, I can articulate all of the waterway options for you. Only the Digby ferry costs are significant (all others about $10 or less). $41 each and $51 for bike at this link http://www.acadiaferry.com/schedule-and-fares/ Cheaper to ride around but that is yet another option. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Some Pics

The Cabot Trail, riding clockwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent dining, lodging, entertainment, and ... umm .... Scotch!

The QuarterDeck Inn. Situated on a long beach (too cold for swimming, though) at Summerville Centre, NS. Good accomodations & dining.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    The QuarterDeck Inn. Situated on a long beach (too cold for swimming, though) at Summerville Centre, NS. Good accomodations & dining.
    I know this place quite well (first marriage in church just down the road)... but that's another story. Excellent beach for walking with a river at the other end. Beautiful. And, although the water will be very cold in early June it is not so bad in July August..... unless yer from Florida - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Nova Scotia

Danny,

If you need anything or a place to stay in Halifax drop me a PM.

Turfman

Quote Originally Posted by Turfman View Post
    Danny,

If you need anything or a place to stay in Halifax drop me a PM.

Turfman
    Welcome to the Forum neighbor - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com