• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Kid's Ride 2005

DougGrosjean

Last summer, some dads and I got together for a little motorcycle ride in western Ohio with our kids.

The dads were me (Suzuki DR-350, I guess I'm the writer of the group), Tony Adamowicz (K12lt, IBA member and vintage roadrace enthusiast), and Leon Begeman (Ninja 600, IBA member, and Ironbutt competitor). I brought my 10 y/o son Jean-Luc, Tony brought Nick, and Leon brought his daugther.

We did a weekend tour of the 5 caverns in western Ohio with the kids in tow. We started in the north with Seneca Caverns near Bellevue, then Indian Trail Caverns near Carey, then Zane Caverns near Bellefontaine. Camped overnight, then Sunday we explored Ohio Caverns and Olentangy Caverns (last was just outside Columbus). Finished the w/e at Quaker Steak and Lube in Delaware before each of us heading home.

Working on getting the write-up of that trip finished, but in the meantime... with the MOA rally in Lima, we're thinking of doing something along those lines again.

Here's the idea: a parent-kids ride out of Lima on Saturday. Head south and ride a mule-drawn canal boat on the Miami & Erie canal at Piqua. Then east to Freshwater Farms, a fish farm where the kids could pet tame sturgeon. Then north to visit Zane Caverns, and enjoy the Native American displays there. Then back to the rally site for the night, and head home on Sunday.

Any interest? So far, all of us that were in last year are in again this year. Plus another rider off the Internet BMW Riders list.

Any others? I figure this would be a great way to keep the kids from getting bored at an adult rally, and a great way to enjoy time with the kids.

Last year was fantastic, with each kid getting to see how the other kids do it on the back of the bike.

Do we hafta take a kid?

Sounds like a fun ride. Do we have to take a kid? My wife's only 5'1". Maybe she could be my entrance ticket.

:groovy

dancogan said:
Sounds like a fun ride. Do we have to take a kid? My wife's only 5'1". Maybe she could be my entrance ticket.

:groovy

I'd prefer it be parents with kids along.

Reason: I think adults without kids would be bored by the sedate pace, and that the kids' activities / behavior might get to you. As a parent, it doesn't bug me too much if my son and Leon's daughter get snippy with each other; kids will be kids. Or if my son tries to be competitive with Tony's son. But it might bug you to have kids snipping and / or being silly.

Otherwise, the destinations outlined are open to adults too. And they are neat destinations, whether you have kids along or not.

Sounds good!

My son (11yrs) is planning to come with me. This will be the first International for both of us and his first really long trip (1245 miles from Parkland FL). We're starting some tune up rides to get our butts ironed out and make sure he is up to it. The biggest thing he misses with our local club is no other kids come on the sunday rides.

Current plan is to do one hour at a time and break. Repeat and try to accumulate 400 miles per day.

I'm still trying to decide whether to camp on site or take a room. I know he would love a TV and AC if it gets hot and I want this to be a good experience.

doug maccoy
Parkland, FL
R1200RT

Doug Maccoy said:
My son (11yrs) is planning to come with me. This will be the first International for both of us and his first really long trip (1245 miles from Parkland FL). We're starting some tune up rides to get our butts ironed out and make sure he is up to it. The biggest thing he misses with our local club is no other kids come on the sunday rides.

Current plan is to do one hour at a time and break. Repeat and try to accumulate 400 miles per day.

I'm still trying to decide whether to camp on site or take a room. I know he would love a TV and AC if it gets hot and I want this to be a good experience.

doug maccoy
Parkland, FL
R1200RT

Hi Doug,

Glad to have you along.

Last year, the three of us parents shared email addys and cellphone numbers before we got together for the ride. I arranged a place for them to camp locally (the ride started about 30 miles from my home), and we met there.

My email is doug@douggrosjean.com

If you'd like to ping me, I'd be glad to discuss more details. I'm out of town tonight to test-ride an R100gs, and this weekend I'll be in and out as well, so my reply might be slow- but I will reply.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
www.douggrosjean.com

sounds like a plan

Sounds good. We're trying to pile miles on the R1200RT so I can get the first service over with. But Saturday is the ten commandments hike for the BSA.

I'm at vetsurginc@aol.com

Kid Ride

I too have an 11 year old son that may be interested if other kids are going. He gets kinda bored looking at his reflection in the back of my helmet but this may be something for us to get into. I am only an hour away but we will be camping for the long weekend. I'll check back and see what you guys are cooking up. Great idea! Other kid activities would be welcome as well.
Thanks!

Diehly said:
I too have an 11 year old son that may be interested if other kids are going. He gets kinda bored looking at his reflection in the back of my helmet but this may be something for us to get into. I am only an hour away but we will be camping for the long weekend. I'll check back and see what you guys are cooking up. Great idea! Other kid activities would be welcome as well.
Thanks!

Hi Diehly,

Here's the plan:
A parent-kids ride out of Lima on Saturday. Head south and ride a mule-drawn canal boat on the Miami & Erie canal at Piqua. Then east to Freshwater Farms, a fish farm where the kids could pet tame sturgeon. Then north to visit Zane Caverns, and enjoy the Native American displays there. Then back to the rally site for the night, and head home on Sunday.

So far, we're up to 5 dads, 4 sons, and a daughter. All are in the 10-12 age bracket. You'd make the 6th couple.

Likely several of us will hook up at the rally site via cellphone, probably camp together. So far, I know and have ridden with about half of the six couples.

Other kids events? Ah, you'll have to ask somebody else. I don't know what all is up. This ride isn't really an MOA event, it just happens to coincide with the MOA rally - so it ends up handy for a bunch of us.

Last year was 5 caverns in Ohio over a weekend ride. Had a blast. All that were on that (3 couples) are coming to the 2005 event.

Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
www.douggrosjean.com

We would like to join this ride

My 10 y/o son, Zack, will be coming to the 2005 International Rally with me. I was building the GM Powertrane 4.3L V6 heads line just up the road in Defiance, OH when Zack was born in May, 1995.

We will be riding from Perryville, Mo on Wednesday, July 20. I am trying to find a more interesting route than I-70, which would normally be easy, except that I can't take forever with a 10 y/o looking at the back of my helmet for 500 miles.

jc_puckett said:
My 10 y/o son, Zack, will be coming to the 2005 International Rally with me. I was building the GM Powertrane 4.3L V6 heads line just up the road in Defiance, OH when Zack was born in May, 1995.

We will be riding from Perryville, Mo on Wednesday, July 20. I am trying to find a more interesting route than I-70, which would normally be easy, except that I can't take forever with a 10 y/o looking at the back of my helmet for 500 miles.

Welcome..!

At this point we're up to 6 dads / 6 kids. All are about 10-12 y/o. I know about half the people going. An even dozen sounds like a nice size group, not too many and not too few.

Am thinking of putting up a list of those going, maybe parent's first name, child's first name, age, and hometown? That way people coming and going could hook up - I don't really like being the only conduit for info.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
www.douggrosjean.com

Back