Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: Retirement!!!

The campus is heated by the steam that is produced as a by-product of the production of electricity in the University's own power plant. Essentially heating the campus is "free". The plant and many of the utilidors through which the steam is distributed are old and in need of repairs that will cost close $100 million. In my 16 years on campus we had four major outages. A couple of times we got well into the evacuation process before things were repaired. Many homes use glycol in their heating systems, but it is not possible when using steam heat.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The campus is heated by the steam that is produced as a by-product of the production of electricity in the University's own power plant. Essentially heating the campus is "free". The plant and many of the utilidors through which the steam is distributed are old and in need of repairs that will cost close $100 million. In my 16 years on campus we had four major outages. A couple of times we got well into the evacuation process before things were repaired. Many homes use glycol in their heating systems, but it is not possible when using steam heat.
    So, extensive water damage from burst pipes with each outage?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    So, extensive water damage from burst pipes with each outage?
    Water damage is limited to the utilidors the pipes are in. In this case they have heat restored to all buildings, but a few remain closed due to damage caused by being filled with steam. Also temperatures are now around -45.
    Last edited by akbeemer; 01-27-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I was lucky enough to get retired at age 50. First thing I did was sail around the Atlantic singlehanded for a year, and it hasn't got much worse in the subsequent 18 years. Do it and enjoy it. You'll only regret the things you didn't do. Have fun!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jamesevans View Post
    I was lucky enough to get retired at age 50. First thing I did was sail around the Atlantic singlehanded for a year, and it hasn't got much worse in the subsequent 18 years. Do it and enjoy it. You'll only regret the things you didn't do. Have fun!
    Good for you!

I punched out of my career at age 53 (after 32+ yrs. in Law Enforcement/Dive Rescue/EMS) - best decision ever. Never looked back with regret - always looking forward with a sense of adventure.

As for all that time invested, the benchmark of any fulfilling career is to be able to look back and say "If I could do it all over again, I'd do it all over again." I would.

Last edited by greenwald; 01-30-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Retired in 2002. Will turn 69 this year. Wish I could have retired earlier than 56, grateful that I could retire then.

Yesterday I was sitting in our living room looking out the back door at 40 Canadian geese feeding in our lake. Suddenly they got very nervous and then a bald eagle strafed their formation. He then wheeled in the air for another chance. They huddled very close together and the eagle decided he wasn't having goose for lunch.

Batching it while Nancy is on a mission trip to an orphanage/school in Haiti. Have a full riding calendar this summer.

Life is good.
    Ride Well

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    Have a full riding calendar this summer.
    Life is good.
    That does sound good. I will be retired two years on April 11, 2015. It took some getting used to. I felt a little guilty about not having to go into work, but I've gotten over that. I was 63 when I retired, so I put my years in. Hopefully my health will hold up. I am working out and taking care of myself, and plan on riding to Billings and surrounding areas for some bucket-list riding, and hopefully some other road trips as well.

Harry
    1986 K75C - traded in.
    2003 R1150RT - Sold
    2015 R1200GS Alpine White

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    Retired in 2002. Will turn 69 this year. Wish I could have retired earlier than 56, grateful that I could retire then.

Yesterday I was sitting in our living room looking out the back door at 40 Canadian geese feeding in our lake. Suddenly they got very nervous and then a bald eagle strafed their formation. He then wheeled in the air for another chance. They huddled very close together and the eagle decided he wasn't having goose for lunch.

Batching it while Nancy is on a mission trip to an orphanage/school in Haiti. Have a full riding calendar this summer.

Life is good.
    Every day, even now with some ice on the river, the geese come in and land (sometimes with a bit of ice landing humor) in front of our house. Never see the eagles here. I think that they are somewhat wussy when it comes to getting live food. Geese fight back. Being retired affords me the time to watch all of this in a beautiful spot.

Does your "riding calendar" have the SFFR included? If not then be sure and read the upcoming 2015 promo..... after Ride Report2014 (sigh). See you in Billings? Ha, retirement, all the time but carefully pinching the pennies. Like one fella quipped: I'm glad that I am now on a fixed income because the other one I had was broke. - Bob (66 and still taking nourishment)
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA