• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Retirement!!!

...9 to 5 was alien to me, and so is retirement. Hat's off to you retired folks for all those years of being there on someone else's clock. I had a couple or three years of jobs like that in my life, but the rest of the time has been spent doing things I wanted to do, largely on my own time and schedule.

I've carved out my own niche, too much stress to go through my life any other way.

Tom, you're right. Being on someone else's clock has been a working life full of stress. I'm at half time now, at my request and with the good wishes of my employer, and find everything I do has less stress.

Tom, you're right. Being on someone else's clock has been a working life full of stress. I'm at half time now, at my request and with the good wishes of my employer, and find everything I do has less stress.

Good for you on the half-time, Dan! Glad to hear it!

Did have to sell the house (divorce) after 29 yrs marriage, so it's driving me crazy that I don't have a place to leave to the 3 kids, but do have a (modest) stake.

I too lost a house and equity after 20 years, moved on , retired, remarried, work for myself now and my adult kids are having kids. I am very content in my life choices at 55.

My three adult children may end up with a motorcycle or two:whistle, but I don't feel I have to pass on anything monetary to them. Would do anything in the world for them...almost, but when I'm done here, I'm done, and I'm not worried of who gets what. I never expected to inherit anything from my parents, both children of the Depression who steered us but didn't lead us in life's ways. My parent saved for the rainy day they did not get to enjoy way enough. I am not doing that.

I have friends way older than me with more than enough time in that will not leave work until kids are thru college, have a house, are married and such...they will die in major debt trying to do fund everything. I guess I was raised to do it on my own....whatever works for you may be different.

I too lost a house and equity after 20 years, moved on , retired, remarried, work for myself now and my adult kids are having kids. I am very content in my life choices at 55.

My three adult children may end up with a motorcycle or two:whistle, but I don't feel I have to pass on anything monetary to them. Would do anything in the world for them...almost, but when I'm done here, I'm done, and I'm not worried of who gets what. I never expected to inherit anything from my parents, both children of the Depression who steered us but didn't lead us in life's ways. My parent saved for the rainy day they did not get to enjoy way enough. I am not doing that.

I have friends way older than me with more than enough time in that will not leave work until kids are thru college, have a house, are married and such...they will die in major debt trying to do fund everything. I guess I was raised to do it on my own....whatever works for you may be different.

:thumb momentos here and there for the kids upon my untimely demise but aside from that .... :bolt And they know it!- Bob

Congrats to those that are there already.

As for leaving something to my kids, they both already make more money than I do so my job is to leave them with geat memories.

Last edited:

I had two cousins who had plenty of money but couldn't bring themselves to retire early because of the money they stood to lose if they retired. I asked them what they would do differently if they retired five years later. They both responded "Nothing". They both died shortly after they retired from cancer. I asked myself the same question when I reached 55 and I had the same answer. I retired immediately and 9 years later, I have not regretted it at all.

Next month will be three years since I retired from airline flying had a thirty two year run at it. Decided it was a young mans(woman's) game and I was to old for the BS that has infected the airlines today
Would I do it over yes
Would I work longer no
When you know it's time to pull the plug do it
The perfect retiree is the one who dies the day after retirement
Spend your children's inheritance

My father, the holder of an 8th grade diploma and Master Tool & Die maker papers, pointed his children towards college with the wisdom that they'll do no better than he without a degree. Did he pay for college? No. But you could live at home for free as long as you were in school. And, in the 70's, college was still affordable for a kid with a part-time job.

Other than a good start in life, he left his children with the same plot of land that was left to him by his father. In hindsight, the plot of land is a very minor part of the inheritance.

got a company pension, a military pension. social security and an ira.

sad thing is, i doubt that my grand kids will ever be able to retire...
freekin' country is broke. jobs being outsourced. taxes gooing up to pay the debt. more and more retired old farts (like me) less and less productive workers.
no money to pay law enforcement (they gotta pay the retired guys). violence/food prices going up.

think your pention (entitlement) is bullet proof? think again.

sthe only people with bullet proof pentions are in congress, pardners.

don't see anything on the horizon that's likely to turn this around
i'm afraid what's gonna happen is a major scio/political adjustment like a big war.

i hope it's not with china because they probably won't lend us the money to go to war with them.

did i mention that the state of health car for the unwashed masses is unlikely to improve? what about neculear insecurity?

i don;t see any ideas in congress other than

"we need to create jobs and be competitive in the world market".

brilliant

what are we gonna build that the world wants to buy and let the workers retire at 55 or even 65?

do the math. i've been trying hard to be optomistic. might work if i go back to drinking.
:(

Could not agree more.

I think that it important to have some people around you to remind you of a lot of what has been said here. My Mother, at around 65, basically retired sick with esophageal cancer (smoking). After being down for 2 1/2 years, gutted like a fish, somehow she is still alive. Now at age 80, she will frequently bobble at the cost or trouble/time involved in something. I ask "what are you waiting for" OM

I think that it important to have some people around you to remind you of a lot of what has been said here.

My two youngest daughters can't even find jobs. One is working at the deli counter at a supermarket -- they are the biggest chain in the state and have NO full-time employees and she's lucky to get 20 hours a week and zero benefits. The other works with a theatre troupe for $250 a month plus a T pass (Boston mass transit).

It isn't pretty out there. Enjoy your retirement, your world is gone, you (me) are the last generation that will have a retirement option.

Last edited:
My two youngest daughters can't even find jobs. One is working at the deli counter at a supermarket -- they are the biggest chain in the state and have NO full-time employees and she's lucky to get 20 hours a week and zero benefits. The other works with a theatre troupe for $250 a month plus a T pass (Boston mass transit).

It isn't pretty out there. Enjoy your retirement, your world is gone, you (me) are the last generation that will have a retirement option.

My children are the opposite, both have very good jobs earning way more than I ever did.

You can make that statement but it can't really occur. Just look at what you do and how you've had to adapt to your age over the years. That fine print is a real bear and you don't just (visually) jump from one point of focus to the next. In addition, your muscle tone isn't the same as a 30-yo and, for some, the broken bones and mashed joints of younger days are aching with arthritis. So, while we understand that the body of a construction worker/miner/farmer has a finite lifespan, there are also less obvious physical factors that will sideline folks working in higher tech jobs. With each change of my bifocal prescription, I have to develop new means of visualizing 3-D CAD geometries and physical hardware. As such, I can recall my father cursing about working around his bifocals to machine stamping dies. So, what hindered him as a skilled tradesman, hinders me a developmental engineer and will hinder a neurosurgeon. As such, each of those accumulated "hindrances" result in a less effective employee which must be displaced by younger, more agile folks. Experience allows the older performer to maintain an advantage for a while, but eventually that passes. Thus, the organization must move out the less efficient to maintain profitability.

So, no, people will always retire. Whether, or not, they have any means of support is another issue.

Last edited:
Yes, I dont think we have been hit as hard as the U.S.

Your laws precluded the banks from writing high risk mortgages in-country, so you didn't experience the same type of real estate / housing industry boom as the US. When that boom died, a lot of asset value evaporated.

It's the same scenario as in most of Dicken's novels. However, our rich Uncle hasn't, yet, died and left us his fortune.

you don't just (visually) jump from one point of focus to the next. In addition, your muscle tone isn't the same as a 30-yo and, for some, the broken bones and mashed joints of younger days are aching with arthritis.... With each change of my bifocal prescription, I have to develop new means of visualizing 3-D CAD geometries and physical hardware..... As such, each of those accumulated "hindrances" result in a less effective employee which must be displaced by younger, more agile folks. Experience allows the older performer to maintain and advantage for a while, but eventually that passes.

Falls in to the sad but true category.........Necessary Losses :banghead

was not planning to retire, but the economy, well killed me in this rural area for what I used to do recently, 20 years of nail pounding adn part time wrench
odd, in my youth I used to be a full time wrench and parrt time nail pounder

but out of retirement I come as my checkbook told me so,my youngest in school needs thebucks, my love for bikes said, go for it

now im coming out to help some kids ( they in their 30's me pushig 60)

twisting wrenches since the late 1950s. Im back to wowrking on old brit machines, and old BMW cars and bikes
they are setting up a good thing
and its a shop that is drug and alc free, which is way cool compared to the "olden days". they only work by appintment, so no lookey lous or dreamers wanting the cheapest deal out there, if so , well go to oil can henry or something bike like.

they have been a legit biz since 2002, but never went into bikes much other than rice and quads

rules on this forum forbid me to advertise or say what we offer and thats very ok, very ok. im not here to drum up work. I dont want to hurt my standing here on the forum or with friends.
jsut thinking, im glad to have work and glad to be out of "retirement" as retirement makes many people old and fat, adn many die as soon as they dont have a reason to work or live

but just hope this old bod can handle dong this for a living agin

cool thing is, when the weather is good, I can ride my bike to work, now I donthave to sell the bike to pay bills
honest babe, its the best gas mileage thing we own.....yahoo
back in the saddle agin, back to being appreciated for my skills :dance

p.s only putting this out there cause its a retirement thread

yahooooooooooo, riding and working and making money at it..............yahoooooooo

Back