• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Retirement!!!

financial planning

I retired at 56, 2 years ago. We are ok but I want to make sure the last check I write bounces. That should be when we are 95....just kidding

Last edited:
The thread is interesting...

In my world, I had to announce my intent to retire 12 months in advance--that's something probably unique to universities--and so I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm now about two months out from the end of my classroom obligations but 5 months from the official date of my last check. While I had planned to die in the front of the classroom, I've now reassessed the environment and am content with abandoning that fantasy.

Forty years here have been worth it; I'm proud of what I've done for my students and grateful for what I've learned. But having made the transition from "young Turk" to "old fart" over that period, I am ready for change.

What that change will be is, at the moment, a freedom from increasing "obligations" to folks who assume that I owe them what I offer them, and then accept what I deliver grudgingly. That group encompasses students, colleagues and the "institution" (or its constituent administors with whom I have cooperated for the good of the university over the last four decades).

I'm in a good place: my kids are self-sufficient and a source of pride; my available resources are equal to the modest lifestyle I enjoy, and at athe moment no health problems are visible. So I have some space and time to define the next stage. It will entail, as has every other stage, some continuous learning; it may also include some sharing of that learning in far less formal environments (as long as those environments allow me to continue learning from those whom I am purportedly teaching) and, most generally, a freedom to choose that I have never before enjoyed.

So we'll see how all of this works out in the next couple of years....

Larry Johnson
El Paso Tx

retired

I retired at 56, now 58 and to busy to go back to work. " My friends all tell me I am jerk, I am to lazy to get up go to work, but let me tell you how I feel, I am to lazy to work and to nervous to steal." T. Bone Walker... Couldn't have said it better :laugh

Annie and I both retired just over 6 months ago. Today we began the first phase of a summer long motorcycle meander. I feel like I'm on vacation..... Vacation from what I do not know.

Annie and I both retired just over 6 months ago. Today we began the first phase of a summer long motorcycle meander. I feel like I'm on vacation..... Vacation from what I do not know.

I thought 'wander' was the word for me , but "meander' is much better.
Thanks.

Well Hugh, belated congratulations on your retirement.

Happy riding, time to go out in the world and do good, as opposed to going out to work..........Rod.

I have reached my retirement age of 62 and can now retire without any penalties. I might go the middle of July but things are crazy at work and I may stick around through the end of the construction season as long as I can get some time off for a road trip or two.

Just knowing I can retire whenever I want makes things a lot better.

Harry

Last edited:
Tomorrow is my last working day after 30 years in the Army.:groovy

I can identify heavily with a lot of this thread. I also put my retirement paperwork in a year out. Supposed to glide out slowly but the last three weeks have been the most intense in two years. Major inspection, lots of other intense silliness. So tomorrow, at the end of the inspection, I got on leave for a week, get a parade and start outprocessing. See you in Sedalia.

I can identify heavily with a lot of this thread. I also put my retirement paperwork in a year out. Supposed to glide out slowly but the last three weeks have been the most intense in two years. Major inspection, lots of other intense silliness. So tomorrow, at the end of the inspection, I got on leave for a week, get a parade and start outprocessing. See you in Sedalia.

Buy that soldier a beer! :beer

Thank you for your service enjoy your retirement:usa

Interesting that this thread is still going! Haven't been in touch for a while, because my password somehow changed, and I couldn't get in. Didn't have time to fiddle with it until now. That's right.....didn't have time. I retired on January 20th, and have never looked back....wish I had done it years sooner. I play golf 4-5 times a week, ride a lot, am officiating local amateur golf events, and generally spend so much time enjoying life I cannot explain how I ever had time to work. No more airport pat downs for my metal knees, as I drive or ride anywhere I go now (except overseas - going to Italy in October). Went to the Masters two weeks ago, riding to Vegas in two weeks. Life is great. Stop working......start living!

Interesting that this thread is still going! Haven't been in touch for a while, because my password somehow changed, and I couldn't get in. Didn't have time to fiddle with it until now. That's right.....didn't have time. I retired on January 20th, and have never looked back....wish I had done it years sooner. I play golf 4-5 times a week, ride a lot, am officiating local amateur golf events, and generally spend so much time enjoying life I cannot explain how I ever had time to work. No more airport pat downs for my metal knees, as I drive or ride anywhere I go now (except overseas - going to Italy in October). Went to the Masters two weeks ago, riding to Vegas in two weeks. Life is great. Stop working......start living!

You make things sound so good, you almost want to make me take up golf..........almost! :brow

Back