• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Retirement!!!

Just be careful and don't put too much trust any financial advisers...

Not to worry. My guy is completely trustworthy. He has me heavily invested in Enron. :D

If you're single, a new, wealthier spouse is a tried and true solution, that might not be too painful.

I can barely afford the spouse I have now. Replacing her would be prohibitive, and possibly hazardous.

Seriously, good luck. We all fear what you're going through.

Thanks. I'm actually lucky...some of my co-workers had the rug yanked out just days before they walked out the door. That, in my opinion, was criminal. At least I have some time to adjust and recover.

There's always someone better off, and there's always someone in worse shape. You just have to do the best you can with the cards you are dealt.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Tim

Not to worry. My guy is completely trustworthy. He has me heavily invested in Enron. :D

I used to have that same guy when he worked at Merrill Lynch...........had me heavily invested in the ML Growth fund that was managed by a Cocaine fiend. Only took 2-yrs for ML to figure out the fund manager was doing serious blow..........the market was steadily rising and the fund was dropping like a rock. It seems no one really cared.............I just kept sending money............

The Importance of having an occupation after retirtement

As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world.
It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither.
Scooter Trash is such a person:

THIS IS QUOTED FROM SCOOTER:
"I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'
Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whisky into urine.
It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

Scooter should be an inspiration to us all.:bottle

That sounds like a good plan to me.
I'll think take an early retirement.
To the Beer Store!!

As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world.
It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither.
Scooter Trash is such a person:

THIS IS QUOTED FROM SCOOTER:
"I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'
Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whisky into urine.
It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

Scooter should be an inspiration to us all.:bottle

Man, that is funny!!! Well said......

I did it

I did finally decide to retire. My official retirement date is April 11th, but I had so much vacation time on the books, not being able to take much time off for years that I have been home for 6 weeks using accruals.

I am 63, everything is paid off, the boss is a jerk, and I have a decent pension and social security will start soon. Part of the reason to retire is because I am one of the lucky ones who can. We also have savings from living a modest lifestyle.

So far I've kept busy and I am making the transition to retired life more quickly than I thought I would. I may get a new bike, but I'll do a long road trip this spring to make sure I can handle it physically before I commit to a new bike. Besides, the old one runs fine.

I might have worked another year, but I think my decision was a good one. I see a lot of people retiring at 55, which seems a bit young, but some think I am retiring too soon at age 63, so who knows? Time will tell.

I have a project I'm working on to challenge me and keep me busy, and there are others available if I should lose interest in this one.

It's snowing right now, but warmer weather is coming and I can finally go on any ride I want, go to any rally or part of the country and hopefully that works out and I'll see some of you in my travels!

Harry

My retirement was sort of forced upon me due to some health issues. Got most of that worked out , well as good as it will probably get anyway.

Money was a big worry for me since i spent most of what I had during my recovery/rehab period. Not much insurance since I was self employed.

Lucky for me my wife is a bit younger and healthy, she continues to work( for about 3 more years) and understands/approves of my motorcycle hobby/lifestyle.

She encourages me to keep riding as long as i feel good and admonishes me if i mention anything about money. She say's we will work it out no matter what.
Sometimes i feel a bit guilty about leaving her and wandering off on the motorcycle, but she says she does not mind . She says she enjoys hearing my tales of the road.

I'm a lucky guy in a lot of ways :thumb :dance

I'd say lucky in the most important ways. Before you kick the bucket, ask her if she wants to move out west and take on another project. Sounds like a great partner. Congratulations.

Congrats Harry, and welcome to the club! In 4 days, I'll have a year under my belt..... never been busier!

Thanks! It's funny that way. I've got a PS3 and I haven't played a game on it since I left work because I've been too busy.

The way I look at retirement is now I can be whoever I was meant to be, and not be defined by the job I had. I liked my job and do miss it a little, but I'm in a new phase of my life and will do my best to enjoy it.

Harry

I'd say lucky in the most important ways. Before you kick the bucket, ask her if she wants to move out west and take on another project. Sounds like a great partner. Congratulations.

We talk about moving out west , but I am not sure we could manage another move financially with the way real estate values are today.

I might have worked another year, but I think my decision was a good one. I see a lot of people retiring at 55, which seems a bit young, but some think I am retiring too soon at age 63, so who knows? Time will tell.

I have a project I'm working on to challenge me and keep me busy, and there are others available if I should lose interest in this one.
Harry

I suspect that those who think you are retiring too soon are the ones that didn't plan properly and can't retire. When I was 24, I made a plan to retire at 55. I proved that with proper planning, even someone with a modest salary can retire early. I have been retired 10 years and have not regretted retiring early at all. I watched two older cousins delay retirement after they had far more assets than they would spend the rest of their lives. They retired and had medical problems that prevented them from enjoying their retirement and they didn't live long after they retired. I asked both of them a simple question that I asked myself when I became 55. I asked them how the additional income from not retiring would change their lifestyle. They said they would live the same way. When I asked them what was the point of working if they would do nothing different, they didn't have an answer. I think they feared change. Just before he died, my older cousin changed his mine and said he wished he had retired early and said I was right.

Thanks! It's funny that way. I've got a PS3 and I haven't played a game on it since I left work because I've been too busy.

The way I look at retirement is now I can be whoever I was meant to be, and not be defined by the job I had. I liked my job and do miss it a little, but I'm in a new phase of my life and will do my best to enjoy it.

Harry

Harry, congrats on retirement!

Your statement hit home with me. When you are on the job for a long period of time you sometimes start to wonder if you molded the job or the job molded you? Probably a little of both. As with you, I liked my job and many of the people I worked with. That being said, I have been retired for 4 years and would not change anything. This new life of some freedom to choose what I want to do today is pretty nice. Ok, what ever my wife tells me I am going to do today!

John

I suspect that those who think you are retiring too soon are the ones that didn't plan properly and can't retire.

Admittedly, there is some luck involved, too. I was able to keep my last job for more than 30 years, unusual in today's world. But I also have seen people who think of "save" as a 4-letter word and have no savings at all, only debt, so I agree with you on that point. And I recognize that health is definitely a part of the equation regarding retirement. I wanted to retire while my health was still good enough to allow me to enjoy those things I sacrificed while I was working, like long tours on the bike. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement. I am still in the process of adjusting to mine, and hearing good things from retirees is definitely something I appreciate.

Harry

Just signed my papers today!
Will fax them in tomorrow.

27 1/2 years is enough!

Wish me luck!

Best of luck to you, Darryl. How did you feel when you made the decision to retire? I felt really good when I signed my papers and it definitely felt "right" to me.

I hope to do more bike travel and socialize with old and new riding buddies. (I wish this snow would stop!)

Harry

I have been off work due to an injury on the job for almost 4 years and I am having 1 knee surgery next Monday and another later this year. The timing was right for me, too bad my wife can't go yet. Next year will be better. Won't be able to ride for a bit:violin

One more week from me and I'm punching out for the last time. It's been a good long run of almost 28 years with the same company. I've done everything that I can and it's time to pass it on to the younger guys. The day after I retire, my wife will saddle up her R1100R and I'll get on my R1150GSA and we're heading out on our annual Spring Wildflower Ride. I can't wait! You can always make more money but you can't buy more time.

Back