• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EZ-Pass

I bought a metal holder with clamps that snap on my cylinder guards.
I've registered my 3 bikes on it, and it's worked everywhere.

I bought an I-Pass about 9 years ago and it worked fine on the windshield of my R1200R as well as on a Rifle superbike fairing windshield. Never tried it in a pocket. Did the mandatory upgrade about 3 years ago and the new transponder would not work on the R1200, although it worked fine in the car. I am guessing configuration has something to do with this. The old one was maybe 3" square and 1/2" thick. The new one is 3-1/2" by 1-1/2" and the thickness varies from top to bottom.

You need to be aware that EZ Pass transponders are sensitive to how they are oriented/displayed. They need to be facing similar to how they would be mounted in a car windshield. Turned 180 degrees, won't respond; 90 out of alignment may or may not respond; in a jacket pocket facing 90 degrees forward, probably won't respond.

Ha. Well, that's good information. In my car, I pull my EZPass out of the glove box and throw it on the dash. Sometimes I do get a read out that says something like "tag not read" or whatever, but then it usually says "EZPass paid" next gate I go thru.

The tunnels and bridges around NYC are EXPENSIVE. Once while working up there and driving across bridges and stuff daily, I depleted my account so fast that it couldn't keep up. After a couple read outs indicating my pass wasn't being read, I called them to ask what was up. The nice person told me it takes a day or so for the EZPass account to be credited. He pulled my account up and saw where I was, reading back to me the sequence of "events". It never occurred to me they might be surcharging me as though it were my own fault!

Frankly, I never, EVER look at my account until the end of each year when I print out the statement, add it all up, and deduct the total from my taxable income.

Back