Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EZ-Pass

Steve
    If you have a bike with a metal tank, you can gorilla glue rare earth magnets to the velcro on the transponder. Mine also works in the clear map compartment on top of my tank bag. Everywhere except the Blue Mountain exit. Nothing works there.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    And? Here in the left coast I've registered all my license plate numbers with the transponder account. If it doesn't register the toll authority uses the picture they snap to look up the plate number, see that it is associated with a transponder account, and charge that account. Works too well. I keep hoping that one of these times the transponder doesn't answer and the picture of the plate is unreadable.

If you can do the same thing don't worry if the transponder can be read or not.
    FYI, the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge had a trouble for several years reading the licence plate on my bike. I went over that bridge quite a bit with no charge. They've fixed it now though.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

RAM mount

I bought a RAM mount for my tollway pass:
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3008/
    The weather does not seem to affect the I-Pass, and once I snap this in, I forget about it. The one pictured in the link above is attached to a mirror, but I actually mounted mine to my handlebars which makes it less conspicuous.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

i have an EZ Pass transponder that i only recently got. i used it once (at Conneticut/NY border on I-84) and had to have someone come out to actually take the thing inside and stripe it (or whatever) before i could go thru the gate.

so... not to hijack the thread, but this is a
    known issue/ the transponder might be faulty?

i have two bikes and three 4-wheeled vehicles (5 total) registered under my account so no need to *mount* the transponder.

Accessory shelf

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1271

This is the one I bought. I will take a pic of mine with the GPS/radar detector/switches and E-ZPass all on it.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Find a State with free EZ PASS units - why pay for them. Mount / glue to bike - fender or body panel - so it wont walk,fly off, fill jacket pockets or tank bag.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

I was going to go over the Richmond San Raphael bridge this week, but then I didn't want to go down the east bay and back toward San Mateo, so I only went over the Golden Gate Bridge.
    I was concerned about FastTrak for two reasons. I never mounted it on my bike, and I wasn't sure if it would work in the bay area, even tho' the law says it must, as my account is in So Cal.
    I thought of a mesh or net bag that I could tie onto the tank rail. But couldn't find a bag.
    Here in So Cal, I leave it in my back pack, and sit it on the dash when I'm in a car. Then on the bike, it uses the photo and license plate, tho' one time I did hear it beep in the back pack.
    I finally realized, all I had to do was stick it into my travel bag, at the top which was tied onto the luggage rack, as I was about to roll onto the Bridge.
    One day later the charge showed up. Ok.
    I cannot stick it onto the windshield, as I need it for more than one vehicle.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    I cannot stick it onto the windshield, as I need it for more than one vehicle.
    Don't the CA transponders come with some sort of Velcro-esque attachment system that can attached to several vehicle's windshields? That's the way it is w/EZ-Pass and FastLane in the Northeast.
    Justin in Somerville, MA

Mine didn't. Plus, I wouldn't want to use it anyway. Then I'd have a velcro base in two places, where I didn't want any blemishes.
    Mine just has tape on the back. I don't want to put tape on my vehicles, either.
    dc

na1g
    Like bmwrider88, I have had a few problems in NY, too. I have a "FastLane" transponder (Massachusetts' name for the EZPass) that works in my jacket chest pocket - usually. On a trip across the Rip VanWinkel Bridge (really) in NY state, I had to wait for a person to come over, take my transponder back to the booth, scan it and return it. This really pleased the thirty drivers now backed-up behind me. And once it failed to register at the Newburg exit of the NY Thruway.

They can send a man to the moon but they can't make a foolproof EZPass system.

Since then I have mounted the gadget on a home-made plastic clip (1/8" acrylic) that slips onto the top edge of the windscreen. Small felt pads prevent scratching. Easily installed and removed, even in motion, and I haven't dropped it yet. Works every time - usually.

pete
    R12RT

Quote Originally Posted by stanley83 View Post
    Don't the CA transponders come with some sort of Velcro-esque attachment system that can attached to several vehicle's windshields? That's the way it is w/EZ-Pass and FastLane in the Northeast.
    When I ordered mine from VA DOT I requested a few extra Velcro strips in the comment field - when it arrived they had put 10 pairs in there and a handwritten note to just call if I needed more and they would send them out gratis.

It is a good deal, $25 deposit and a $15 minimum balance, no other charges. I have not used it on the bike yet, I plan on just sticking it in the tank bag window. Apparently in VA you are supposed to get one specifically for motorcycles, but no one I have talked to has had a problem using the car one and the online vehicle register took the bike info no problem.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Mine didn't...Mine just has tape on the back.
    I'd wager that what appears to be tape is, in fact, the Velcro-like stuff used on transponders elsewhere. I mounted my car pass behind the rear-view mirror so I don't need to look at it, installed or not. On the bike, it's in my tank bag, no help to the OP, but I don't have a windshield. I don't really consider a couple short strips of Velcro a blemish, but my vehicles are hardly concourse-worthy.
    Justin in Somerville, MA

MY EZ pass goes high in Aerostich chest zip pocket.

EZPass goes in Roadcrafter Two Piece, in a short sock held high inside top of right zipped chest pocket with safety pins. As I pull up, slow early so you don't pay the truck toll of the truck right behind you, then speed up to leave a little gap as you go under the white detector overhead, I'm usually in the left wheel tracks with helmet tipping left to expose the right pocket to the white detector, then I slide right as I approach the booth to see the green light earlier and get going again.

Works like a charm. Started doing this 3-4 years ago.

Started using EZPass right away back in 2000, I think. At first I had it on top of my map in my map pocket but didn't like the funky bump under the clear top and the map covered and it didn't work 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    Apparently in VA you are supposed to get one specifically for motorcycles, but no one I have talked to has had a problem using the car one and the online vehicle register took the bike info no problem.
    In New York, a motorcycle-specific EZ Pass cuts your tolls on the NYS Thruway in half: https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml

Motorcycles will be charged 50% of the cash toll rate. Cannot be combined with commuter plans. Plan Code: (MTRC)

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

I carry my ezpass in my jacket pocket but the first time I tried it I was not sure about the reception so I took the pass out of my pocket and held it up as I pass through the toll booth (Pa turnpike). All was good until about two weeks later I got a letter from Harrisburg stating I ran the toll booth and they enclosed a picture of my going through with my license plate clearly readable. The picture also showed my left hand holding up the ezpass. Great system. I just had to fill in the form giving my transponder number and the info on my new bike. No problem since.