• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

EZ-Pass

wavery

No Time to Hate
With the PA Turnpike a constant presence in my life, I need to figure out the best way to mount an EZ-Pass to my bike. I've read through some of the older threads on the topic, and it sounds like an exterior transponder mounted to the front forks works well. Does anyone happen to have a picture what this looks like?

I'm also considering this EZ Toll product (a mesh bag that ties onto the bike): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dkpOsbZnos

Does anyone have any experience with this solution? It seems like an inexpensive option if it works.

I don't have a map bag, and I'm not ready to spend $50+ on a special mount just for EZ-Pass.

Thanks!

Tried that and it didn't register.
From the Mass site-
# Where do I mount the transponder on a motorcycle?
The transponder can be mounted on the windshield. If the motorcycle has no windshield it can be placed in a shirt or jacket pocket.

Quite a few that I know use velcro and stick it to the windshield. Here in Mass they can be moved around and there can be up to 4 on a non-commercial acct.
A couple of wiring loom clamps and a small piece of plastic or laminate make a real usable, inexpensive flat surface. Especially so if your bike has the room on the handle bars. HTH Gary

My son had trouble with his not working from his pocket or tank bag, turns out the transponder was flaky. They replaced it.
I just stuck mine on the on the front of the bike behind the windshield.

And? Here in the left coast I've registered all my license plate numbers with the transponder account. If it doesn't register the toll authority uses the picture they snap to look up the plate number, see that it is associated with a transponder account, and charge that account. Works too well. I keep hoping that one of these times the transponder doesn't answer and the picture of the plate is unreadable. :whistle

If you can do the same thing don't worry if the transponder can be read or not.

My son had trouble with his not working from his pocket or tank bag, turns out the transponder was flaky. They replaced it.
I just stuck mine on the on the front of the bike behind the windshield.

I should have added that I'm trying to avoid sticking the velcro strips to my bike.

And? Here in the left coast I've registered all my license plate numbers with the transponder account. If it doesn't register the toll authority uses the picture they snap to look up the plate number, see that it is associated with a transponder account, and charge that account. Works too well. I keep hoping that one of these times the transponder doesn't answer and the picture of the plate is unreadable. :whistle

No such niceties here. In PA you get a nastygram and/or an extra charge to your account.

I've been running a Pike Pass [never a problem] and an EZ-Pass [one problem] in my tankbag for some time now, and ran them there during the IBR. Never a problem until I got to NY where the EZ-Pass wasn't read. The attendent came out to help and told me the problem was it was upside down. I didn't have time to sit and visit but I really wanted to ask her why it read fine where it was everywhere else - guessing at least 6 tolls that day before reaching her booth.

I saw you don't have a map window/case/bag but my point is, some transponders seem to work better/stronger than others and some of the readers seem to have more power to read them - regardless of position.

I've been using the EZ Toll mesh bag for the last 2 years. It works great since I don't always need the EZ Pass on the bike. Its quick to put on and take off. I wrap the string around the brake reservoir on the right side. Just be sure to remove it if you're parked in a less than desirable area.

Although you said you didn't want to add velcro strips to your bike, that's how I mount my EZ Pass to my 87 KRS. If I had moved the sticker a little, or used a bigger sticker, you wouldn't see the strips when not in use. :)

DSC0004-L.jpg

DSC0001-L.jpg

I also think that mounting position may deter someone from trying to take it.:dunno

Aerostich sells a cycle E Pass holder that goes on either your handlebar or mittor stalk. I have one on the mirror stalk of my RS and it works great. Costs around $20 or so.

Same for the left coast guy, registered vehicles, transponder in vario case appears to work as no violations. Sneaky when cases are off, ride between toll strips, never get charged

If you have a bike with a metal tank, you can gorilla glue rare earth magnets to the velcro on the transponder. Mine also works in the clear map compartment on top of my tank bag. Everywhere except the Blue Mountain exit. Nothing works there.

FYI, the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge had a trouble for several years reading the licence plate on my bike. I went over that bridge quite a bit with no charge. They've fixed it now though.

i have an EZ Pass transponder that i only recently got. i used it once (at Conneticut/NY border on I-84) and had to have someone come out to actually take the thing inside and stripe it (or whatever) before i could go thru the gate.

so... not to hijack the thread, but this is a
known issue/ the transponder might be faulty?

i have two bikes and three 4-wheeled vehicles (5 total) registered under my account so no need to *mount* the transponder.

Back