• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where Do You Keep It All?

Bobonli

I took delivery of my 2012 GS on Tuesday and am trying to figure out where to keep all my "glove compartment" items: sunglasses, small towel, flashlight and GPS (when not mounted). The things you want quick access to on-the-go. I've developed the habit of not carrying anything except for maybe a wallet and cell phone, in my jacket out of fear that it will become part of my anatomy in a crash. Santa brought a Givi topcase but that's not exactly "quick" access.

I bought a tank bag in anticipation of the bike's arrival and am now having second thoughts. Even the small one I bought looks like it might get in the way of me shifting position and I'm not ready to stick adhesive strips to the virgin paint job...just don't care for the way it will look when the bag is detached: velcro patches take away from the glory of the color!

I'd appreciate some experienced advice as to where you stash your glove compartment items and how often do you need to get at them. My inclination is to return the bag and keep everything locked in the Givi. At the very least, it's locked and I can walk away from it.

Thanks for sharing your riding experience.
Bob

Stashing Stuff

I'm with you Bob, I don't like a tank bag! A bag came with my bike and I don't use it at all. I have friends that carry all their "quick stuff" in a tank bag, but I've noticed that they don't get their stuff stashed, or unstashed, any quicker.

After the first several rides on my new bike, I was able to place things into "how quick do I need this?" categories. The credit card is in a jacket pocket, ready to purchase gas at the pump. Some cash is in the same pocket, in case I want to buy something else. And, an ink pen is in that pocket, too, in case I want to write down my mileage, or something. I keep a little digital camera in another jacket pocket. Other than a handkerchief or bandana in my pants pocket, that's all I carry in my riding suit.

Things like sunglasses, baseball cap and cell phone don't do me any good until I remove my helmet, earplugs and gloves anyway. I carry some things in ziploc bags so I can find them quickly, and tend to put the same items in the same place so I can find them quickly. For instance, the ziploc with my registration, insurance card, wallet, cell phone, tire pressure gauge and pencil are usually on the bottom of my left side case where I can grab them quickly when I dismount. I roll my sunglasses into my baseball cap and those sit on top of the items inside the left side case.

My experience is that being consistent in storing these items in the same place makes me as fast as my friends who ride with tank bags. And as you say, you can lock stuff up in the Givi and walk away without worrying about stripping the tank bag off the bike and either locking it, or carrying it.

It was all awkward at first, but after a while you develop your own system and it'll be second-nature!! :usa

The only thing I would do different than PiperJim is keep my cell phone on my person. Ever since I found myself in a difficult situation and unable to reach my cell, its always on my person.

Tom

I use a Wolfman tank bag on my RS, which has no glove box in the fairing. But I'm thinking about switching to a tail bag for quick access items. For a GS I'd also consider something like the Givi TankLock tank bag.

The side pockets on my tank bag are called the "junk drawer" which pretty well sums up their purpose.

I'm not so much looking for tank bag suggestions. I already have one. I was mainly inquiring to see what other people do with their items, particularly those that don't use tank bags.

I posted above bout my junk drawer pockets on the tankbag. On my K75 I don't have pockets on the tank bag so knife, chapstick, compass, and assorted little stuff goes in a little fanny pack strapped around the tankbag.

But, most of the "stuff", glasses cleaner, Leatherman, spare keys, 1st aid kit, camera, binoculars, extra gloves, sunglasses/glasses case, computer, etc goes in the topcase.

A tank bag may not be "pretty" but it sure solves storage problems. I carry pens, lights, camera,ear plugs, leatherman, zip ties, maps/notes, etc, in mine. Items you may want access to, not packed away in side or tail bags are candidates for a tank bag.

Tough call have a 1200gs not real crazy about tank bag(small) having to unzip it every time a fuel stop. That being said it holds a incredible amount of stuff do recommed though wallet should be stored in jacket pocket for security reasons

But, most of the "stuff", glasses cleaner, Leatherman, spare keys, 1st aid kit, camera, binoculars, extra gloves, sunglasses/glasses case, computer, etc goes in the topcase.

So if you should lose your keys Paul, how do you get into your top case to retrieve the spare set? Just wondering :dunno

The only thing I need quick access to is my wallet, and that's in my jacket chest pocket with the registration!
My setup changes with where ever I decide to go! When I use the bike to commute to work the two saddle bags are usualy on, and I set them up something like "piperjim" does! If I plan to do some off road, I use the tank bag. At first the tank bag seem to be in the way but like everything else, I got use to it! And then when I go on a long trip, the setup changes again!
And I'm like "From MARS", the cell phone is always on me! I Don't use GPS whatsoever,but if I did, I would probably go with the Touratech setup where you can lock the GPS on the bike, that way it can always stay there!

I keep a spare key in my wallet - which never leaves my pocket when I ride - and one stashed on the bike where I can get to it easily. I'm guessing Paul isn't talking about the spare key to his bike in the top box.

I run a factory tankbag on my RT. Easy on and off when I want to take it instead of leaving it on the bike. Nothing of value I can't live without in it. Anything of value gets locked in either the top box - which I rarely locked - or the side cases. When I take the GPS's off the bike, they almost always go in the sidecases which are almost always locked.

My personal experience over 55 riding years and more than a few miles in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Central America, Europe for 8 years and some [not much] riding in Asia has been - though there have been some stupid people that have set their kids on my bike or let them burn their hands on the hot exhaust - touching when/where they have no business being around - people seem to realize that generally, motorcyclists that leave things on their motorcycles that are easy to pick up and walk away with have an eye on the bike so they simply don't try to take anything. Obviously, common sense is the rule here. Leaving valuables on the bike at, say, a hotel overnight will probably be the first step in buying a replacement item, but leaving it open at a diner of some sort usually means you can watch it.

So if you should lose your keys Paul, how do you get into your top case to retrieve the spare set? Just wondering :dunno

That is really quite simple. The R1150 has a Jesse top case; the F650 has a Pelican case. Neither locks automatically and both are usually unlocked. When I stop where I think locking might be a good idea they get locked. But on any trip there resides a spare top case key in a safe place not in the topcase.

Thanks everyone. I decided to send the tank bag back and get a bar pack map case, which has a couple of pockets in it. It has a much smaller foot print and I don't have to stick anything to my paint. The rest of the crap will ride in a top case for commuting.

Thanks everyone. I decided to send the tank bag back and get a bar pack map case, which has a couple of pockets in it. It has a much smaller foot print and I don't have to stick anything to my paint. The rest of the crap will ride in a top case for commuting.

I'm contemplating what I'm going to do as far as a tank bag (or not). Could you tell me what brand is your "bar pack map case?" Or maybe post a product link or photo?

Thanks.

Back