• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Whoops, how did that happen

Dang dude

It sucks to scratch up the bike and get the hip bruise thing over a little rain. Guess we never know where that skid demon lurks.

Fair warning!! you will have to navigate gravel to get to the Solstace ride, so be careful ok?

Hey Garth,
Glad that all the parts are woking as they should! (But you WILL be sore tomorrow! :uhoh )

But, on behalf of me and the other old guys out here...I just can't agree with your statement:

YB in IN said:
I landed right on my hip, which if I was an old dude would mean that I would have broken it, but I didn't.

Just because I broke my thumb taking mt rear drive off doesn't make it so all the time!

Hang in there and take plenty of painkillers :drink

YB in IN said:
I'll definitely be taking y'alls advice for treatment later tonight after I get back from my opera run through. Oh, and I don't have a sword in this one, but I do get to carry around a spear.

Spears are really in this season, I hear. What are you singing?

BE in IN said:
After seeing the pictures of the damage and talking to you on the phone. No big deal. I can make new running light mounts and incorporate the training wheels suggestion your Grandpa made. :p Your uncle suggests sparkly tassles and a bulb horn also. :thumb Let me know when you want to get together again.

Garths dad

Why is it that Uncle Curt is always around when I crash? Oh well. Oh by the way dad, the weekend of GMR just opened up for me if you are wanting to go. Robbie's bachelor party got moved to the next weekend, so I'm definitely headed down.

Chacifer said:
Spears are really in this season, I hear. What are you singing?

I'm in Mozart's Magic Flute. For the third time. I'm singing the role of the First Man in Armor, which is a part that is usually filled by a younger singer with Heldentenor aspirations. It's some good times. We open on Friday night.

lorazepam said:
It sucks to scratch up the bike and get the hip bruise thing over a little rain. Guess we never know where that skid demon lurks.

Fair warning!! you will have to navigate gravel to get to the Solstace ride, so be careful ok?

Gravel smavel. The mighty K75s is actually not too bad in the gravel. If you make it over sometime this summer I'll take you on a gravel road that goes around Brown County and Lake Monroe that is fun to ride on. It's only the rain that gives me problems. My mom told me that I'm not allowed to ride in the rain anymore, because every time that I've bit the dust it's been when it's rainy. I mean what the hell, I rode when it was snowing mutiple times this winter, and then when it's 60 and barely sprinkling I bite the dust. :doh

YB in IN said:
My mom told me that I'm not allowed to ride in the rain anymore, because every time that I've bit the dust it's been when it's rainy.

if your mom doesn't want you to ride in rain, then she is going need to belly up to the bar and buy you a nice shiny harley.

:D

:hide

username said:
if your mom doesn't want you to ride in rain, then she is going need to belly up to the bar and buy you a nice shiny harley.

:D

:hide

I don't know. Between riding in the rain and riding a Harley, she'd probably want me to keep riding in the rain.
:)

Parts is parts

Garth dude, I bet V V has what ya need kicking around the Sled dog garage. yep, Ya just never know when gravity vs the slick crap comes your way. been there! ping me if ewe don't have a contact for him. SS

Garth,
I'm glad you're ok! BTDT.

FWIW,
IF you do decide to get your insurance company involved, don't be surprised to see a very large repair bill - especially if you dented the tank. I had a similar 11 mph spill a couple years ago that resulted in over $3k in damage to my K75s. Rather than repair the old bike, I took the cash, sold the bike as is (it wasn't totalled), walked away with more than I'd paid for the bike 80k miles previous, and invested in my current bike.

If you keep the insurance company out of it and handle the repairs yourself, but let someone else do the painting, you're probably looking at a couple hundred plus the cost of painting. BTDT.

good luck. :thumb

knary said:
Garth,
I'm glad you're ok! BTDT.

FWIW,
IF you do decide to get your insurance company involved, don't be surprised to see a very large repair bill - especially if you dented the tank. I had a similar 11 mph spill a couple years ago that resulted in over $3k in damage to my K75s. Rather than repair the old bike, I took the cash, sold the bike as is (it wasn't totalled), walked away with more than I'd paid for the bike 80k miles previous, and invested in my current bike.

If you keep the insurance company out of it and handle the repairs yourself, but let someone else do the painting, you're probably looking at a couple hundred plus the cost of painting. BTDT.

good luck. :thumb

Surprisingly enough I didn't dent the tank. I was pretty happy about that. I'm proabably just going to fix it on my own as it basically cosmetic. I'm sort of flirting with the idea though of getting insurance involved so that I can get my helmet replaced. I have to call my agent and check if I have equipment covered or not, and what they would pay towards a new helmet.

YB in IN said:
Surprisingly enough I didn't dent the tank. I was pretty happy about that. I'm proabably just going to fix it on my own as it basically cosmetic. I'm sort of flirting with the idea though of getting insurance involved so that I can get my helmet replaced. I have to call my agent and check if I have equipment covered or not, and what they would pay towards a new helmet.

I repaired the fairing on my K75s and found the work to be tedious, but not that difficult. One thing to remember is that plain old bondo isn't necessarily flexible enough to be used on some parts of the fairing - specifically those areas near mounting points.

Glad you are okay dude. I see a tech day in Garth's Garage coming during the convalesence phase.

Remember all the gear all the time.

well, you got that out of the way, and right at the begining of the "riding season" (whatever that means :dunno ) good thing it wasn't june or you might have really been hurt riding around in shorts and sandals :D

great to hear you're alright and your bike got out relatively unscathed as well!

As everyone else has said, the important thing is that you are okay.

BradfordBenn said:
Remember all the gear all the time.

I agree with BradfordBenn. Last summer, right after we purchased hip pads, the parts guy at our dealer told us that was a very wise investment because he believes hip pads are the most important protection in our suits. He said that is one of the most common injuries. If you don't use them, might want to consider them. They give you that attractive wide-a## look, but it's better than a bruised/broken hip.

Well this had turned out to be quite the fortuitous little spill. I accidentally (don't ask) had a claim started on my bike and the insurance guy came out today. He actually noticed a couple of things that I hadn't, like where a little bit of the paint had rubbed off on the tank. Long story short, he figured it would cost $2300 to fix my bike based off of the Max BMW online parts catalog. Seems sort of high to me but whatever. My bike is of now officially totaled believe it or not. I'm going to be getting a nice little check to put towards a new helmet, and maybe get all the stuff I need to hook up my XM on my bike. I now only have a salvage title for my bike, but I don't really care all that much about that. So I guess that this all turned out okay in the end after all. Sure my rates may go up, but I'm going to back my coverage way down to just liability, so hopefully that will even things out. :thumb

it's sweet to extract the equity from a vehicle, and still have the vehicle.

i've done this with cars, had them repaired economically, and then had them retitled. it's pretty sweet, and for once, you feel like youre a little ahead in the insurance game.

Back