• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yellowstone in Late May?

That's Red Lodge City, Montana, Kevin. For a real treat, spend a night at this place:

http://www.thepollard.com/

And for a really great bar, try this place:

http://www.snowcreeksaloon.com/

Red Lodge is one of my favourite towns, along with Winthrop, Washington, Joseph, Oregon, and Waterton Townsite, in my home province. Places that have a vibe about them, and where you feel good, just being there.

Sounds GREAT!

Thanks for the intel. Happy New Year. :beer

Red Lodge is a really fun place, Kevin, with a good selection of accomodation.

The ride to Red Lodge isn't too shabby either coming up from Cody,WY on Chief Joseph Hwy then over Beartooth Pass:thumb If it's open by then...

As others pointed out, the area may still be snowbound in early June. I'm no expert on the Beartooth Hwy, but riding through on 6-25-11 I found this big guy lurking on the side of the highway, and folks were still skiing and snowmobiling from the parking pullouts.

Cody, WY is close by, offers an alternate route into the park, and has lots of lodging and restaurants. I have the Cowboy Museum in Cody on my go back and see list.

WY Hwy 296, the Chief Joseph Hwy, offers great scenery and some twisties if you are so inclined, but beware of the abundant tar snakes.

Should be a great trip in any case - enjoy the west!

Attachments

• 2011-06-25_12-16-46_670.jpg
    2011-06-25_12-16-46_670.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 118
The ride to Red Lodge isn't too shabby either coming up from Cody,WY on Chief Joseph Hwy then over Beartooth Pass:thumb If it's open by then...

If you are planning to ride over Beartooth Pass, either direction, BEWARE of the one and only passing lane which starts on a curve. I was taken out on that stretch when headed to the Gillette rally by a very experienced rider who just didn't see that see the winter sand in that passing lane - and ONLY in that passing lane.

Don't count on whoever is charged with sweeping off the winter sand learning from our experience. A riding friend reported the sand was still there a week after our collision. Guess it was just too much trouble and expense to send a truck with a brush to correct this little oversite. Also still wonder how many other accidents happened that year in the very same spot.

So, just a heads up.

Inspiration

These two Yellowstone threads have got my wheels spinning. I haven't been there since 1977 and want to go again before I die. Last time was a honeymoon trip in the camper van, this time would be on the bike. It would normally be a solo trip (wife is only vaguely aware of motorcycles in the driveway).

Stumbling block: health issues that started in 2009 give me pause.

Solution: A week ago, a friend who's ridden a few thousand miles with me said on another forum that he'd like to do a west coast trip. I'm about to give him a call. I know we can ride and spend several days together without getting on each other's nerves. Those people can be rare.

Thw Sylvan Pass between Cody and East Yellowstone is a winner - as is most of Wyoming. I spent a few weeks just riding the passes and through the high desert. If the spring flowers are out, you will have a treat. Head into the Tetons and on down to Dubois. Wind River Range. Powder River . . . . . it's fantastic country.

Beartooth Pass had just opened two days before - and I was there the end of June.

Enjoy your travels,

Muriel

The first full weekend in June there is a Volkswalk conducted at the Crazy Horse Mounumnet. A couple of cans of food is the entrance fee and you have the opportunity to enjoy a hike up to the outstreched arm of Crazy Horse. In 2005, a group of us from Phoenix attened and then we went our seperate ways. I took a couple of days to ride to West Yellowstone. This is now the second week of June, and when I woke up the next morning, snow covered the bike. Part of the group was heading to Jackson and ended up snowed in at Dubois, as the wind was too much over South Pass. They made it to Cody the same day I did, and attempeted to enter the park at the East entrance. Road contstrution and the rain made them turn around for another day in Cody. After spending two days in West Yellowstone, (nice weather) it again snowed on departure.

You plan for the worse and go for it. A very enjoyable part of our country with plenty of roads to ride.

bob

Hello Kevin,

My wife and I are planning a trip to YS in that same timeframe. We will be staying at West Yellowstone and doing day trips within the park and the surrounding area. Feel free to email me at txmxrider@yahoo.com if you want to compare research notes. Otherwise, keep your eye out for a blue '03 K1200GT with TX plates. Maybe our paths will cross.

PS, I enjoy your articles in the BMW-MOA. Keep up the good work!

Hello Kevin,

My wife and I are planning a trip to YS in that same timeframe. We will be staying at West Yellowstone and doing day trips within the park and the surrounding area. Feel free to email me at txmxrider@yahoo.com if you want to compare research notes. Otherwise, keep your eye out for a blue '03 K1200GT with TX plates. Maybe our paths will cross.

PS, I enjoy your articles in the BMW-MOA. Keep up the good work!

Will do. Departing Wisconsin around May 30th. Not planning to be back until around June 5/6.

Will BOLO (Be On The Lookout) for TX tags on a K1200GT. :wave

Have been doing some research for a ride with a buddy out west to South Dakota and on to Yellowstone in late May/early June in 2012.

Getting 'vibes' that this may not be a good time of year for Yellowstone, due to weather issues?

For those who have ridden out there around that time of year, what say ye?

Thanks - Kevin

I've been turned back by snow in Yellowstone, in June, twice... Last time was "09" [i think] 8" in the passes, & 4-5" inches in the park. Got as far as Devils Tower, and turned back to Deadwood.

I've been turned back by snow in Yellowstone, in June, twice... Last time was "09" [i think] 8" in the passes, & 4-5" inches in the park. Got as far as Devils Tower, and turned back to Deadwood.

Thanks for the intel.

Will monitor weather closely and be flexible in the decision-making process. :german

Yellowstone

Last year, we rode from Vancouver to the Grand Canyon. Weather in Yellowstone was fine. The Bison on the roads were really scary, though. As was the ride from Wyoming into Utah. The Grand Tetons were spectacular. After Memorial Day or Victoria Day for Canucks should be fine.

Have been doing some research for a ride with a buddy out west to South Dakota and on to Yellowstone in late May/early June in 2012.

Getting 'vibes' that this may not be a good time of year for Yellowstone, due to weather issues?

For those who have ridden out there around that time of year, what say ye?

Thanks - Kevin

Kevin my wife and I honeymooned there beginning May 19th 1977. Still on the honeymoon as of this writing. ( my wife made me write this) We were on a Gold wing and camped out at the Cody WY entrance. Weather was chilly at night but I had someone to cuddle up with.

Jack

Kevin my wife and I honeymooned there beginning May 19th 1977. Still on the honeymoon as of this writing. ( my wife made me write this) We were on a Gold wing and camped out at the Cody WY entrance. Weather was chilly at night but I had someone to cuddle up with.

Jack

I don't think your wife made you write that - sounded too much from the heart.

But I'll back you up if you ever retell it and stick to your story.

Lucky man. :thumb

Back