• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motel rooms at rally

It is the humidity coupled with the temp that makes one feel cold or to hot Greg, and beleive me the humidity is high in MO in July.

Jack

I get that. I'm from the high desert country west of the Rockies where we don't have much humidity, so it nails me pretty hard when I get anywhere west of the Mississippi. Still, every time I get back from a ride there, I only remember the great fun I had. The humidity is just a foot note.

Greg,

Really unpleasant time of year to be at a rally camping or just being outside for a long time. Those hot days are ones whenyou just want to run from AC building to AC building or just hang out at a pool.

HH

Greg,

Really unpleasant time of year to be at a rally camping or just being outside for a long time. Those hot days are ones whenyou just want to run from AC building to AC building or just hang out at a pool.

HH

If it gets down into the 70's (or lower) in the evenings, I don't have a big problem sleeping in humid areas, and that should be likely at Sedalia this year. One plus for that site is that I believe all the buildings we'll be using will be air conditioned - so there should be plenty of places to get in out of the heat. The site is very well established and appears to be immaculately maintained.

temps are a concern for my buddy and I as well, which is why we have chosen to hotel it. Based on some of the issues mentioned in this thread, my buddy called today to confirm (again) our reservation. Thankfully the hotel said everything was good!

Being from Ontario, we're used to some humidity. We'll be camping with Ted again - so nice having our camp all set up for us when we arrive! And the other conveniences he provides are great, too!

I said it before and I will say it again. Do not check with travelocity --check with the hotel direct. Travelocity's confirmation number means nothing to the hotel. Do yourself a big favor and call Danny Patel the Motel 7 manager direct.

Jack

I said it before and I will say it again. Do not check with travelocity --check with the hotel direct. Travelocity's confirmation number means nothing to the hotel. Do yourself a big favor and call Danny Patel the Motel 7 manager direct.

Jack

FYI, I've never heard anything really good about either Priceline or Travelocity.

Always contact my motels directly for reservations - talk to a real person at the front desk - get great rates.

Just saying............. :deal

FYI, I've never heard anything really good about either Priceline or Travelocity.

Always contact my motels directly for reservations - talk to a real person at the front desk - get great rates.

Just saying............. :deal

You are so right Kevan! Large gatherings like ours brings out the worst in these companies. They book you, give you a confirmation number and never contact the hotel. Then you arrive to check in and they have no record of your reservation. It has happened to everyone who has traveled a lot. FORGET THE BOOKING COMPANY AND THEIR CONFIRMATION NUMBERS CHECK DIRECTLY WITH THE HOTEL AND CONFIRM.

Jack

You are so right Kevan! Large gatherings like ours brings out the worst in these companies. They book you, give you a confirmation number and never contact the hotel. Then you arrive to check in and they have no record of your reservation. It has happened to everyone who has traveled a lot. FORGET THE BOOKING COMPANY AND THEIR CONFIRMATION NUMBERS CHECK DIRECTLY WITH THE HOTEL AND CONFIRM.

Jack

I've had the same problem with a number of hotels, both personally and for business conventions. We've even had that problem a lot for rooms booked by the MOA. You'd think that since Job One for a hotel is to book rooms they would have it down to a science - you'd think that - but you'd be wrong. :brow

Priceline's remedial action-- Room at last!

I have found a room elswhere and Priceline is refunding the difference between the Price of American Inn and my new place. I will have to pay in full and be reimbursed a few weeks later. Here are the relevant parts of the letter:

As agreed, although the price of your new reservation is higher than your previously confirmed price, Priceline.com will reimburse you with the difference in price as a gesture of goodwill. Any costs that you incur to acquire equal accommodation beyond the agreed upon 157.26 USD at the American Inn will be reimbursed to your accounts.

Once you have completed your stay, please send a copy of the invoice and receipt you receive from the hotel and your bank account details to:

Email: customer.relations@booking.com or
Fax : +31 20 7153090

- Account holder name
- Account holder address
- Bank name
- Address of the bank
- Account number
- ABA/routing Number
- Swift/Bic code

In most cases reimbursement is finalized with 3 to 4 weeks after we receive the above information. Should you have have received reimbursement at this time we ask that you inform us so that we may investigate.

I will be staying at a Bed and Breakfast. Anyone know anything good or bad about the Georgetown Inn?

Please let me know.

I would cautious of where and to whom you send your bank account information to as requestd in the email. Sounds like a scam to get your banking info.

I have found a room elswhere and Priceline is refunding the difference between the Price of American Inn and my new place. I will have to pay in full and be reimbursed a few weeks later. Here are the relevant parts of the letter:

As agreed, although the price of your new reservation is higher than your previously confirmed price, Priceline.com will reimburse you with the difference in price as a gesture of goodwill. Any costs that you incur to acquire equal accommodation beyond the agreed upon 157.26 USD at the American Inn will be reimbursed to your accounts.

Once you have completed your stay, please send a copy of the invoice and receipt you receive from the hotel and your bank account details to:

Email: customer.relations@booking.com or
Fax : +31 20 7153090

- Account holder name
- Account holder address
- Bank name
- Address of the bank
- Account number
- ABA/routing Number
- Swift/Bic code

In most cases reimbursement is finalized with 3 to 4 weeks after we receive the above information. Should you have have received reimbursement at this time we ask that you inform us so that we may investigate.

I will be staying at a Bed and Breakfast. Anyone know anything good or bad about the Georgetown Inn?

Please let me know.

You are being had my friend, to put it bluntly! Priceline does not offer refunds such as this. You were fished off the internet. If anyone were to give you a refund they would send you a check directly to your home address. Non of the hotel booking companies operate this way nor do they offer any apologies let alone pay you for the difference between a rebooking.

Jack

We made our reservations last October. We called the Motel direct. I don't use any of those so called savings sites. We booked three nights for $64.95 + tax per night. I had my wife call the other day to check, and they said yes we have your room... We do this all the time, and if for some reason we decice not to go, we just cancel. We had reservations for the Redmond Rally but canceled the week before.

Caution with Bank info

I would cautious of where and to whom you send your bank account information to as requestd in the email. Sounds like a scam to get your banking info.

I would agree if it were not Priceline I was dealing with. I have been a customer for many years and no problems yet. Still I will use an account with only about $50 in it just to make certain.

As for the phone number, I am pretty sure there is a mistake. I would think it would be a US number and the guy writing the email screwed it up. I plan to use the email address.

I would agree if it were not Priceline I was dealing with. I have been a customer for many years and no problems yet. Still I will use an account with only about $50 in it just to make certain.

As for the phone number, I am pretty sure there is a mistake. I would think it would be a US number and the guy writing the email screwed it up. I plan to use the email address.

I've never known any of my business dealings ask for my bank account information through an email. Closest is when I set up auto payment for my credit card, etc., which was done through a process on their secure website, not by email.

Email does appear to be from priceline (booking.com appears to be owned by them). I still would demand a check, however.

I've had numerous phishing/spam emails ask me for my bank account information. Phone/fax number and use of "USD" also adds flags.

I suspect you'll lose your $50 soon after you supply that information.

Red Flags

I've never known any of my business dealings ask for my bank account information through an email. Closest is when I set up auto payment for my credit card, etc., which was done through a process on their secure website, not by email.

Email does appear to be from priceline (booking.com appears to be owned by them). I still would demand a check, however.

I've had numerous phishing/spam emails ask me for my bank account information. Phone/fax number and use of "USD" also adds flags.

I suspect you'll lose your $50 soon after you supply that information.

I will call Priceline directly before I supply my bank information. Just remember everytime you sen a check to someone they also receive your routing number and account information as well as the name of the bank.

Sherpa is right about the $50. It is at risk with this transaction. After I call Priceline and verify the email address, I am going to lower the balance to about $5 or $10. At least if I am to learn a lesson here, I want it to be a cheap one.

I thank everyone for alerting me that things do not look right. The one thing that makes me feel a little better is that I contacted Priceline by phone, which resulted in the emails from Booking.com. Booking.com knew all the details of my original reservation with the American Inn.

During this process they also talked to the Owner of the American Inn and the Owner of the Georgetown Inn. That seems like a lot of work over a perion of several weeks to get into my bank account. I admit I too paused for a minute when I saw the method of remuneration. I would have liked a refund to my credit card or Paypal.

See you guys at the rally!

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/deal.gif

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/drink.gif

:deal

I will call Priceline directly before I supply my bank information. Just remember everytime you sen a check to someone they also receive your routing number and account information as well as the name of the bank.

Sherpa is right about the $50. It is at risk with this transaction. After I call Priceline and verify the email address, I am going to lower the balance to about $5 or $10. At least if I am to learn a lesson here, I want it to be a cheap one.

I thank everyone for alerting me that things do not look right. The one thing that makes me feel a little better is that I contacted Priceline by phone, which resulted in the emails from Booking.com. Booking.com knew all the details of my original reservation with the American Inn.

During this process they also talked to the Owner of the American Inn and the Owner of the Georgetown Inn. That seems like a lot of work over a perion of several weeks to get into my bank account. I admit I too paused for a minute when I saw the method of remuneration. I would have liked a refund to my credit card or Paypal.

See you guys at the rally!

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/deal.gif

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/drink.gif

:deal

Don't say we didn't try to warn you! This should be very obvious to most people. I think you are in denial. WADR

Jack

No Rooms To Be Found

Why don't we hold these rallies in areas with more rooms available? Riding from FL to MO and then staying in a flee bag motel 40 miles from the rally is a rally deal breaker. :banghead

That was so 29 seconds ago...:whistle (shamelessly stolen from the commercial)

This gets discussed every year...scroll down a few pages as I am not linking to it...
I have stayed many miles from a rally location...part of enjoying the area to us. It allows for a a nice ride in the AM and PM and not as crowded spots for eating as well...not a deal breaker, to us anyways.
But if you enjoy the beer tent, maybe a tent is a better call anyways.:hungover

Last edited:
Back