Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Motel rooms at rally

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by modarin9 View Post
    Well gullible me I just called the Econo Lodge in Knob Noster and they do not have a record of my reservation (done through Orbitz) nor any rooms available! I am glad to have been reading the Forum as I would have walked in in July thinking all was well. Here's to all of you that posted comments. Now the search really begins again!

I suggest you all call and confirm your reservations. MO will really be hot and humid that time of year plus mosquitos and flies so sleeping in a tent w/out AC is not my idea of fun. Good luck folks.

Hey if anyone has truly secured a room and is looking to split the cost or their riding buddy can't make it let me know. I am quiet and don't snore!

Nestor
    Hate to say I told you so. Read my post #24 above, then check with hotel not booking company to see if you really do have a reservation!

Thank you Jack!

Jack

PS Booking company confirmation numbers mean nothing. Check directly with the Hotel. You might be surprised or offered a booking of over the counter rates instead, not the booking company discount rate you thought you had. Or no room at all. Travelocity-Priceline-Expedia etc.
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Along the Banks of the Ohio River in Madison Indiana

Check further south.....

Check for rooms around Warsaw. Its about 30 Miles south on 65. Easy ride up
    to the fairgrounds. Parkview Inn had rooms also had a pool. Several Motels to choose from
    good hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    please keep in mind it most likely will be VERY HOT. We like to camp, but July in Mo. means a motel...

From weather.com....

Typical weather data in Sedalia for July 19:

Sunrise: 6:04 AM
    Sunset: 8:34 PM
    Ave High: 88??F
    Ave Low: 67??F
    Mean: 77??F
    Record High: 108??F (1954)
    Record Low: 52??F (1947)

For comparison, Bloomsburg for July 19 (though rally Friday was Jul 15):

Sunrise: 5:50 AM
    Sunset: 8:33 PM
    Ave High: 85??F
    Ave Low: 62??F
    Mean: 73??F
    Record High: 98??F (1930)
    Record Low: 49??F (1956)

Oddly, the website doesn't pick up last year's high temperatures (I measured highs of 106??).

If it stays out of the 90's (per average high) in Sedalia, I think the typical camper will be happy. Last year was just plain brutal.
    Camping guy

I made a reservation yesterday at the Hampton Inn in Clinton, about 40 miles away. [If I can't walk to the rally, 40 miles away is the same as four miles away, cuz I don't drink and drive].

BTW Hilton does not charge your credit card in advance, and you can usually cancel right up to the day of arrival. If the temps are above 95 most likely I won't show up.

PS: some chains of hotels might show no vacancy on their corporate website, but if you call the front desk sometimes they do have rooms.

Unhappy Priceline Reservation no good at American Inn Sedalia

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Hate to say I told you so. Read my post #24 above, then check with hotel not booking company to see if you really do have a reservation!

Thank you Jack!

Jack

PS Booking company confirmation numbers mean nothing. Check directly with the Hotel. You might be surprised or offered a booking of over the counter rates instead, not the booking company discount rate you thought you had. Or no room at all. Travelocity-Priceline-Expedia etc.

Jack,

Priceline let me down too! I called the hotel, American Inn Sedalia, and found they were sold out and had no reservation for me. I got the run around for about a week, having been told I needed to speak to Alex at the American Inn. I was not told they found my reservation, and I was not told they overbooked.

I called three times today, and was given different times that he would be in. On the third call "Alex" refused to speak to me and instructed the employee to tell me there is no record of a reservation. I told the employee I had a reservation with a confirmation number from Priceline where I reserved. She told me to take it up with Priceline.

I called Priceline and they called the American Inn Sedalia to confirm what I said. They confirmed what I told them. They said they would book a hotel for me, and the American Inn Sedalia would have to pay the difference in price and the booking fees.

We shall see if it works out. I may have to leave without the wife and take the tent. At least Priceline stuck up for me. Now if they can find me a room!

Double check your reservations.

UPDATE: I received the following email from Priceline today.

Thank you for choosing Priceline.com.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the American Inn for not honoring your confirmed reservation XXXXXXXXXX.

On the rare occasion that a hotel becomes overbooked, we require the hotel to take all necessary steps to ensure that your reservation is transferred to a suitable alternative hotel or we will do so ourselves so as to not inconvenience you more.

We will get back to you as soon as possible to keep you informed. Thank you for your patience.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you again for choosing Priceline.com. We apologize for the inconvenience and we hope to be your online hotel reservation choice in the future.

Kind regards,

---
    Matthew Huizinga
    Customer Service Team
    Last edited by aperris; 02-09-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Update
    Ale>< in Akron, OH and that picture is a girl with a cute smile

Jack Herbst
    So I take it that everyone has checked with thier hotel (not booking company) to verifie thier reservation right? Some are getting the surprise of thier life. Do'nt fail to do so!

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Priceline's disappointing action

So I take it that everyone has checked with thier hotel (not booking company) to verifie thier reservation right? Some are getting the surprise of thier life. Do'nt fail to do so!

Jack
    Priceline is now telling me I can havea room 18 miles away or be on a waitlist for 1st cancellation at American Inn. I am somewhat disappointed.

UPDATE from Priceline:

Thank you for choosing Priceline.com.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the American Inn for not honoring your confirmed reservation. Availability of rooms is managed by the individual hotels and when you booked your booking details were sent to the hotel via a secure online system.

On the rare occasion that a hotel becomes overbooked, we require the hotel to take all necessary steps to ensure that your reservation is transferred to a suitable alternative hotel or we will do so ourselves so as to not inconvenience you more.

We haev received conformation from the American Inn that they can offer a sister property that is 18 miles away or you can be on their waiting list and they will put your reservation at the top, so that when a cancellation comes in, they will confirm your reservation.

If you would like to discuss these options, please contact us at your earliest convenience. We have include the contact details below:
    Ale>< in Akron, OH and that picture is a girl with a cute smile

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaMayberry View Post
    From weather.com....

Typical weather data in Sedalia for July 19:

Sunrise: 6:04 AM
    Sunset: 8:34 PM
    Ave High: 88??F
    Ave Low: 67??F
    Mean: 77??F
    Record High: 108??F (1954)
    Record Low: 52??F (1947)

For comparison, Bloomsburg for July 19 (though rally Friday was Jul 15):

Sunrise: 5:50 AM
    Sunset: 8:33 PM
    Ave High: 85??F
    Ave Low: 62??F
    Mean: 73??F
    Record High: 98??F (1930)
    Record Low: 49??F (1956)

Oddly, the website doesn't pick up last year's high temperatures (I measured highs of 106??).

If it stays out of the 90's (per average high) in Sedalia, I think the typical camper will be happy. Last year was just plain brutal.
    SCREW that! I'd rather ride back and forth through Death Valley in a sweatshirt for a weekend.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmut_Head View Post
    SCREW that! I'd rather ride back and forth through Death Valley in a sweatshirt for a weekend.
    I guess I'm confused. You're saying that an average high of 88 degrees is too hot to ride?
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    I guess I'm confused. You're saying that an average high of 88 degrees is too hot to ride?
    It is the humidity coupled with the temp that makes one feel cold or to hot Greg, and beleive me the humidity is high in MO in July.

Jack

It is the humidity coupled with the temp that makes one feel cold or to hot Greg, and beleive me the humidity is high in MO in July.

Jack
    I get that. I'm from the high desert country west of the Rockies where we don't have much humidity, so it nails me pretty hard when I get anywhere west of the Mississippi. Still, every time I get back from a ride there, I only remember the great fun I had. The humidity is just a foot note.
    Greg Feeler

Greg,

Really unpleasant time of year to be at a rally camping or just being outside for a long time. Those hot days are ones whenyou just want to run from AC building to AC building or just hang out at a pool.

HH
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmut_Head View Post
    Greg,

Really unpleasant time of year to be at a rally camping or just being outside for a long time. Those hot days are ones whenyou just want to run from AC building to AC building or just hang out at a pool.

HH
    If it gets down into the 70's (or lower) in the evenings, I don't have a big problem sleeping in humid areas, and that should be likely at Sedalia this year. One plus for that site is that I believe all the buildings we'll be using will be air conditioned - so there should be plenty of places to get in out of the heat. The site is very well established and appears to be immaculately maintained.
    Greg Feeler

temps are a concern for my buddy and I as well, which is why we have chosen to hotel it. Based on some of the issues mentioned in this thread, my buddy called today to confirm (again) our reservation. Thankfully the hotel said everything was good!
    CanadianViking
    2009 Lava Orange K1300R

Being from Ontario, we're used to some humidity. We'll be camping with Ted again - so nice having our camp all set up for us when we arrive! And the other conveniences he provides are great, too!