View Poll Results: My opinion of current BMW style (Specifically the GS model line)

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ugly to the point I would not buy one

33 17.37%
  • The style doesn't appeal to me but I would buy one anyway

21 11.05%
  • Neutral - The current style doesn't matter to me

43 22.63%
  • Attractive - I like the current style

93 48.95%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Ugly BMW's?

I don't know if it's a federal DOT law, but there used to be a law (I think) in many states that the rear fender had to touch a wall before the tire did. This may be old and/or bogus...

There is beauty in function. Ve don't vant pozers!

Beauty is in the behind of the holder, but I've always thought the (1992?) K1200RS with the silver & blue bodywork was one sexy bike.

Quote Originally Posted by hultman View Post
    Still, I find it hard to believe that BMW designers couldn't offer a simplified version of the GS, like the XCountry design, that would make the bike irresistible.
    They do. It's called the R1200R Classic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Beauty is in the behind of the holder, but I've always thought the (1992?) K1200RS with the silver & blue bodywork was one sexy bike.
    +1!
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    There is beauty in function. Ve don't vant pozers!
    I guess that's what I'm really complaining about. Too MUCH design/over-design and not enough respect for the basic function of the motorcycle.

Why do we need all this crappy plastic junk? I look at all my old bikes, English, Italian and German. Back the '60's, 70's and even in to the 80's, it seems that they could make a bike incredibly sexy and beautiful by just designing the pieces and parts that were needed to make the bike work.

Fairings I can understand, either for touring or racing, but the needless complexity and over-design of nearly every BMW motorcycle today has simply overwhelmed the beauty of the function.

Instead of better designed motorcycles, all we get is more plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    They do. It's called the R1200R Classic.
    Good point. Gorgeous bike. Another good example is the Guzzi V7.

Business Casual
    I thought BMW took a step toward simplifying design with the 1150 Rockster.
    It was a clean looking bike no matter what you think of the color schemes.

The older airheads are absolutely beautiful.

71136437_d.jpg

How can this happen? Why did this happen? Is the designer the CEO's favorite nephew?
    It happens by plan and for good reasons.

If a new bike isn't shocking it's boring.

New sells. Old not so much.

You'll get used to it and eventually like it.

I recall thinking the R1100S was the ugliest BMW I'd ever seen and called it "the bike with the 5-foot long gas tank." They look OK to me now. Kind of old fashioned quaint, perhaps.

Most notable example of all this occurred with the "Bangle Butt" BMW cars--everyone hated them at first but eventually they became all time best sellers, copied by many (Honda?).

This is BMW--other makes will copy them. It won't be the other way around.

Ducatis look lots wierder than they used to, as well, and they're doing better than ever, too.

Oh, and the engineering improves, too. BMW doesn't stand still nor regress. If there are some moments of unreliability that should be expected, as BMW is in the cutting edge business and not the refrigerator business. KLRs and Concours are the refrigerators of the motorcycle world but BMW makes more money. They do offer the opportunity to get off the jet plane and back to a train for those ready for that.

Most of us get old and find the world passing us by a bit--it's nothing to complain about, in reality, and we'll just be ignored in any event. Don't worry, be happy.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

If BMW designed a basic off road motorcycle then they couldn't charge >$20,000 for it. More tech to keep people from working on them like the good old run for ever easily maintained by someone w/ basic mechanical skills airheads.

When BMW went to CANBUS, is the last time I looked at BMW as a bike I'd buy as this is entering into their car realm which means to me, don't own a BMW after the warranty goes out as it's gonna cost some serious cash to repair.

While new BMW's maybe for some, not for me as I like to keep things for a long while. I've got two BMW's a R1150RS and G/S, the G/S will be the last to go...if ever.

If you think about it an old G/S ain't the prettiest bike either, until you own one. It's was designed for a purpose, to be ridden as a DS bike, function over form.
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Why do we need all this crappy plastic junk?
    Instead of better designed motorcycles, all we get is more plastic.
    Plastic instead of metal may translate to less weight, always a good thing from my perspective. Plastic may also be added for protection... if you go sliding down the road which would you rather have: a hole in your gas tank or a hole in something that looks like un-needed bodywork but actually protects the tank. Plastic body panels may also be added for better air flow (perhaps not on the GS ) which can translate to better mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by 04R1150RS
    When BMW went to CANBUS, is the last time I looked at BMW as a bike I'd buy as this is entering into their car realm ...
    BMW is not the only bike manufactured that uses the CAN bus. I suspect that if non-CAN bikes are your choice you are going to have fewer and fewer bikes to choose from over time. Already BMW, Ducati, and the the newer Triumph bikes use a CAN-bus. Harley's HDLAN is CAN-bus technology. Kawasaki's KIBS (their ABS system) uses the CAN-bus. I think the big difference is the other vendors don't make a big deal about it.

When you're riing along the road and another rider is coming at you, there is no mistaking a GS! Personally, I love the look.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It happens by plan and for good reasons.

If a new bike isn't shocking it's boring.

New sells. Old not so much.
    Yeah, well I remember when Boy George used that approach. Didn't like him either !!

Most notable example of all this occurred with the "Bangle Butt" BMW cars--everyone hated them at first but eventually they became all time best sellers, copied by many (Honda?).
    Good example - I still hate them!

This is BMW--other makes will copy them. It won't be the other way around.
    I'd question that. I don't recall anyone copying the GS front fender treatment? And no one ever copied the Pontiac Aztec either!

Ducatis look lots wierder than they used to, as well, and they're doing better than ever, too.
    You're comparing the 916 to a GS? That might work except for the simple fact that everyone pretty much agrees that the 916 is the sexiest motorcycle ever built and the GS is the ugliest.

Most of us get old and find the world passing us by a bit--it's nothing to complain about, in reality, and we'll just be ignored in any event. Don't worry, be happy.
    THAT I do agree on! Old curmudgeons like me do not influence modern design, even though we should!!

I'd question that. I don't recall anyone copying the GS front fender treatment?
    The current models of Triumph Tiger Explorer and Tiger 800XC, Ducati Multistrada 1200, and the upcoming Honda Crosstourer all copy the GS front fender treatment.

For a long time I thought the GS was on the homely side, going all the way back to the airheads. But I've gradually come around and my tastes have shifted. I still think some models are kinda ugly, but to my eyes the R1200GS is quite handsome. I admire and respect the heftier GSA, but the slimmer, lighter, lower GS would be my pick as best looking of the lot. And I like that the GS has brought respectability to plain-looking-but-functional luggage.

I might prefer a roadster over the GS except I think the GS has more options for setting it up just the way I'd like it.
    Last edited by MarkM; 12-16-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

I own 7 ugly BMW's. But all the women I date are absolutly beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    The current models of Triumph Tiger Explorer and Tiger 800XC, Ducati Multistrada 1200, and the upcoming Honda Crosstourer all copy the GS front fender treatment.

Oh crap. You're right. Jeez, I really am behind the times, aren't I?

Oh well, they're still ugly! That's my opinion and I'm stickin' with it!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    I've gradually come around and my tastes have shifted.
    And that's the point.

When you're a designer of great renown and have what it takes to be hired by the likes of BMW, you're the one that sets the trends that the rest of us "come around to."

If all you can do is repeat the past, you don't get hired.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S