• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why Ugly BMW's?

My opinion of current BMW style (Specifically the GS model line)

• Ugly to the point I would not buy one

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • The style doesn't appeal to me but I would buy one anyway

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Neutral - The current style doesn't matter to me

Votes: 38 22.5%
  • Attractive - I like the current style

Votes: 86 50.9%

• Total voters
Been thinking a bit more about this poll. Almost 30% of those responding don't like the style of the current GS. 16% of them think it's so ugly that they wouldn't buy one.

Think about this. These are the faithful, members of the MOA. Probably BMW employees, even. Many of us bleed BMW blue. We eat, drink, sleep and dream BMW. And 16% wouldn't buy this bike because it is flat out UGLY!

And only half of those responding like the style.

What would those numbers be among the general public? The general BUYING public?

I think that BMW needs to pay attention to numbers like these. And give us a BMW that looks like a BMW, not like something designed by Boy George on crack! :mad

Just sayin'

Interesting thought about BMW paying attention to the numbers from the MOA.

Now i wonder;
what percentage of BMW buyers who are members of the MOA vs those who are not might be, and what the non members would say about the looks /design ?

Then another question comes to mind ;
what % of overall world wide sales of BMW motorcycle & the GS model specifically does the MOA account for ?

Been thinking a bit more about this poll. Almost 30% of those responding don't like the style of the current GS. 16% of them think it's so ugly that they wouldn't buy one.

Think about this. These are the faithful, members of the MOA. Probably BMW employees, even. Many of us bleed BMW blue. We eat, drink, sleep and dream BMW. And 16% wouldn't buy this bike because it is flat out UGLY!

And only half of those responding like the style.

What would those numbers be among the general public? The general BUYING public?

I think that BMW needs to pay attention to numbers like these. And give us a BMW that looks like a BMW, not like something designed by Boy George on crack! :mad

Just sayin'

Gosh - you just gotta love stats. Without the hassle of waterboarding, you can get them to say anything you want them to, given some creative manipulation of the numbers.

As of this morning, with 65 members responding, better than 84% of the MOA either likes the style or would at least buy one regardless. There you have it - an overwhelming vote of confidence for the GS - or is it?

65 members out of say, 35,000 represents .19% of the MOA. This is why I support surveys and detest polls. Surveys offer everyone the chance to weigh in, while polls talk to a few people and then tell me what I think - very insulting.

Seems like an "eye of the beholder" discussion anyways. While I don't currently own a GS, I find their functional styling somewhat appealing. JMHO. :german

Ugly is as ugly does.

Too many bikes are designed to look attractive.
Great when it is parked.

Give me a bike that looks great from the seat.
One that works well, goes fast if I want too, stops well on all surfaces and
weather conditions I typically ride in.
One that carries two people and our gear in comfort.
One that easily powers 2 heated jacket liners and gloves.
Throw in some driving lights, GPS, Autocom, etc. and have left over
to run heated seat.

If I want to park it and look at it to judge its value/beauty I can do that too.
My GT is a striking design and often receives compliments.

But I don't buy a mc to park it and compare looks.
Ain't no beauty contest, IMO, unless you want to ride 500 miles and then kick tires
then do it again.

The idea of buying a bike for looks has merit.
The idea of buying for function has merit.
Calling a bike ugly based on how it looks parked does everyone an injustice.
Best wishes.

The idea of buying a bike for looks has merit.
The idea of buying for function has merit.
Why not both? I love riding my RS. And when it's parked, I love how it looks. But I agree that function is first priority and looks is second. Applies to many things in life, maybe even most things. I had to chuckle at your post coming from a guy with a gorgeous GT. ;)

Ugly BMWs

Will all of the owners of ugly BMWs please be so kind and call me so I can take those wretched bikes off of your hands before you are caught with them? Just trying to provide a service for those of you who don't want to be caught dead with one!

Kent

P.S. I may have to build an addition to my garage to house them but it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make for my fellow BMWMOAers.

As of this morning, with 65 members responding, better than 84% of the MOA either likes the style or would at least buy one regardless.
Really? "Would buy one regardless?" You really consider that a resounding endorsement of the current style choices BMW is making? When many of the faithful would buy one "regardless" of the style? And less than half of the same faithful actually like your design?

I guess I'd have a hard time calling that a "success". At best I would call it a "momentum endorsement" of the historical superiority of the GS. Especially coming from MOA members who know this bike, or at least know it's history. But what about the rest of the world?

In any case, of course you're right, 71 responses isn't statistically significant. But at least it's being talked about and I can still hope that BMW is paying attention! However, I suspect they are too busy trying to convince the hip younger generation that this style is cool. And I will continue to hope that they pay attention to retro success stories like the mustang, camaro, challenger, mini cooper, etc.

But probably I'll just continue be a grumpy old fart who's pissed that he can't buy a new BMW! Oh well. :cry

Since the US/Canada are not the largest market for BMW, I don't see them changing anything to appease a small percentage of folks. Retro may be cool, but it's also not for everyone either.

And the new Mustang and Camaro look nothing or perform nothing like the original. but that's my :gerg opinion.

Wouldn't this be fun carried on in the old method of editorials in the magazine:laugh

Since the US/Canada are not the largest market for BMW, I don't see them changing anything to appease a small percentage of folks. Retro may be cool, but it's also not for everyone either.

And the new Mustang and Camaro look nothing or perform nothing like the original. but that's my :gerg opinion.

Wouldn't this be fun carried on in the old method of editorials in the magazine:laugh
I think between the previous "eyes of the beholder" comments & your "niche market comment" that pretty much sums it up. I think I recall from a mfg talk @ TN rally , that the BMW mkt share is like 3% or similar of USA bikes. They are looking after a certain few peoples taste.

I don't find any modern bmw particularly attractive, but they are very useful and good for tall people, one of the many reasons I love my 04 GS. I tried going with an older bike for a bit (84 ST) but it really didn't fit me very well, I guess the first BMW I had, an 84 R100 was more fondly remembered simply because I had no other comparison point.

The Hexhead GSes are far less attractive than the 1150 series, the best looking of the newer bikes.

I'm a vintage sort of guy, I can't wait to one day have a garage with a new and old bike in it, function and form depending on my mood.

Some bikes are undeniably gorgeous,

norton_manx_m30.jpg

some, completely hopeless, not even their designers like them

UTR-1.jpg

bmw falls in the middle with a vast majority of their offerings (and all the new ones, IMO), I mean, what is there to say about something like

BMW_K75.jpg

sorry K75 people.

Specifically the GS Line.....well, I find it to be functional and the best in its arena. As far as BMW styling in general...my '85 K100RS won international style awards when it came out - from non moto mags. All my K bikes have been very attractive bikes to me and generally elicited very appreciative comments. My K1300S is extremely attractive to me and many of my neighbors - from early highschoolers to old geezers in the 80's. But....as Paul said way back on the first page of 7, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I'll raise a beer to that.:drink

Some bikes are undeniably gorgeous, some, completely hopeless, not even their designers like them

This has got to be one that even the designer can't love!

1200gsfr.jpg

But then again, maybe I'm just missing something here. If someone would please explain to me what that huge, obscene red protrusion is above the front wheel, maybe I'd feel differently. I mean, the bike HAS a front fender, right? Is this big red beak protecting the front fender from a hail storm?

PS. Rumor has it that this picture is printed in the new age Merriam Webster dictionary right next to the word UGLY! One look at this and you KNOW what the word means! :laugh

This year I bought a 2011 R1200RT. It took me several years to get over the new RT's looks before I would consider one. Having ridden an RT a couple of times I realized what a wonderful bike it is, so I finally buckled and bought one.

When the 1200RT with the "floating" body panels came out I thought it was hideous. When I bought it I thought it was merely homely. Now I think is is OK looking. Its looks continue to grow on me, and a couple of people have said it is really good looking, but I'm not there yet.

The best looking classic vehicles have smooth, organic shapes with flowing lines. Think AC Cobra, BMW 328 or the new Alfa 8C. For bikes it would be a BSA Gold Star or '70's Ducati 750SS.

As functionally competent as they may be, the new slash cut line, origami styled vehicles will never be thought of in that way.

This has got to be one that even the designer can't love!

1200gsfr.jpg

But then again, maybe I'm just missing something here. If someone would please explain to me what that huge, obscene red protrusion is above the front wheel, maybe I'd feel differently. I mean, the bike HAS a front fender, right? Is this big red beak protecting the front fender from a hail storm?

PS. Rumor has it that this picture is printed in the new age Merriam Webster dictionary right next to the word UGLY! One look at this and you KNOW what the word means! :laugh

Hey, that's my bike, minus the topcase. It's GORGEOUS! :nyah

This has got to be one that even the designer can't love! ... If someone would please explain to me what that huge, obscene red protrusion is above the front wheel, maybe I'd feel differently.
Well I love it. :heart I'd take that in a New York minute for the right price--it's at the top of my wish list. And I don't see the obscene red protrusion you referred to... maybe you just need new glasses.

I wonder if it is possible to change the body design a bit and get rid of the beak on the front. Can someone photo shop it ??

The new Yamaha Tenere looks better IMHO.

I had a Wee Strom for a while but it was so ugly the other bikes in the stable at the time all complained about sharing space with it.

Back