• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why Ugly BMW's?

My opinion of current BMW style (Specifically the GS model line)

• Ugly to the point I would not buy one

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • The style doesn't appeal to me but I would buy one anyway

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Neutral - The current style doesn't matter to me

Votes: 38 22.5%
  • Attractive - I like the current style

Votes: 86 50.9%

• Total voters
I thought BMW took a step toward simplifying design with the 1150 Rockster.
It was a clean looking bike no matter what you think of the color schemes.

The older airheads are absolutely beautiful.

71136437_d.jpg

How can this happen? Why did this happen? Is the designer the CEO's favorite nephew?

It happens by plan and for good reasons.

If a new bike isn't shocking it's boring.

New sells. Old not so much.

You'll get used to it and eventually like it.

I recall thinking the R1100S was the ugliest BMW I'd ever seen and called it "the bike with the 5-foot long gas tank." They look OK to me now. Kind of old fashioned quaint, perhaps.

Most notable example of all this occurred with the "Bangle Butt" BMW cars--everyone hated them at first but eventually they became all time best sellers, copied by many (Honda?).

This is BMW--other makes will copy them. It won't be the other way around.

Ducatis look lots wierder than they used to, as well, and they're doing better than ever, too.

Oh, and the engineering improves, too. BMW doesn't stand still nor regress. If there are some moments of unreliability that should be expected, as BMW is in the cutting edge business and not the refrigerator business. KLRs and Concours are the refrigerators of the motorcycle world but BMW makes more money. They do offer the opportunity to get off the jet plane and back to a train for those ready for that.

Most of us get old and find the world passing us by a bit--it's nothing to complain about, in reality, and we'll just be ignored in any event. Don't worry, be happy.

If BMW designed a basic off road motorcycle then they couldn't charge >$20,000 for it. More tech to keep people from working on them like the good old run for ever easily maintained by someone w/ basic mechanical skills airheads.

When BMW went to CANBUS, is the last time I looked at BMW as a bike I'd buy as this is entering into their car realm which means to me, don't own a BMW after the warranty goes out as it's gonna cost some serious cash to repair.

While new BMW's maybe for some, not for me as I like to keep things for a long while. I've got two BMW's a R1150RS and G/S, the G/S will be the last to go...if ever.

If you think about it an old G/S ain't the prettiest bike either, until you own one. It's was designed for a purpose, to be ridden as a DS bike, function over form.

Why do we need all this crappy plastic junk?
Instead of better designed motorcycles, all we get is more plastic.

Plastic instead of metal may translate to less weight, always a good thing from my perspective. Plastic may also be added for protection... if you go sliding down the road which would you rather have: a hole in your gas tank or a hole in something that looks like un-needed bodywork but actually protects the tank. Plastic body panels may also be added for better air flow (perhaps not on the GS :laugh) which can translate to better mileage.

04R1150RS said:
When BMW went to CANBUS, is the last time I looked at BMW as a bike I'd buy as this is entering into their car realm ...

BMW is not the only bike manufactured that uses the CAN bus. I suspect that if non-CAN bikes are your choice you are going to have fewer and fewer bikes to choose from over time. Already BMW, Ducati, and the the newer Triumph bikes use a CAN-bus. Harley's HDLAN is CAN-bus technology. Kawasaki's KIBS (their ABS system) uses the CAN-bus. I think the big difference is the other vendors don't make a big deal about it.

When you're riing along the road and another rider is coming at you, there is no mistaking a GS! Personally, I love the look.

It happens by plan and for good reasons.

If a new bike isn't shocking it's boring.

New sells. Old not so much.
Yeah, well I remember when Boy George used that approach. Didn't like him either !! :laugh

Most notable example of all this occurred with the "Bangle Butt" BMW cars--everyone hated them at first but eventually they became all time best sellers, copied by many (Honda?).
Good example - I still hate them! :nono

This is BMW--other makes will copy them. It won't be the other way around.
I'd question that. I don't recall anyone copying the GS front fender treatment? And no one ever copied the Pontiac Aztec either!

Ducatis look lots wierder than they used to, as well, and they're doing better than ever, too.
You're comparing the 916 to a GS? That might work except for the simple fact that everyone pretty much agrees that the 916 is the sexiest motorcycle ever built and the GS is the ugliest.

Most of us get old and find the world passing us by a bit--it's nothing to complain about, in reality, and we'll just be ignored in any event. Don't worry, be happy.
THAT I do agree on! Old curmudgeons like me do not influence modern design, even though we should!! :laugh:laugh:laugh

I'd question that. I don't recall anyone copying the GS front fender treatment?
The current models of Triumph Tiger Explorer and Tiger 800XC, Ducati Multistrada 1200, and the upcoming Honda Crosstourer all copy the GS front fender treatment.

For a long time I thought the GS was on the homely side, going all the way back to the airheads. But I've gradually come around and my tastes have shifted. I still think some models are kinda ugly, but to my eyes the R1200GS is quite handsome. I admire and respect the heftier GSA, but the slimmer, lighter, lower GS would be my pick as best looking of the lot. And I like that the GS has brought respectability to plain-looking-but-functional luggage.

I might prefer a roadster over the GS except I think the GS has more options for setting it up just the way I'd like it.

Last edited:
The current models of Triumph Tiger Explorer and Tiger 800XC, Ducati Multistrada 1200, and the upcoming Honda Crosstourer all copy the GS front fender treatment.

:cry:banghead
Oh crap. You're right. Jeez, I really am behind the times, aren't I? :dunno

Oh well, they're still ugly! That's my opinion and I'm stickin' with it!

I've gradually come around and my tastes have shifted.

And that's the point.

When you're a designer of great renown and have what it takes to be hired by the likes of BMW, you're the one that sets the trends that the rest of us "come around to."

If all you can do is repeat the past, you don't get hired.

And that's the point.

When you're a designer of great renown and have what it takes to be hired by the likes of BMW, you're the one that sets the trends that the rest of us "come around to."

Except maybe by a certain maker of American assembled motorcycles.

I used to think that BMW motorcycles were the ugliest things on two wheels...

Then I rode one, and I've not turned back...

And that's the point.

All I can say to that is "to each his own". So these great designers can come up with nothing better than the Pontiac Aztec and GS BMW's? And I suppose great composers are responsible for modern rap music as well.

If that's the future, I'll take a retro V7 Guzzi and rock and roll!! :D

Livin' in the past is lookin' better every day!

I used to think that BMW motorcycles were the ugliest things on two wheels...

Then I rode one, and I've not turned back...

You can't see them when you riding them. I only see what is in front of my eyes as I ride and that ain't my motorsickle.

Whose name(s) shall remain anonymous, but begins with "T" and ends with "L", perhaps?

I think he was referring to a brand that starts with an H and ends with an N and is two words.

I get that not everyone likes what is being made today. I do. I've had many plastic covered bikes and have liked them a lot for their form and for their function. I've had lots of very technical electronically laden bikes and like them for their reliability. I've had far fewer problems with those bikes than the ones the you could and had to fix at the roadside (more often that I ever wanted to). I don't agree with those who issue blanket statements about what I like and call it crap because its not what they like. I don't like old technology and old designs. I have no intertest in a retro styled bike nor the original it mimics. But if that's what you like, good for you, nothing wrong with that, just don't expect me to like it too.

I would say that Richard and i think a lot alike.

I prefer simple. :eat

my stable is similar as well.

'04 R1150RT
'99 R1100GS
'77 R100S
'98 DR350

If BMW designed a basic off road motorcycle then they couldn't charge >$20,000 for it. More tech to keep people from working on them like the good old run for ever easily maintained by someone w/ basic mechanical skills airheads.

When BMW went to CANBUS, is the last time I looked at BMW as a bike I'd buy as this is entering into their car realm which means to me, don't own a BMW after the warranty goes out as it's gonna cost some serious cash to repair.

While new BMW's maybe for some, not for me as I like to keep things for a long while. I've got two BMW's a R1150RS and G/S, the G/S will be the last to go...if ever.

If you think about it an old G/S ain't the prettiest bike either, until you own one. It's was designed for a purpose, to be ridden as a DS bike, function over form.

You know,I agree that so many new BMWs are kind of ugly. I plan to stick with my 04 RS until something new comes out that is at least as good looking. I'm still kicking myself for selling my grey 82 RS. Now that was a beatiful bike!!

Had one!...& me too. Also miss my 84 "CS"..overall my favorite Airhead! Just a neat looking well performing motorcycle.

However, new technology comes along,..better charging,tubeless tires, better suspension,..and well we're forced to move 'up' if we want that stuff.

That said though...I do like my R1150R ...for it's looks and performance. Seating was a bit cramped, but did some adjusting, & it is better.

THAT said...when I had my Airheads, I was younger & more flexable:blush

Why does BMW make such ugly motorcycles ?

No easy answer to that question, I think a lot of things are nice looking while others would beg to differ.
BMW must be doing something right , at least in the sudo off road market, since everyone and their brother has something today that looks a lot like a BMW in more ways than not.

Me personally; I like older things, cars, bikes , boats and airplanes. I also prefer women with a certain look of maturity, a bit rubinesqe, a few smile lines and a lot of experience. They need to at least like motorcycles and allow me my passion about them.

My BMW preference is the Airhead version, simple lines, easy to live with and a personality that talks to me. I don't think I have ever seen an airhead that did not make me look twice and smile.

This post speaks less to the style of new models and more to the technology. When I buy a bike it is with the expectation that I will do all or almost all of the maintenance. And it is certainly with the expectation that when something breaks, at home or on the road, I am responsible for knowing what needs to be done to fix it.

So any great leap in technology - fuel injection on the K bikes, ABS I, II, iABS, Canbus, etc. is my responsibility to figure out. And, to figure out without benefit of a dedicated new model school put on by BMW. So each leap forward is faced with some trepidation.

I used to use a dwell meter. Now I use a GS-911. I used to set carb floats. Now I adjust the TPS.

Every model I have ever worked on had troublesome warts: slingers, broken transmission springs and shift kits, missing circlips, spline wear, burned out fans, HES wiring, water pump issues, antenna ring failures, axle tube defects, and/or whatever.

Almost without exception, each technology advance has made the bikes more trouble free, not less so. But there is a steep learning curve to cover the exceptions. That is the way it is. They have added a dozen or so new elements to the Periodic Table of Elements, and are talking about the Higgs Boson, absolutely inconceivable in my school days. Time marches on. With us or without us. And to our benefit or detriment. It is our choice.

Back