• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why Ugly BMW's?

My opinion of current BMW style (Specifically the GS model line)

• Ugly to the point I would not buy one

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • The style doesn't appeal to me but I would buy one anyway

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Neutral - The current style doesn't matter to me

Votes: 38 22.5%
  • Attractive - I like the current style

Votes: 86 50.9%

• Total voters
HP2-photo2-L.jpg

necessary beak...cool
OK, even I have to admit you're on to something there. This bike doesn't have a beak. It has a genuine front fender. Functional, simple. And even though the styling is a bit edgy and trendy, the bike makes a statement that I would accept. It even does away with the disgusting ABS system that encumbers almost all "modern" motorcycles.

However, the bike wasn't really a street bike. Could you even mount bags on this one? I've heard not. Too bad. It was probably the best of the GS line. When did they quit making it? And is there anything similar now?

Didn't think so. Too bad. :cry

OK, even I have to admit you're on to something there. This bike doesn't have a beak. It has a genuine front fender. Functional, simple.
Makes me wonder... is the GS beak there so you can remove the lower front fender for heavy duty off-roading?

...is the GS beak there so you can remove the lower front fender for heavy duty off-roading?

My GS Dakar came from the factory without the lower fender. The beak is pretty good at stopping rocks, sand and mud, but rain would come right up over the front and soak me at speed. I ride in the rain a lot so I added the fender.

i-JqMKQBh-L.jpg

OK, even I have to admit you're on to something there. This bike doesn't have a beak. It has a genuine front fender. Functional, simple. And even though the styling is a bit edgy and trendy, the bike makes a statement that I would accept. It even does away with the disgusting ABS system that encumbers almost all "modern" motorcycles.

However, the bike wasn't really a street bike. Could you even mount bags on this one? I've heard not. Too bad. It was probably the best of the GS line. When did they quit making it? And is there anything similar now?

Didn't think so. Too bad. :cry

This was a limited edition model, made only in 2005 and 2006. Every once in a while a good used onen comes up for about $13k.

The bike was developed as part of a marketing strategy to increase BMW's performance image. You can put bags on the bike, but it really doesn't like it... weight distribution goes too far rearward, making the bike a real handful in soft terrain like sand. The subframe really isn't designed to carry the weight of hard bags and only Touratech had mounts that halfway addressed the problem. I took the Jesse's that were on mine off and now use a Giant Loop Great Basin bag. And have learned how to pack much lighter.

Let me tell you, other than pure expressway slogging, this bike makes an excellent pavement machine. It is an absolute hooligan bike in the mountains.

I bought a second wheelset for mine, the R1200 GS 17/19 combo. With these wheels the bike does quite well.

The bike's original intent was as an open-class enduro racer, and with a set of true dirt wheels, which I also have, and a 36" inseam (which I don't have, by a long shot) you can muscle this bike through some pretty severe off-road tracks and trails. Since I am short, the best I can do is open country riding, where you really don't need to put your feet down. But when the going gets tight and technical, the bike is too heavy and tall to manage.

So... I put on the HPN 6 gallon tank and made it exactly what you say above.... the GS BMW should have built.

Ian

1044821844_Dscpb-XL.jpg

Feh... the beak's fine as it is. I'm hoping the new GS gets rid of that ugly bit of boomerang shaped trim. The '05-'07 GS was a better fit for my taste.

I like the stripped down GS/Ducati barebones look. I like the comfort of the big plastic RT's, but current models are so nasty looking, it's easy to confuse them with an overinflated scooter. When it's time to trade, either the designerazzi will have moved on to more pleasing designs, or I'll keep my R75/6 and trade the RT in for a less cushy but more stylish farm-implement-cycle.

Beauty in the eyes of........

Great discussion......I think we need to remember that style....is well........style........sumthin' for everyone.....BUT......I think my Igor & Inga......are easy on the eye!!!!:laugh

Y'all need to look at the benefit of "ugly" - Beemers are not high on the theft list for anybody. Harleys, Hondas, Yammies, all get snatched before us. :laugh

I'm way too old to wrestle thst much metal on dirt so the GS is not on my radar. I still prefer the full weather protection of a good touring model because I have no hesitation about riding in rain or cold when needed. If fire roads and dirt show up, I'll take a mid size, an enduro or true dirt machine, thank you. (Doesn't mean I won't traverse fire roads and gravel on my RT- its got a few hundred miles of that stuff- but it sure doesn't like to be there compared to a bike meant for the job)

The GS is unique and is creating copycats and I doubt any particular style makes a fan of everyone - I wonder if the "this design S****" response in this thread is any different from what one would find about any other motorcycle. I think Harleys and other cruisers and all the expensive custom stuff they do that destroys function is by definition stupid so I pay no attention whatever to anything in that sector. Neither Harley nor Polaris stand any chance at all of selling me a motorcycle. Those types were a logical choice 50 years ago but today only emotion can jsutify one of those things, or maybe stumpy legs- neither descirbe me.

Many here no doubt remember the Bangle Butt on BMW cages- widely criticised but did not slow the sales curve- and had a few who actually liked it.

I ride an RT and I just wish BMW would have real colors. Grey and silver don't do it for me. How about colors in the red/blue/green spectrum? Show some creativity for god's sake.

I ride an RT and I just wish BMW would have real colors. Grey and silver don't do it for me. How about colors in the red/blue/green spectrum? Show some creativity for god's sake.

I agree they do tend to favor drab ? colors...My Roadster is one of their nicer offerings..{IMO} It is Ferro blue , I removed the black graphics....looks better, again..{IMO}.

Back