• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Old dog, new forum member

hultman

Hello!

Been a BMW rider since around 1976, and currently have a number of Beemers:
2 R27's, R50/2, R80ST, R80RS, R75/5, 2 1200C's and an R65LS.

I also do a lot of British and Italian restorations, so that is where I spend most of my time. Needless to say, the Brits and Italians take a LOt more to keep running! :doh

However, the two R27's are both restoration projects and I will be starting on them soon, so I figure I should get involved with a BMW forum. I was a member of the OA years ago, and it's about time I re-joined.

Glad to be back!

Glad you're back! That's quite a nice range of bikes...enough to keep you off the streets, huh? The R80RS is a custom job, no doubt... The guys in the Airhead forum would be interested in seeing pictures of that. Consider posting a picture or two in the thread we've started for bike pics.

The R80RS is a custom job, no doubt... The guys in the Airhead forum would be interested in seeing pictures of that. Consider posting a picture or two in the thread we've started for bike pics.
Yeah, glad someone caught that. I never really cared for the 1000cc versions of the airhead. Always seemed a little buzzy to me. Many years ago, I'd been touring on an old R75/5 for years, and was thinking of upgrading to an R100RS. I rode a few but didn't like the feel. So I found a wrecked R80RT and built it in to an RS.

It's amazing how simple that is. Most of the fairing parts are the same, other than the center piece and mounts. And the result is everything I had hoped it would be. Smooth, plenty fast and gorgeous. I'll try to find a pic for the airhead forum.

I've been retired from long range touring for some time now, but I ride the ST every day it isn't snowing. Sounds like the airhead forum is the place for me!

Why limit yourself to the Airheads? Log on and hit the New Posts button. There's always good chatter going on.

Welcome back

Glad to see other more distinguished members returning to the Club... I was a member back in the early '80 and drifted in and out for a number of years. Let us know how your restorations are coming along...Your experience will benefit the club.

again, welcome back.

dwb

Glad to see other more distinguished members returning to the Club... I was a member back in the early '80 and drifted in and out for a number of years. Let us know how your restorations are coming along...Your experience will benefit the club.

again, welcome back.

dwb
OK, dude, who you callin' "Distinguished"? :jester More like old, grizzled, fat, bald and grumpy! :laugh

But yeah, I think it's good to be back. Even though my long haul touring days are behind me, the Beemers are still my first love.

Funny though, I've spent most of the last 40 years restoring old Brit's and Italian bikes, but I always RIDE the Beemers. I spend a lot of time on the Britbike forum where I can share a lot of what I've learned, but over here I'll be asking more questions than I'll be answering. I've had these two little R27's for years, and am really looking forward to that project.

So far I like the tone of this site, but then I shouldn't be surprised. Beemer folk always were first class!:D

Back