• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need idea for a 10 day trip

1961BMWR69S

1960R100S
Hi... I have to turn my vk into work after the first of the year. I was thinking September would be a great time of year to take a 10day trip. Kids will be back in school and less people on the roads I hope. I live in north west Indiana so I can go any direction. I have been down south-(deals gap, barber, smokes etc).. I have never been out west or south west. Any good idea. Thanks

September trip: Canyons of Utah

I can't apeak for anyone but myself, but one of my favorite rides of all time was from NE Ohio, through Arkansas, past Colorado, and down to Cedar City, Utah. I used that as a base for several solo rides into Bryce, Zion, etc.

The fall weather is upon those places in mid-late September, and the scenery is magnificent: mountains, dark green cedars, gold Aspens, good roads, and the tourists all went back to suburbia in their SUVs. There are hundreds of miles of new roads to be ridden, and no two are anything alike. Maybe take time for a horseback ride down into Bryce for a half day. Riding a motorcycle through Zion is a totally captivating 'surround' experience. There are lots of places to stop and shake off the wrinkles in your butt from the BMW seat. It's hog heaven for photographers, or do what I do, and just look, and try to nail that view in your mind. If you're a writer, inspiration abounds.

After 1 October, winter begins to threaten. Then, you have the option of riding back across the southern roads, and cutting North for one final dive into home.

Take warm gear, as well as your tennies. Mornings are chilly, brisk, and clear. It gets cold in the high altitudes, even in the afternoon. Carry and use clothing layers to stay comfortable and light weight.

Somewhere, back in the archives, there's a piece I wrote for the MOA web about this ride, and it includes some brief word sketches about my encounter.

I can close my eyes, and be right back on the road through Cedar Breaks.

[Maybe a webmaster could dig out that Cedar City Ride piece and provide a reference to it.]

This may sound silly, but why not ride in a south westerly direction and take any road that looks interesting? No itinerary. You could find all kinds of interesting things to see and roads to ride. You have ten days so five or six out and four home. If you get lost, then use a GPS to find your way. You could also use it to find the quickest way home at the end of your trip.

Big + on what Walker says! Some of my best rides have been "onawander" rides. To have the option to to do that for ten days would be a treat!

South central Missouri and down into Arkansas has great twisty roads all over the place with little or no traffic, and very few gravel shoulders on the roads, so lots of clean corners. Then you could circle back up into the Ozarks of Oklahoma, and wander back through Tennessee. Sounds like a great ride to me!

I'm with those guys; choose a direction and ride. For me, it'd be West. Less traffic, more openness, pretty scenery, and a nice flat, straight, fast ride home.

Tom

From NW Indiana how about a ride around the Great lakes. Probably limited to Michigan, Superior, Huron and the other side of Michigan if limited to10 days.

I sometimes tend to overplan some trips, and others I just wing it. I would suggest to head where the weather is pretty good, and that would be southwest. Head to the west coast, but take your time. Stay on secondary roads, and set a daily mileage limit, maybe around 4-500 miles max. Less if needed. Stop and smell the roses. Once past the Kansas/Nebraska area, New Mexico has a lot of sights to see, along with Arizona. California might be considered, but snow in the Sierra's is a strong possiblity, and if it happens, you do not want to get caught. The area around Truckee (Donner Pass) has a lot to offer, along with a suprise snow storm, so be carefull.

Had my brother and his son travel with us from Buffalo Wy for a week, and as this was their first touring trip, tried to limit the daily mileage to 250 or so. That left plenty of time for sightseeing. Chief Joseph Highway, Bear Tooth Pass, Yellowstone were all visited.

What ever, just pick a direction you have not traveled before and follow your nose. I am sure you will enjoy the ride.

If you need a destination, pick up a National Park passport and pick out some parks to visit and start collecting park stamps. It can be adidictive.

bob

Salty Fog Riders Rally in Nova Scotia for the five days following Labor Day Weekend. Maybe that would be to yer liking? - Bob

Arkansas is truly a 'hidden' gold mine of nice roads, things to see, and state parks! Highway 7 is really nice, running almost the entire state from north to south.

Thanks for the ideas, I'm looking to do 5 to 600mile day. I just won't to ride. I do need to start looking around more,stopping more to see what out there. When I get on the bike I just go. Stopping just for gas and go. Again thanks great places to think about.

Thanks for the ideas, I'm looking to do 5 to 600mile day. I just won't to ride. I do need to start looking around more,stopping more to see what out there. When I get on the bike I just go. Stopping just for gas and go. Again thanks great places to think about.

Mary and I often seem to move about too quickly when we travel. Sometimes we wonder if we've really been anywhere at all. :dunno I do note that your third sentence seems to be a thought inconsistent with the others. However, enjoy whatever you do. - Bob

500-600/day will require a LOT of main road riding and not much sight seeing.

As others have said, look at the extended forecast the morning you are leaving and head where the weather is best, and just wander around on the back roads, avoiding cities in favor of 2 horse towns, where locals own the stores, diners and motels. I have never had a bad trip with this MO. There is a lot to see off the beaten path.

That said it will cut mileage to 250-350/day for an 8-10 hour day. Mileage is overrated, it isn't the miles, it is the smiles/mile that are important.

I'm like 46211; when I go for a ride, I ride! Most of my miles are on two-lane roads which are chosen by pouring over maps each evening. I've found that I avg 50mph pretty consistently on the way out and close to 60mph on the way home.... I'm like an old horse heading for the barn!

The one attraction that'll get me to stop riding for awhile is a natural hot spring. It feels so good to soak in the warm water after a couple days in the saddle.

Tom

why not?

choose a destination area and dead-head it. then you can relax, and sight-see around as you like, doing whatever comes along. leave room for the unexpected, talk to the locals, find out where they hang out, and just ride around...
from where you are, you could get anywhere in two days of hard riding- two out, two back- leaving 6 days to just do what you want. AND, at the end of the 10 days, you won't feel so beat up, plus you'll really know where ever it is you wind up...

i personally have never been up along the northern border, say Great Lakes and West into Minnesota... i hear it is beautiful up there. check the fall rallies and pick one, maybe. just some thoughts here.

Pick a direction and GO for six days...see if you make it back on time.

One of my dream runs is to hit US 2 somewhere around the eastern starting point in Wisconsin and head west till Coeur d'Alene, ID. I understand this is a great road to travel on for bikes.

Head south on ID US 95 (or US 195) to US 12 going back over Lolo pass to MT.

From there play around till Yellowstone then head south again toward southern UT and play around working your way toward Colorado and back home.

Point is to not be on interstate roads and start planning on the evening stop in the late afternoon (till maybe the last day or so :) ).

Watch for fuel refills once out here in the west, they just might not be around every turn or intersection.

Just looked at your location, and if it were me, my first direction would be SE. into KY, WV, VA, NC, TN areas. Less than a day gets you into interesting riding areas. But keep in mind I DON"T travel interstates, and corners are a must have for me to have fun.

The west is nice but unless you are going to slab it it will burn up 1/2 of your vacation just getting there and back. Heck even slabbing it you burn 1/3 of your time.

Back