• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Lost Trail

B

BACKROAD.ADV

As I was traveling through the northwest corner of North Dakota I ran into this painted rock.

DSCN0892-L.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this Lost Trail? History, route, etc….

Thanks

IIRC The Lost Trail was intended to be an auto route to follow the return trip leg of Clark exploring the Yellowstone River. On the Corp split up at Travelers Rest on the return trip. Lewis headed north to explore, several men took a direct route on the Missouri and Clark took a southerly route that took his group across Lost Trail Pass and then on to the Yellow Stone River.

Interesting. but the location of the picture above was on SR5 near the Canadian Border close to Crosby:usa:bolt

Interesting. but the location of the picture above was on SR5 near the Canadian Border close to Crosby:usa:bolt

Agree that this would not be associated with the Lewis and Clark return leg. Then you most likely came upon a marker associated with the post Little Big Horn battle, at least that would be my next possibility to research. Some of the Lakota went north into Saskatchewan. They returned after having difficulties establishing themselves and returned in 1881 (IIRC) surrendering to troops from Fort Buford. This may be a maker in the general vicinity of where they either crossed the border or surrendered. Do some searches on Hunkpapa Sioux and Sitting Bull; you may find an answer.

Agree that this would not be associated with the Lewis and Clark return leg. Then you most likely came upon a marker associated with the post Little Big Horn battle, at least that would be my next possibility to research. Some of the Lakota went north into Saskatchewan. They returned after having difficulties establishing themselves and returned in 1881 (IIRC) surrendering to troops from Fort Buford. This may be a maker in the general vicinity of where they either crossed the border or surrendered. Do some searches on Hunkpapa Sioux and Sitting Bull; you may find an answer.

Thanks for the information.

Back