• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorcycle Magazine

osbornk

Old man in the mountains
I purchased a subscription to Sandy Cohen's magazine at the MOA Rally in Bloomsburg last summer. It only publishes quarterly so I tend to forget about it. I got my latest copy last week (wrapped in plastic with my 3rd. BMW catalog). It was an interesting read with almost no overlap with either the ON or OTL. The magazine is well done with all the pages slick, shiny and colorful. I read about and saw pictures of both the Concept E electric scooter and the Water-Cooled GS boxer. I learned that Billy Joel is a motorcycle fanatic and collectorin addition to a lot of other information and excellent pictures

There is an iPad app for the magazine that apparently works very well.

I think many MOA members and other BMW motorcycle fans would enjoy the magazine. It doesn't compete with the ON but instead, it provides additional information. No single magazine can provide all of the information we want.

http://bmwmcmag.com/

As you'll note if you peruse opportunities to buy back issues, this magazine originally started out with a different publisher and in Germany. I had a subscription and got issues #1 and #2 in 2007 and 2008 and then never heard from them again. It was then issued just twice a year. Recently reread and found the current situation and have subscribed again. It's good stuff, for sure.

I did it for a year(starting in summer 2010) & felt the lean was toward German guys building cafe/hotrod airheads. There were some neat ones in there but not enough breadth to hold my interest . What it had was very well presented.

As you'll note if you peruse opportunities to buy back issues, this magazine originally started out with a different publisher and in Germany. I had a subscription and got issues #1 and #2 in 2007 and 2008 and then never heard from them again. It was then issued just twice a year. Recently reread and found the current situation and have subscribed again. It's good stuff, for sure.

True, I started with issue 1 in 07. tuff to deal with them back then, much better now since Sandy took over.

For those with iPads, it is a great app, and can add content not in the paper magazine. I think publishing is eventually going totally electronic, so a good many of my paper subscriptions are getting converted to electronic as they get their acts together.

For those with iPads, it is a great app, and can add content not in the paper magazine. I think publishing is eventually going totally electronic, so a good many of my paper subscriptions are getting converted to electronic as they get their acts together.

Ted,

For a variety of reasons, I doubt that print media will ever go completely away. A lot of people like holding something in their hands while they read it. It is a different experience between reading paper and reading on line (even the Kindle e-paper is not the same a real paper and holding the book because there is no light and shadow on the e-page). Even though we in the US think that everyone in the world is connected and has access to the web, that is not the case. There may be e versions only of some publications as the seller has to know their market but I most likely will be dead before the ON is only offered electronically.

But I've been wrong before. :D

Last edited:

This magazine is published, and the bulk of its content is created in Germany by MO Meiden Verlag. The fancy German content is wrapped by some local information created primarly from relevant BMW press releases, then printed locally.

For instance: Here is the BMW Motorcycle Magazine in South Africa site.

You can buy back issues of the original German content here.

Ian

The trouble with all the current technology is comprehension. We need to move forward to chip implantations where one could have access of a entire library all on size of a piece of rice. Depending on the subject matter and costs vendors could buy in to track our activities to consumer goods spending habits. Magazine are just opinions we need facts and ways to collect true data in real time. I am itching for a Clymer and the BMW chip could remind me when its time for more Koolaid.

:bow

For an great example of electronic publishing, Divers Alert Network (DAN) has recently started the web version of our print magazine, Alert Diver. It adds content not available in print (video etc), and supplements our printed version. Our publisher, Stephen Frink, and his staff are doing an outstanding job with both publications.

Check out the latest edition here:

http://d35gjurzz1vdcl.cloudfront.net/Fall_2011_flipbook/AlertDiver_Fall_2011_web/index.html

Main site is here if you are interested in what we do:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

\I am itching for a Clymer and the BMW chip could remind me when its time for more Koolaid.

:bow

You really want Windows in your brain ??? Suddenly you would be looking like a pirate and riding something that doesn't corner very well... :whistle

For an great example of electronic publishing, Divers Alert Network (DAN) has recently started the web version of our print magazine, Alert Diver. It adds content not available in print (video etc), and supplements our printed version. Our publisher, Stephen Frink, and his staff are doing an outstanding job with both publications.

Check out the latest edition here:

http://d35gjurzz1vdcl.cloudfront.net/Fall_2011_flipbook/AlertDiver_Fall_2011_web/index.html

Main site is here if you are interested in what we do:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

Really nice. I just a larger monitor with my old eyes.

Ted,

For a variety of reasons, I doubt that print media will ever go completely away. A lot of people like holding something in their hands while they read it. It is a different experience between reading paper and reading on line (even the Kindle e-paper is not the same a real paper and holding the book because there is no light and shadow on the e-page). Even though we in the US think that everyone in the world is connected and has access to the web, that is not the case. There may be e versions only of some publications as the seller has to know their market but I most likely will be dead before the ON is only offered electronically.

But I've been wrong before. :D

I'd have to agree with you, Bud. Many times, I enjoy heading off to my local coffee shop to curl up in the corner with the ON or the USA TODAY. And no - I shouldn't have to invest in a lap top or 'kindle' to do that.

I do not stand in the way of electronic progress, nor do I always cheerfully or blindly embrace it either.

As for the BMW Magazine, I am actually one of their subscribers - for now.

However, of late, I'm bored with the content - too much emphasis on customizing Beemers to the point of almost making them 'choppers.'

My subscriptions to ON, Rider and Road Runner have more relative content as to why I ride a motorcycle.

To each their own. :bikes

That was my point too, too of the much German hotrod/chopper articles. Perhaps there's only so much to be said about each marque? It's hard to satisfy us all, but I left the RA mag based on too much racing. That was of interest to me at one point in my life & pretty much, not at all , these days. I do agree that it just doesn't appeal to me to "curl up in the corner" with yet another screen staring at me. Just watched(not my choice either) a youtube ad for Hundyia that the main feature of the car seemed to be "the screen" and the tech crap that was offered. Pardon me, but what about those parts of car that crank my crank?:scratch:blah:scratch Magazines have become guilty of the same in large part as they cater to the advertisers.

The German hot rods/customs are the reason I subscribe, you can't get that in any other magazine for bmws right now. I originally bought the German version of the magazine, but the American version does a good job with independent articles and translating the German ones. I like the insight into new models and general bmw company news too. Meanwhile the BMW ON does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever, different strokes for different folks

The day this magazine becomes another gs/Tourer magazine is the day I unsubscribe. If it weren't for this amazing forum, I probably wouldn't still be in the moa

Magazine

I also get the magazine. I look forward to it every other month. Nicley done and well written articles. I highly recommend it to all BMW riders!

Dennis
2009 R1200RT

Got my first copy a couple weeks ago. Have'nt had much chance to read yet but looks interesting. I won the 1 yr sub. last spring at a tech day.

Back