Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Introducing MotoSafe

New MotoSafe

MotoSafe: Braking Part II: Read more about the skill and science of proficient motorcycle brake use: www.moto-safe.com
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

This Months MotoSafe Column ...

Starting this month the MotoSafe Editors will post the current months MotoSafe Column for your comments.
    CoyoteBMW
    53 years of BMW's - 1960 R26 and 2007 F800ST!

Here is the June 2013 MotoSafe Column

So here is a link to the June 2013 MotoSafe Column:

http://bmwmoa.org/portals/0/rpu/imag...e/June2013.pdf

Check it out, comment on it, share your ideas.
    CoyoteBMW

July 2013 MotoSafe Column on "Why Take More Training?"

Here it is the July MotoSafe Column. You are welcome to comment on it and give us your input on the topic.
    http://bmwmoa.org//portals/0/rpu/ima...e/July2013.pdf

Enjoy!

Tom Pemberton
    MotoSafe Co-Editor
    CoyoteBMW

The August 2013 MotoSafe Column

Here is a link to the August 2013 MotoSafe column on Animals http://bmwmoa.org/portals/0/rpu/imag...august2013.pdf
    CoyoteBMW

Quote Originally Posted by coyotebmw View Post
    Here is a link to the August 2013 MotoSafe column on Animals http://bmwmoa.org/portals/0/rpu/imag...august2013.pdf
    This is just a few comments about the deer collision problem:
    1. Good advice about slowing down when you see the deer signs. More to the point, look to see how far you can see to the sides of the road and the depth of the ditches. When the clearings widen out, you can increase your speed. When low ditches or trees come almost to the road, better decrease it.
    2. I brake hard when I see deer on or along the road, am prepared to come to a stop from a low speed, but seldom do. This is a good indication to cut your speed and up your vigilance, as there are likely more up the road.
    3. DO NOT maintain speed and swerve around a deer standing on the road. They can direction faster than you on the bike. A swerve may work for an un-seen deer dashing across the road just ahead of you, if you have that skill down so you don't roll off the throttle.
    4. The advice to not ride at dawn or dusk has some value. Don't ride at night either unless you have some serious extra lighting on the bike, and you still need to slow down.
    5. The MC/deer collisions I've heard about from local club members have been mid-day and often the deer ran into the bike. While a lower speed probably means lesser injuries, a greater speed might have meant the deer just cleared the rear fender. (A few years ago another friend witnessed just that - a deer darted across the road just behind another friend who was travelling a bit over the legal speed limit.) This is just an observation ; not a plan to avoid collisions with deer.

I think the above summarizes the current knowledge on avoiding hitting a deer with your bike. And all we have are some tips to increase our odds. A serious problem with no solution in sight.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

How does this work? All I get is this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

You need to be logged in First.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    How does this work? All I get is this:
    Doug, I think the page requires you to be logged in first to reply to posts. The link to the article should work, without requiring a log in first. If the problem persists I will contact the Web Master for BMW MOA's web site and see if we can correct the problem.

Tom Pemberton
    Rider Education Coordinator
    CoyoteBMW

Tom Durrant

Heavy multilane traffic

I've been riding over forty years and I've never seen this mentioned. Usually, when I get into heavy fast dense traffic, I park myself well behind a big truck that's keeping up with everyone. I end up with four or five seconds free space. Drivers pull in but for the most part, they don't stay and I get my space back. I also hardly ever get cut off because there's all this room in front of me for them to change lanes. Years and years go by without any close calls or having to slam on brakes.
    Last close call was my fault. (~5 years ago) A bit of road rage. Old man pulled out right in front of me on highway and didn't speed up at all. Really irritated, I chose to pass him and of course he turned left into the next farm driveway right beside me. Scared the living daylights out of my wife on her bike as she thought I was about to be killed and also be involved herself. The only upside to that incident was that she finally started to learn to actually handle her bike instead of just riding it. Regards, Tom Durrant

Sorry for the Delay in responding, I've been in Europe.

Tom, you make some good points here. First, I also find big trucks can be a motorcyclists best friend. I am very respectful of them and try and show them respect and consideration at all times. I find they will help you in return. The biggest problem with the big trucks is other vehicles that are clueless as to their limitations. I often talk to my BRC classes about their limitations and blind spots, but also make a point of how if you keep them aware you are there, they can be helpful in protecting you. I like your concept of using them in heavy traffic as a buffer.

On the incident with the old farmer, that is one of the traps that TEAM OREGON talks about. I find the best solution is take your time, don't become impatient, and give them space. I wait until it is safe to pass, i.e., clear road, no turns possible, etc. then get around them.

Tom Pemberton
    BMW MOA Rider Education Coordinator
    CoyoteBMW

New MotoSafe Article for December "Team Oregon?s Advanced Rider Training"

Just posted the latest article from the monthly MotoSafe Column. How many of you have taking this course, and what did you think of it?
    CoyoteBMW

So what do you think about the Licensing article?

Just posted the latest MotoSafe column on the differences between the US and Europe on licensing to ride a motorcycle. What do you think, what are your thoughts.
    CoyoteBMW