• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shipping a R100rs

rsbeemer
Could one of you rs riders please tell me some dimensions of a 1978 r100rs? I am buying one and will have to have it shipped. One shipping company said they have a container they can put it in and fly it in. The container is 61" long 44" wide and 44" tall and that is inside measurements. Cost for shipping ($898.) I used to have an RS but I don't remember the sizes. I could have the faring shield taken off and of course the bags but still not sure it will work. The gentleman I'm buying it from said it was 91" long. That seems awful long to me but maybe it is. And 50" tall with faring shield off. If someone would confirm that I would appreciate it. Also, I'm having the bike shipped from Portland, Or. to New Braunfels, Tx. Does anyone know a good shipper that they could recommend? The other alternative is to fly there and ride it back but I'm from South Texas and I'm old and allergic to cold, especially the Portland, Or. kind. Ok, I'm a wuss:blush

Thanks Guys

From the info I have seen here, the shipping container is not big enough. So, I will check out some of the other places you recommended like U-ship, etc. Thanks again for your time. DW:thumb

maybe the current owner can go to a bmw dealer and buy one of their shipping crates that new bikes come in.

but at $898 and the bike is here in the states, you can fly in and ride it home that cheap,

if near enough even rent a u haul type van and bring it home yourself, around here one of the companies is like 28 a day, plus fuel and miles
you might even find somone who will do it for you , for a price and maybe still be under that 898

I just used USHIP for a delivery from GA to NY

and it my baby came home in perfect condition, and without incident. For about 1/2 of what you are talking.....

as an aside, the driver did tell me that a lot of the delivery guys are take the rest of Dec. off for the holidays.

YMMV

shop-it

Uship you'll get bids. Best I've had from them was a fella with a 5th wheel trailer.
Easy load, backed right up my narrow and steep driveway. Cost was about $450 for a R100GSPD loaded down.

I recently shipped an RS to MI from CA. Buyer chose to go with HaulBikes. A huge 18 wheeler, forget the driveway, "We don't do dirt". Easy enough at 4AM, but delayed a week and cost the buyer in excess of $600...

Shop around, U-ship has references and reviews. Bike dimensions shouldn't be an issue (unless maybe it's a AA dragbike!).

RSramp2.jpg

Wow! such nice offers..

Thanks again. I have since gotten in touch with Allied van lines; they have a special bike shipping dept. I can get it shipped from his door in Portland, Or. to me in Texas for about $600. That is less than I can fly there for and then ride it home, all things considered. So, that is what I will do. I appreciate all the info. I did check some of the others and this was either the cheapest or the others did not get back to me. Can't wait to get my new ride; you all know the feeling.:bikes

thanks again, DW

Back