• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Top Engine Cover

dennypink

DennyPink
I recently bought a new to me 1992 R100RT and sometime in it's past, the gas cellanoid (sp?) stuff had been removed from under the top engine cover, leaving 11 holes. My question is, will all the open space cause problems with water getting into the starter and front of the engine?

I checked several sources and new covers are sold with the holes, part # 11-14-1-337-481. If you like me, didn't like the holes, what have you done? Thanks!

Denny Pink
Cold Colorado

I have a 88 r100rt and a 88 r100rs. I took all that stuff off and I hve never had a problem. 1980 to 84 is a full cover with no holes. My 78 R100 cafe bike has no cover at all.

So "42611" you have had no problems with water/dirt getting through all the holes and affecting the starter or electrical connections?
Denny Pink

denny, durt and rain will get in there any way because the top is open for air . as far as water, the heat from the engine will disaipate the water. the 88 r100rt has o most 45000miles and never had a problem

Thank you "KST00 amd 46211." I won't worry about dirt and water, and in the mean time I will look for an 81 to 84 cover. Can't beat the experience and knowledge of this forum!
Denny Pink

Motobins is good place for used parts.

Buying from them means you'll get the "euro" top engine cover, which won't have the notches for the vacuum line crossover hose.

I never purchased one from them, but did purchase three airbox bottom parts, the "euro" version having no holes for the air injection system--much cooler than rubber plugs.

Denny,
You might want to check with Ray's Cycle or Barry M. in town. Both are likely to have used parts available (Barry probably more so). Maybe even Steve at Beemers & More. Send me a pm if you need Barry's phone #.

The fuel solenoid system was removed from my RT when I got it. When I changed out the fuel lines, I took the cover to Lowes and got several metal plugs of varying sizes. Installed them and repainted the cover rattle-can black and when it dried cleaned off the BMW on the side. Looks great, and no extra water or dirt gets in.

Back