• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Orange County, CA

montauk

I live in Irvine, and like to go on some rides here, anyone out there? I have ridden solo on Santiago Canyon, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Nigel, Newport beach and PCH, etc. just the surroundings. Averaging 50 mile rides.

My next long day trip would be to go to Palm Springs not using the highway but through the twistie. For that I am planning to get a HD Video camera. I heard Ortega Hwy is good, so that would be on my list as well.

Ortega is a nice ride if the timing is correct. It's a tough ride on the weekends, to be avoided imho.

The mrs. & I recently did the Palm Springs route you are referring to. We left Palm Desert to hwy 74(palms to pines hwy)and took it west all the way to I-5, then north to home. It was a weekday and was a great ride until you navigate through Hemet/Winchester area-traffic:banghead.

There are many nice day loops out of O.C. that are wonderful. Our local mountains(Big Bear etc)if timed correctly are very nice. Joshua Tree N.P. is a ride i've always enjoyed.

The area I seem to radiate to the most for day rides or overnighters is NE San Diego County. Hwy 79 out of Temecula, Lake Henshaw, Julian, Mt. Palomar, down into Borrego Springs, and around the Anza-Borrego State Park area:thumb:thumb. On dry winter days, it's tough to beat this area being that it is so close to O.C.

Of course these rides are a bit longer than 50 miles, but with an early start they are very easily done.

Did you find anyone or any groups to ride with in OC?

I live 1 mile north of the Ortega and ride to work in Lake Forest most days, however it's a bit HOT this week.

Check out the BMW clubs in So Calif. There is plenty of knowledge available re the California roads.

I know the San Diego club has a sunday ride following breakfast (almost every sunday) along with other rides scheduled through the month. Most all in San Diego county. Many great roads to choose from.

Check out the Southern California Motorcycle Association (SCMA). Been around many years ahd have monthly rides that will provide you many great Calif roads.

They also conduct the Three Flags Classic, the Four Corners Tour, California Parks Tour, California Mission Tour, along with a few others. All of these will get you familiar with California roads.

Have fun and enjoy.

bob

Did you find anyone or any groups to ride with in OC?

I live 1 mile north of the Ortega and ride to work in Lake Forest most days, however it's a bit HOT this week.

Thanks for asking. Yes I did find one, called South Coast BMW Riders Club. I found them to be quite active in day/overnight rides within SoCal. Everyone is very friendly and helpfull.

There are few GS & GSA riders in the group. I am the only cruiser rider there.

There is an upcoming ride to San Francisco through Santa Cruz Mountains - Sept 28, 29, & 30. Next in October there is one riding through Northern Arizona. But there is one upcoming day-ride on September 9th riding through Angeles National Forest.

I'll be riding on all above listed 3 rides. I invite you to tag along.

Back