• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Favorite beemer

I've been searching for the answer to this question my whole life. I have a fair collection, and I've considered all ages, nationalities, makes, models and styles. (Yes, even American, but they fell off the radar years ago) I finally whittled the field down to a few, and I can attest to the fact that the British and Italians have made a strong showing. BSA's, Triumphs, Guzzi's and Ducati's all have their strengths and can provide intense enjoyment in their specific areas. But none have really reached that level of "The Absolute Best Bike in the World".

Only a Beemer could do that. And not just any Beemer. I regularly ride a wide range of BMW's, from /2's to oil heads, but there is only one that I would keep if I had to sell all the others:

bmw2.jpg

Nothing else even comes close!!

I submit that here's something that comes close; might I say even a bit better...

Attachments

• IMG_0243 (2) (640x412).jpg
    IMG_0243 (2) (640x412).jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 399
favorite Beemer...?
had an 88 R100RT which never really sparked any love...
i love my 93 R100RS. tho i also love my 88 K100(RS). tho i do love 'em both,
the airhead has more *personality* than the K, i'd choose it as the fave-
hands down, no contest.

i submit:

CopyofP1010453.jpg

I have had bigger faster and more expensive bikes
but for a fav bike
Im gonna have to go with my current ride, an 85 R80RT that is not quite stock
just wish it got better mpg

I love my 77 R 75....smooth as silk...but I have to say that my favorite is my 100 RT (1980). And I am getting happier as I lighten it up....I think I will end up with a 100/7 with a windshield when all is said and done..

My favorite is my current ride: 1995 R1100RSL.

IMG_1126_1.jpg

Second favorite would be the one I most regret selling: 1983 R65.

Last edited:
My R1200GS is a great motorcycle and probably the best motorcycle I've owned. As far as my favorite? It's between my old 1991 R100GS (pictured) and the 1993 R100R I currently own. I guess I'll give the nod to the R100GS as the most fun and versatile.

1991BMWR100GS.jpg

My R1200GS is a great motorcycle and probably the best motorcycle I've owned. As far as my favorite? It's between my old 1991 R100GS (pictured) and the 1993 R100R I currently own. I guess I'll give the nod to the R100GS as the most fun and versatile.

very nice :eat

I like to LOOK at my 1150 Adventure & Boxer Cup Replika (& also the R100RS, but I have never owned one)

To ride? the 1200 Adventure, is an ugly beast, but she does all the right things.

I could easily apply this analogy to women, but it would get way too graphic for this crowd.

I've had five. Two RTs, one F650 GS, one '81 R 100, one new R 1200GS. I still have the R 100 and the 1200 GS and the favorite hands down is the 1200 GS. The 650 GS was top runner 'till I got the 1200 GS.

Favorite Beemer

As has been noted, it's a tough call. Personally, if I were to be asked that question while riding, the answer would in all probability be "The one I'm now riding." But sitting before the keyboard, I would have to say it's my 1988 R100GS. That has been the most versatile, trouble-free bike I have ever owned. It does everything I've ever asked quite well. After owning the bike since new, I still am surprised how well that tiny fairing works on tours. And the bike is something of a burro or even an ox. One year it carried my wife and I plus all our camping gear all over the west for one month! My Bumble Bee is simply an amazing motorcycle! :)

Favorite ?

Favorite is so subjective. Like asking a parent which child they prefer.

The pleasures that I derive from riding and admiring both my BMW's do not permit me to chose one over the other. They each have their own charms and convey a certain je ne sais quoi quality about them.

I agree somewhat with the quote from Johnny. But............In order of the BMW's I have owned..........

r75/5 most reliable.......... purchased in the early '70's

1974 r90s most fun and coolest.....purchased in the late '70's

1980 R100rs Euro Md owned for 30 years most enjoyable to ride touring but burned in 2010............purchased in 1980

1987 K75s smoothest ever owned but did not care for the hi reving engine....purchased in 2010

2004 R1150rs fastest ever owned but least enjoyable, too much technology.....purchased in 2010

1978 R100rs that I have just purchased this past Dec. 2011

I liked and enjoyed them all but my favorite touring bike would have to be the R100rs. It has very good wind protection, easy to work on, enough power for me when I was young and still now that I'm old. In my humble opinion it is the most beautiful BMW ever produced by far.

Had an 02 K12RS, beautiful, fast, smooooooth. After 30K miles, sold it and bought an 02 R1150RT (silver), protection, comfort, personality. Is now for sale with 62K miles on it. Have to make room for my new acquisition and favorite BMW, an 02 1150RT (black) with only 8K miles!!!! A perfect all around bike and is so much better looking than the 1200 RT's.

Ride well and be safe.

Back