• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Favorite beemer

marchyman

Cam Killer
Many (most?) of the members of the forum have been riding quite a while and have owned (an dmay still own) many beemers. So which beemers are your favorite?

I find that my stated favorite bike changes from day to day. Sometimes it's my current hexhead GS. Other times it was my R80RT. The K11LT might sneak into the top spot once in a while, too. My perennial number two on the list is my R69S. I don't think it has ever made it to the top, though. On the other hand my least favorite is the K12LT. It is the only bike that ever gave me buyers remorse... about 18 months after buying it. It's been my least favorite since then.

Today the R12GS is number 1. Tomorrow? :dunno What's your favorite?

In order

1961 R69S. Absolutely the most comfortable ride ever
1996 R1100RT. Most protection from the elements
1973 R75/5. Prettiest of them all
1981 R100RT. Fast and comfortable

I never had any major problems with any of them and put more than 200,000 miles on them all except the 1996 RT. It now has 130,000 on it and still going strong.

My first BMW, my 78, R-80. The BMW bug bit me hard at 23 years of age, and I still have not found a cure. Sadly she was
taken from me by a DWI driver.

'04 R1150R.

I like it's looks. I've owned 2 other Beemers (K1100RS and R1100RT) both were liked but not as much as the 1150. It is comfortable, easy to work on (very limited plastic) and handles lightly and smoothly.

For those that don't want or need maximum element protection, it is a wonderful long distance tourer, and off road, it goes where I tell it to.

If I'm going to have just one, this machine has my heart.

John

The short answer is, whichever one I'm on right now. Like Marco, it changes.

But because I'm signed up to ride in next September's Motorcycle Cannonball on my 1928 R52, that one had better become my favorite, because -- on a 3800 mile ride from NY to SF -- I'm going to be spending a lot of time on it! :)

Attachments

• downshift.jpg
    downshift.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 879
Compared to Y'all I'm a brand new shiny BMW owner. I bought my first a year ago April, a wonderful 94 R1100RS. I put 14000 miles on it until December when I bought an 04 R1150RT which fit me a lot better. I've put about 18000 on that so far, would have been a lot more but my wife took ill and I have to drive her everywhere she goes for the time being. The 94 was sold last month and a new seat is soon to be ordered for the RT. I think this will increase my enjoyment (hard to imagine butt at least I won't be thinking about the seat all the time). So the RT is my favorite. It only has about 57000 miles on it and I'm looking forward to the next 100000 miles.

Boxer Rebellion?!?! So you're riding a Chang Jiang 750?

Just kidding Darryl ... . kick their a**!

Boxer Rebellion?!?! So you're riding a Chang Jiang 750?

I wish it were a 750. That CJ probably makes twice the 12 HP that my little 500 does. But then, it wouldn't qualify, as the bike has to have been built before 1930.

Just kidding Darryl ... . kick their a**!

Thanks! Paul Glaves is my travelling mechanic, so I hope to do well on that basis alone!

No question, for me it was our 1985 R80RT. Colorado Red , my wife surprised me by buying it for us one night at a dealer in Howell , MI.

It took us everywhere for several years. Sadly we sold it to a guy when we went to Poland on a consulting assignment. The deal was he would sell it back to us when we came home . He did not live up to his end of the agreement and i searched for years to find a good replacement. Never found one that even came close to the quality level i kept that bike at.:brow

Until this year.:wow

My current BMW is a 1985 R80, ( not an RT , but a sweetheart all the same)
hmm, I think i see a trend here.

Wow, that is a really difficult question

I really liked my '93 K75S. But it wasn't my favorite

I LOVED my '95 R100GSPD, but it too often required maintenance.

My R1150RT is a great bike. Might be the nicest for touring.

But my R1100GS is growing on my me by the day.....

all the motorcycle i ever needed

traded it in on my r12r which i lke a lot but am not emotionally involved with.

R80b.jpg

Perfect Fit

I've only had 2 beemers, '77 R75 and my '83 RS. The RS is my favorite and the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, with the 3/4 seat. Fits me like a glove.

A few:)

My R100/7 "still with me" at a third of a million miles+. R80GS'82 I owned was way cool(I miss it), my current '07GSA1200 is nearly automatic in looks and everyday use, never failing me and my KLR650'08 has got to be added, a fun touring ride everywhere it goes. They are like ANTS, everywhere I go. Kaw must have sold millions of'em:). They take too big a beating in off brand remarks and are user friendly, too many ways to list. We love it too:). Randy

Over the last several years, I've ridden a bunch of different bikes of all makes. My favourite of all of them is the R1200S.

But if cost were no object, I would get an R1200ST and have an HP2 Sport engine and control unit installed.

Last edited:
Wow I need think about this....... 1961 R69s is awesome ride,1965,1967,1969 r60/2 are fun also, 1980 R100s is a great bike I have, 1982,1988 R100rt great in cold weather,1988 R100rs awesome ride, 1991 k100rs is nice, 2002 k1200rs gets me to the rally fast lol...... The best bike I have is a 1960 R100s convertion Im built out of parts from 1960 to 1977 bike is 95% done, hope to be done by April.

As the herd is thinned here, one bike will remain standing... the GS Adventure. It has delivered more grins, from rides short and far, with more memories, than any other.

r1200gsadvstunner_tm.jpg

Back