• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Favorite beemer

Favorite is so subjective. Like asking a parent which child they prefer.

The pleasures that I derive from riding and admiring both my BMW's do not permit me to chose one over the other. They each have their own charms and convey a certain je ne sais quoi quality about them.

Johnny, are you a politician, by chance?

On purely sentimental grounds, my RS would win
246883643_2ZbnX-M.jpg

Based on the bike I like riding the most and the one that has treated me the best, my current scoot, my second S wins
i-CTgRrt5-M.jpg

R80ST forever, for me

For me its my 1983 R80ST. Often touted as the best handling bike BMW ever made, this one got even better.
Everything anyone has complained about in print with R80ST's has been corrected on my bike. R80ST's have flippy front forks? Fine, R100GS forks installed, with progressive wound springs. The OEM shock is awful? Fine, installed a Wilbers, set up for my weight. The battery is too small? OK, R100GS battery installed. Brakes are very inadequate on the R80ST? Fine, dual caliper Brembo disc's installed that stop this baby on a dime ("...and give you 9 cents change," as Bill Cosby said long ago). Tube tires are a headache to change? OK, tubeless Excel rims done by Woody's solved that issue.
Top it off with bead bleasting the motor and powder coating the black until it is so clean you can eat off of it, and I have my perfect bike.

For me its my 1983 R80ST. Often touted as the best handling bike BMW ever made, this one got even better.
Everything anyone has complained about in print with R80ST's has been corrected on my bike. R80ST's have flippy front forks? Fine, R100GS forks installed, with progressive wound springs. The OEM shock is awful? Fine, installed a Wilbers, set up for my weight. The battery is too small? OK, R100GS battery installed. Brakes are very inadequate on the R80ST? Fine, dual caliper Brembo disc's installed that stop this baby on a dime ("...and give you 9 cents change," as Bill Cosby said long ago). Tube tires are a headache to change? OK, tubeless Excel rims done by Woody's solved that issue.
Top it off with bead bleasting the motor and powder coating the black until it is so clean you can eat off of it, and I have my perfect bike.

That is a sweet bike. I'd love to have one like it. I found a photo of it over on the airheads forum. Got anything more recent, or is it pretty much up to date?

I'll post some pics

That is indeed a pic of my baby, taken before she came to Colorado. I'll post some current pic's in a day or so.

Current Pics of my 1983 R80ST

Here are current pics of my 1983 R80ST. Click on the photo for 9 pics. You can also blow them up with a click if you want to look closely at this baby.

I'm curious Dakar ... what does the code look like for "linking" your image to the album?

I was thinking...

[url =
] -insert album url- [/url]

but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm curious Dakar ... what does the code look like for "linking" your image to the album?

I was thinking...

[url =
] -insert album url- [/url]

but it doesn't seem to work.

You're close. Do it like this:

[ URL="-insert album url-"]
[/URL]

Here are current pics of my 1983 R80ST. Click on the photo for 9 pics. You can also blow them up with a click if you want to look closely at this baby.

Thanks for posting those. What a nice bike. I hope to pick one up someday.

I uploaded my pics to my Smugmug account as an album, copied the embeddable link they provide, pasted that into my post, and voila. Their url code doesn't look like Marks or yours, Lmo1131.

Mark M, I can tell by your comments that you are a man of refined taste.

My apologies Dakar ... I should have prefaced my question with a compliment. A sweetie indeed.

Your code worked perfectly Mark. Vielen Dank!

My favorite Beemer has not been made yet, a new R1200R with a dedicated side car both with retro styling. And who knows with the BMW management shakeup it may turn up sooner than expected.

And if it doesn't turn up, even better. It'll be a good excuse to take a trip to Seattle and visit Ridewest and Liberty Sidecars.

E :german

As far as BMW goes?...toss up between an 84 CS I once had, and the [then new] 99RS I traded it in on . Had a Cruiser..hated it....shhh! don't tell the Chromeheads...[but it just killed my back] Hoping I'll come to LUV the 1150R I have now. Still [adjusting it]:scratch

That said, I've had and have some non-BMWs that i like as well. Guess I'm not a brand slave?....I like em all:dunno

Back