• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Blueridge Parkway 2012

OsbornK...nice signature line...23 degrees in my part of the "north" this morning...what's not to love?:banghead

a few weeks ago there was a post about a riding seminar on the blue ridge. A lady who was a former racer was the host.... Anyone know where that post went or any details about the rider seminar? thanks

About five miles north of Hwy 276 in NC (about 60 miles out of Cherokee) you will come across NC state highway 151. It only runs to the north of the BRP. It is steeper and twistier than the dragon. Ride it down, then turn around and ride it back. It's about 4 or 5 miles. I ran into it two years ago when there was a detour on the parkway. Now it's a must ride for me when I'm in the area.

Joel

a few weeks ago there was a post about a riding seminar on the blue ridge. A lady who was a former racer was the host.... Anyone know where that post went or any details about the rider seminar? thanks

I don't know about the upcoming seminar, but this is the lady you are probably speaking of. I saw a seminar by her a couple of years ago at the Klassic K Kampout just of the parkway, it was interesting. She did mention her motorcycles and indicated that she still rode quite a bit.

P1030529cr.jpg

My father-in-law asked me yesterday what I was going to do on this trip. I felt like we were speaking different languages.

"So I hear your riding down south. Where ya goling?"

"We're going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from end to end"

"Yeah, but what are you going to do down there?"

"We're going to ride our motorcycles the length of the parkway...Shenandoah National Park to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park"

"OK, but where are you going to?"

"Ummm...we're riding"

"Sure, but you must be going somewhere...what are you going to see?"

"We're going to see the scenery"

"You don't have a destination?!"

"Yeah, the parkway is the destination"

"No...you're not understanding the question...where are you going to on this trip?"

"Ummm...we're going to The Tail of the Dragon"

"Oh..OK...sure...what's that? An amusement park?"

"No...it's a road"

"What?"

And off we go again. He just doesn't get it at all. He can't conceive that I'm riding for the sake of riding. I must surely have a destination...a park...a bar...a museum...a drunken Rally...something other than riding.

The sad part is that he's got two motorcycles...

Mt Mitchell

Try to camp in the Mt Mitchell State Park if at all possible! There are only few campsites there and they fill up fast but a night on the mountain is beautiful because the sites are way up high in elevation. I believe the restaurant in the lodge is open for lunch and dinner.

Be sure to put any food in a duffel bag and hang it on a hook in the rest room building. Bears wander through all of the BRP campgrounds and this one is no different.

I just checked the park website and see that they now have the ability to reserve a site ahead of time. The last time I stayed there it was first come first served and I had to arrive before noon to get a camp site. Here is the NC State Parks reservation number:1-877-7-CAMP-NC (722-6762).

Have fun, I have done the BRP end to end several times and hope to do it again in August on my way to the Boone Rally.

Mark

Months of planning...days of packing...6K Service for the GSA...took the kids out for ice cream tonight...mowed the lawn...I'm ready to go. Tomorrow morning I head south to Front Royal and then on to the Skyline / BRP. I can hardly wait! Probably won't even sleep. More to follow as I get some miles under my tires. Thank you all for your inputs and recommendations. I hope to hit a lot of them.

Back