Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Blueridge Parkway 2012

Check out http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/. That is if you like to camp.
    2013 Goldwing

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter trash View Post
    It is $10.00 for motorcycles, 105 miles long, 35 mph speed limit and we prefer it to Route 81 with it's tractor trailers doing 70 to 80 mph. But that is just the way we roll.
    I have a daughter who lives in Norfolk and we sometimes avoid the interstates if we're not in a great rush. If you're heading to Western Virginia, Western North Carolina or East Tennessee and you don't want to fight I-64 & I-81, Rt 58 or Rt 460 are both an excellent alternate route for a nice peaceful ride through the peanut and cotton fields on your end and the mountains on my end. The speed limits range from 55 to 70 MPH.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

HONDARIDER
    I appreciate the feedback so far...especially the places to see, eat, and stay...I'm taking lots of notes,

HONDARIDER
    OK...looks like my riding partner is in and we've locked down 20June as our departure date. My goal is to to leave Massachusetts early and make it to Front Royal on the first day...or somewhere close to the start of the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah N.P.

Anybody with a recommendation for a nice place to stay in that area? I don't think we're going to camp as I'm expecting a late arrival after 500 miles or so.

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar
    Route 66 and Route 522/340 Exit 6 there is a Hampton Inn. Across 66 there is a Cracker Barrel, Applebee’s, Subway, Starbuck’s, TGI Friday’s, Ledo Pizza, Target and Walmart. Stay on 340 and it will take you right to the Skyline Drive.
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

HONDARIDER
    I do like Cracker Barrel

Big Meadows

The first night in Shenandoah National Park on the BRP I stayed at Big Meadows Campground and Lodge about 50 miles from Front Royal I believe. I camped, but they have a huge lodge with a restaurant and great facilities for a price. It was a great place to camp, very quiet, great showers and easy to get ice and an onsite laundry room, etc. One of the things that was very cool about Big Meadows Campground is that there were deer all over the place and they didn't seem too freaked out by the presence of people. I was sitting at the picnic table of my camp site drinking my morning coffee and a big buck walked right into my camp site and stood probably 25-30 feet away from me for about 5 minutes......he was magnificent. Naturally when I moved to reach for my camera, he left immediately. Have a great trip. Don

If your bikes run into a mechanical problem, there is an independent BMW shop in Charlottesville, VA, about 1/2 hour from the northern terminus of the BRB and the southern terminus of the Skyline.

The guy who owns it writes tech articles for the RA.

http://www.largiader.com/shop/

HONDARIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by 39520 View Post
    If your bikes run into a mechanical problem, there is an independent BMW shop in Charlottesville, VA, about 1/2 hour from the northern terminus of the BRB and the southern terminus of the Skyline.

Thanks! That one's going in my travel notebook along with the lodging and dining recommendations I've received in this thread.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by 39520 View Post

Also, a new BMW dealer just opened in Salem, Va. , next to Roanoke where the worst part of the Parkway is located. http://www.frontlineeurosports.com/
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

HONDARIDER
    OsbornK...nice signature line...23 degrees in my part of the "north" this morning...what's not to love?

a few weeks ago there was a post about a riding seminar on the blue ridge. A lady who was a former racer was the host.... Anyone know where that post went or any details about the rider seminar? thanks
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

About five miles north of Hwy 276 in NC (about 60 miles out of Cherokee) you will come across NC state highway 151. It only runs to the north of the BRP. It is steeper and twistier than the dragon. Ride it down, then turn around and ride it back. It's about 4 or 5 miles. I ran into it two years ago when there was a detour on the parkway. Now it's a must ride for me when I'm in the area.

Joel

warredon
    Quote Originally Posted by kthflieger View Post
    a few weeks ago there was a post about a riding seminar on the blue ridge. A lady who was a former racer was the host.... Anyone know where that post went or any details about the rider seminar? thanks
    I don't know about the upcoming seminar, but this is the lady you are probably speaking of. I saw a seminar by her a couple of years ago at the Klassic K Kampout just of the parkway, it was interesting. She did mention her motorcycles and indicated that she still rode quite a bit.

HONDARIDER
    My father-in-law asked me yesterday what I was going to do on this trip. I felt like we were speaking different languages.

"So I hear your riding down south. Where ya goling?"

"We're going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from end to end"

"Yeah, but what are you going to do down there?"

"We're going to ride our motorcycles the length of the parkway...Shenandoah National Park to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park"

"OK, but where are you going to?"

"Ummm...we're riding"

"Sure, but you must be going somewhere...what are you going to see?"

"We're going to see the scenery"

"You don't have a destination?!"

"Yeah, the parkway is the destination"

"No...you're not understanding the question...where are you going to on this trip?"

"Ummm...we're going to The Tail of the Dragon"

"Oh..OK...sure...what's that? An amusement park?"

"No...it's a road"

"What?"

And off we go again. He just doesn't get it at all. He can't conceive that I'm riding for the sake of riding. I must surely have a destination...a park...a bar...a museum...a drunken Rally...something other than riding.

The sad part is that he's got two motorcycles...