Thread: R1150R Starter Switch

R1150R Starter Switch

Last year I had to have the combo starter switch replaced. (When I turned the key & hit the starter, I would get nothing. Also, I had no lights anywhere) Fast forward to this year, a week ago, I had to turn the key on & off a few times to get it to start. Now, when I turn the key on I get zero lights & the starter will not turn over. Put it on the charger & still nothing. As it is going into the shop, I'm presuming it's the combo starter switch again, which will cost me another $500. Does anyone know if this is a common thing & should I cut my losses in search of a new Beemer..........

Thanks
    Paul Kersten
    Milwaukee, WI
    05 R1150R

Quote Originally Posted by pkers10 View Post
    Last year I had to have the combo starter switch replaced. (When I turned the key & hit the starter, I would get nothing. Also, I had no lights anywhere) Fast forward to this year, a week ago, I had to turn the key on & off a few times to get it to start. Now, when I turn the key on I get zero lights & the starter will not turn over. Put it on the charger & still nothing. As it is going into the shop, I'm presuming it's the combo starter switch again, which will cost me another $500. Does anyone know if this is a common thing & should I cut my losses in search of a new Beemer..........

Thanks
    "Key on and off a few times" indicates to me that the problem may be in the keyed ignition switch. I am interpreting the term "combo starter switch" to be the switch on the right handlebar with the kill switch and starter button.

If turning the key on and off a few times temporarily cures the issue I suspect ignition switch. If flicking the kill switch back and forth temporarily allows a start then I suspect the combination switch on the handlebar.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Started

So my bike was picked up & my worst fear came to be. My 1150R started right up, as she was about to be trailered. Not wanting to be stuck on the bad side of town again, had them take it in to run some tests & after a week at the shop, they cannot find anything wrong.......................
    Paul Kersten
    Milwaukee, WI
    05 R1150R

Ignition switch

Quote Originally Posted by pkers10 View Post
    So my bike was picked up & my worst fear came to be. My 1150R started right up, as she was about to be trailered. Not wanting to be stuck on the bad side of town again, had them take it in to run some tests & after a week at the shop, they cannot find anything wrong.......................
    I would agree with Paul on the ignition switch

my 200 1150 gs did the same thing as yours intermittently I could wiggle the wire at the base of the ignition switch an make it go for a while.
    Replaced the wiring harness from the switch back to the bike just under the tank and all is well.
    If it is working it will show OK on a test.
    The cost is around $120 for the wire and you can replace it yourself
    There is a small set screw on the side of the switch housing to release the wire and the other end just plugs in.

good luck
    Dave