• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

St Louis to Portland OR and back

W

WhatMeHurry

I'm hoping to make a round trip from the St. Louis, Missouri area to Portland Oregon in 2012. It looks like I'll have to use some interstate highways, but I prefer not to. Route suggestions would be appreciated along with tips on coping with "interstates". I plan to use my 2004 R1150RT.

The Lewis & Clark Trail !

I allowed appox 7 days in 03 for the trip out the MO River; just before the 200 year mark of their quest. The heritage routes are numbered 1804 & 1806 in EACH State along the river; and they are very nice. You have the capability to shorten the route, especially in ND & MT if you wish; I didn't. Many journey site to visit that are top notch. I made it to Seaside OR from St Joseph Mo without Interstate AT ALL! Whatever you do, ride the Columbia River into Portland!
"Travel'in John" frequently on the 04R1150R

You might enjoy some of the sections of a trip I took this past summer:

1. US 34 west of Loveland, CO up and through Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park ("Trail Ridge Road")
2. a dogleg north from Granby, CO through WY to Red Lodge, MT, and then:
3. US 212 "Beartooth Hwy" along the MT/WY border;
4. one of several routes through Yellowstone NP;
5. another dogleg northwest through western MT to:
6. Lolo. MT then US 12 ("Lewis & Clark route") to Lewiston, ID and if you wish, west to the Columbia River Gorge.

Past that, WA state Hwy 14 (I think, double-check) parallels I-84 on the north side of the Columbia River through the Columbia Gorge all the way to the Portland area.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you want more details. Enjoy the ride and the scenery!

Last edited:
+1 on the route posted by W7leij1- and add to it a quick stop in Hood River in the gorge....great place to take a break by the river and watch all the kite surfers and have a great brew or cup of coffee.

Back