• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Put in too much oil...what to do?

Blueman

Recently changed the oil and put in about a quarter quart too much. Can I leave it or should I take some oil out? :scratchIf I should take some out what is the easiest way?
2004 R1150RT.

Thanks as always for your advice.

Happens...you are not the first to ask. Some folks remove the filter and drain some there, may take a few times with filter method. Others drain out and refill.

If you have run the bike, check the drain on rear of airbox,shifter side as it may collect there as well.

1/4 quart is not a catastrophic overfill...is it past the sight glass?

So you changed the filter, and actually poured in four complete quarts. And then, poured in another 1/4 quart? Why not just stop at four since the oil capacity is just about four quarts anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if it makes you feel better drain off a bit of oil. Loosen the drain plug till it starts to dribble oil out (don't take the plug out), and let it drain down to the center of the sight glass.

Funny, that happened to me the other day, for some reason I thought I needed 4.75 quarts instead of 3.75. Just drained some from the plug and re-filled until correct. The crush ring is still okay - no leaks. Same bike as yours :)

As asked above, over the sight glass? 1/4th qt is not a big deal. I'd say even if it is currently over the top of the glass take it for a ride or two and see if it settles. If you didn't pour more than 4 total qts in, you're doing ok.

With the new oil not being dirty to darken the sight glass I was unsure that I had put enough new oil in so I am now over the sight glass. I will drain from the filter to lessen the oil.

Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if it makes you feel better drain off a bit of oil. Loosen the drain plug till it starts to dribble oil out (don't take the plug out), and let it drain down to the center of the sight glass.

Too high an oil level will cause increased crankcase pressure which results in oil sight glasses blowing out.
I think BMW even issued a bulletin to that effect.
The excess should be removed and the level should be run from mid glass to the bottom.

Too high an oil level will cause increased crankcase pressure which results in oil sight glasses blowing out.
I think BMW even issued a bulletin to that effect.
The excess should be removed and the level should be run from mid glass to the bottom.

Have to be WAY high, like forgetting to drain the old before adding new, IMHO. A cup or two over, I wouldn't worry about.,

I've put in too much on a couple of vehicles in the last 40+ years -- and always drain the extra.

Instead of draining from the filter, it'll be a lot easier and less messy just to loosen the drain plug to allow it to seep down while watching the sight glass.

Yes, too much oil in the crankcase WILL cause high case pressure and could cause oil to blow by the seals. From the center of the sight glass to the top is about a pint of oil.

I doubt an extra pint would be enough to cause excessive crankcase pressure.

I've got an '03 1100S and, according the manual, it says to fill to the top of the red line in the sight glass which is about 1/8" away from completely covering the glass. I've run it this way for 40k km (25k miles) in hot weather and cold and all seems well.

Should I be dropping the level?

Signed,
Am I a Know Nothing Beemer Owner? :)

I've got an '03 1100S and, according the manual, it says to fill to the top of the red line in the sight glass which is about 1/8" away from completely covering the glass. I've run it this way for 40k km (25k miles) in hot weather and cold and all seems well.

Should I be dropping the level?

Signed,
Am I a Know Nothing Beemer Owner? :)

This oil level thing comes up often. I don't think running at the MIN or MAX level is wrong, it's just not optimal. The middle is just right.

This is from the factory manual:
Caution: NEVER add engine oil above the MAX mark.
X Tightening torque:
Oil filter......................................................... 11 Nm
Oil drain plug................................................ 32 Nm
Fill quantity for engine:
- with oil filter change .............3.75 l (6.6 Imp. pints)
- without oil filter change ........3.50 l (6.2 Imp. pints)
Oil volume between
MIN and MAX marks ............0.50 l (0.88 Imp. pints)
Engine oil grade:
Brand-name HD oil for four-stroke spark-ignition en-
gine, API classifications SE,SF,SG; combination
with CC or CD specification.

OilLevel.jpg

(Oh no, am I accidentally starting another oil thread?) :bolt

This oil level thing comes up often. I don't think running at the MIN or MAX level is wrong, it's just not optimal. The middle is just right....
(Oh no, am I accidentally starting another oil thread?) :bolt

Thanks for that, sir. :thumb

Resisting...urge...to...add...comment...on...oil. :D

Sight Glass

I did the same thing on this gorgeous 57 degree day here on Long Island, sunny skies, organizing the garage kind of day...

Got a '04 R1150RT from a local guy in August.

He told me repeatedly, that the 1150 RT engine 'Hides Oil really well!

Three times, before we signed papers, he repeated to me the above.

So, upon adding my third quart, I realized that the new oil went right up to the top 'max' mark on the sight glass, and then thought... 'Oh sh*t', too much oil'.

I drained the oil down about 3/4 quart through the bottom drain plug, and then
let the glass settle.

I added some oil about 1 cup at a time. Stopped, started the bike up, let it settle, and added only another cup, and visibly saw signs of the oil on the 'minimum' mark of the sight glass, and then, stopped there.

Has anyone else heard this theory about the RT 'Hiding Oil Really Well' and forwarned about not adding 'too much oil', even though the owners' manual and other service manuals say 'fill to max level'?

Oh no... I think I started yet a third thread off of this RT oil question.

Ride Safe!

Jim

Has anyone else heard this theory about the RT 'Hiding Oil Really Well' and forwarned about not adding 'too much oil', even though the owners' manual and other service manuals say 'fill to max level'? Jim

Haven't heard about this theory, but I've done that same as you, added more when it was low and voila, too much appeared.

Decided that before tomorrow's oil change, after the final ride of the season, I'll park the bike first on the side stand for a while, before putting it on the centre stand to drain. Usually I just come in from a ride, park it on the centre stand and drain. This does not allow the oil flow out of the heads before starting the drain, and maybe trapping old oil inside, to produce too much oil later.

Uh,
wouldn't the oil change process be the same on the RT as it was on the RR you previously owned ? It's the same 1150 engine.

I did the same thing on this gorgeous 57 degree day here on Long Island, sunny skies, organizing the garage kind of day...

Got a '04 R1150RT from a local guy in August.

He told me repeatedly, that the 1150 RT engine 'Hides Oil really well!

Three times, before we signed papers, he repeated to me the above.

So, upon adding my third quart, I realized that the new oil went right up to the top 'max' mark on the sight glass, and then thought... 'Oh sh*t', too much oil'.

I drained the oil down about 3/4 quart through the bottom drain plug, and then
let the glass settle.

I added some oil about 1 cup at a time. Stopped, started the bike up, let it settle, and added only another cup, and visibly saw signs of the oil on the 'minimum' mark of the sight glass, and then, stopped there.

Has anyone else heard this theory about the RT 'Hiding Oil Really Well' and forwarned about not adding 'too much oil', even though the owners' manual and other service manuals say 'fill to max level'?

Oh no... I think I started yet a third thread off of this RT oil question.

Ride Safe!

Jim
The way to check the true oil level:
Engine must be hot, 5 bars showing on the RID, oil cooler hot
Put on side stand and shut off.
Wait 5 minutes (this will allow oil trapped in the oil cooler to drain into the sump)
Put the bike on the center stand.
Read the sight glass.

The oil is "hidden" in the oil cooler, if the thermostat (on top of the engine) feeding the oil cooler input line is not open (at operating temperature) , it will not let the oil drain out of the cooler.
If you look at the oil cooling circuit it makes sense.

I have been checking my oil this way for the last 11 years and get consistent accurate results every time.

The way to check the true oil level:
Engine must be hot, 5 bars showing on the RID, oil cooler hot
Put on side stand and shut off.
Wait 5 minutes (this will allow oil trapped in the oil cooler to drain into the sump)
Put the bike on the center stand.
Read the sight glass.

The oil is "hidden" in the oil cooler, if the thermostat (on top of the engine) feeding the oil cooler input line is not open (at operating temperature) , it will not let the oil drain out of the cooler.
If you look at the oil cooling circuit it makes sense.

I have been checking my oil this way for the last 11 years and get consistent accurate results every time.

Sounds like a good plan for me and will do this in the future.

Back