• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Joshua Tree National Park Nov 2011

crapdealerbob

Donna & I did another overnight-er, riding to Joshua Tree N.P. near Twenty Nine Palms, CA. We left early Wednesday morning, temp was about 42, so we layered on our cold weather gear and left about 6:15am.

The route

7937DeckerCanyonDrLasVegasNV89128to7937DeckerCanyonDrLasVegasNV89128-GoogleMaps_1321023764338.jpg

Getting the tires checked

DSCN5861.jpg

First stop after getting through the morning rush hour, was for gas in Henderson - the Stratosphere in the background, nice sunny day even though it was a little cool

DSCN5862.jpg

South on HWY93

DSCN5864.jpg

Then west on I 40 for a few miles

DSCN5865.jpg

From all my years living in Wyoming - I forgot not to pass right next to a cattle truck, got splattered by some cattle dung! Remember to move as far left as possible!!

Took old Route 66 to Amboy, stopped in Essex, CA. to get this

DSCN5873.jpg

An old eatery, long since gone - the Roadrunner restaurant, on the way to Amboy

DSCN5894.jpg

Coming into Amboy, CA.

DSCN5897.jpg

We stopped at Roy's, the sign said cafe, but all they had were snacks - the kitchen wasn't open, which was too bad, had an old style counter, we had planned on eating there

DSCN5899.jpg

We did get gas though, one pump was working. Donna enjoyed a muffin

DSCN5902.jpg

While we were there a group of 15 Harleys pulled up. They were all from Poland, touring the west. They loved the RT 66 sign painted on the road, parked one of their bikes near it and started taking pictures. It was fun to watch, as there was other traffic coming, several times they moved the bike off the road and then back on it when the traffic cleared. I went out and took a group shot for them and visited with them. They were having a great time doing this, thankfully no one got run over

DSCN5904.jpg

South on Amboy Rd. heading to Joshua, CA.

DSCN5910.jpg

We stopped and finally had breakfast in Twenty Nine Palms, then onto the Park.

DSCN5916.jpg

Lots of Joshua trees

DSCN5927.jpg

DSCN5932.jpg

Temperature must have dropped about 10 degrees while riding through the Park, but warmed up once we dropped into the Turkey Flats, Pinto mountain in the background

DSCN5954.jpg

We had planned on making it to the Cottonwood visitor center, but it was getting late and we didn't want to be riding after dark, so we headed back. Gets dark now at 5pm.

Lots of Cholla cactus in one area

DSCN5957.jpg

Out of the Park, heading into Twenty Nine Palms, CA.

DSCN5961.jpg

More luxury accommodations in Twenty Nine Palms

DSCN5962.jpg

A Pizza Hut was right next to our motel, so we had dinner there

No, she didn't eat the whole pizza

DSCN5963.jpg

I helped eat some with my chicken wings

DSCN5964.jpg

We had to ride to an AM/PM store the next morning, no coffee pot in the room at Motel 6. Beautiful sunrise to watch

DSCN5969.jpg

Good breakfast at the Carousel cafe, still a bit cool though

DSCN5973.jpg

We had to ride back out to the Park entrance to get the required photo.

DSC_0060.jpg

While I was getting set up to take the picture, a guy came running back from the entrance, he was from England wanted to take our picture - said he was from the "London Times" and was touring the U.S. and getting shots of America for an article. Donna ( always the skeptic) asked for his ID. He did have a press pass, so we gave him our names - so we might make the "Times" article. I'll post something if we make the cut...

We took the same route back to Amboy, had to get a better pic of the sign at Roy's

DSCN5978.jpg

DSCN5986.jpg

The new owner has dreams of restoring the old motel & cafe, hope he is successful - really enjoy traveling on RT 66 and seeing our history in these old places. There was a concrete block in the old parking area, don't know the origin, but it had 1917 on it, so had to get a pic

DSCN5988.jpg

We took a different route back from Amboy to Vegas, wanted to go through the Mojave National Preserve, heading north on Kelbaker RD. I 40 in the foreground

DSCN5995.jpg

getting setup

DSCN6001.jpg

To get the required photo

DSC_0073.jpg

Didn't think I had the right settings - snapped one of me walking back - yep, amateur hour photographer. You can tell Donna is getting a kick out of this

DSC_0070.jpg

Big sand dunes on the way to Kelso, but we couldn't get closer, the road to them was loose dirt & gravel - not for this "K" driver

DSCN6007.jpg

Coming into Kelso

DSCN6010.jpg

The Park Service has renovated the old train depot, we enjoyed some of the exhibits and had lunch at an old style counter cafe

DSCN6012.jpg

DSCN6020.jpg

DSCN6021.jpg

A fascinating look into the past - this was the jail cell that was used to hold people arrested in Kelso - mostly drunks - according to the exhibit sign, usually kept overnight, then released. Donna didn't stay in it long..It was kept outside, a tin shack was built to cover it from the elements - no ACLU back then

DSCN6014.jpg

DSCN6022.jpg

More Joshua trees on the way north on Kelso Cima RD.

DSCN6027.jpg

I missed my turn and ended up back on I 15, I wanted to take the Morning Star Mine RD. and come out on the road to Nipton. We will take that route next time

DSCN6032.jpg

Primm, NV. off in the distance

DSCN6034.jpg

Back into Vegas, north on I 15

DSCN6036.jpg

We timed our arrival back in Vegas to avoid rush hour, but still caught some of it, north on HWY 95

DSCN6039.jpg

Home again, must be time for a cold "adult" beverage

DSCN6041.jpg

We will have to go back into the Mojave Preserve, didn't have enough time to see all the old history. Total miles for this trip - 515

Nice:)

I did the ride into the DUNES at Kelso, GOT STUCK! Bad stuck on my GSA1200 about 3 years ago:). I was so wasted from the workout getting out of there, I forgot to take any pictures:(, figuring I had made a BIG mistake. Randy. Thanks for the memories, great shots. I do the Rt66 frequently in my travels to AZ. and folks from across the pond riding HDs are everywhere in that area and G.Canyon:).Seems a Great America vacation for Euro Bikers, don't blame'em:)...Randy:clap

Thanks for documenting and posting pics of your trip. Good stuff. I was Vegas last week and took a trip to Death Valley. Great sight seeing. Wish I had taken my RT, but it was not to be.

Ah, it's a tough life, isn't it?
While the rest of us get to stay home and work.
I have been out to most of those spots, more than once. It's a nice ride up 62 from the 10 for me to get out there. You might try that next time.
And also, Providence Mountain, and Mitchell Caverns are right there, just east of Kelso.
I think the caverns are closed. But if the reopen it, or if they do have it open, next time, try it.
Good photos, and it looks like a good ride.
dc

Enjoyed your post. I'm trailering my RT from NW WY to Vegas in Feb, mtg a guy with a GS stored in Phoenix, and touring western AZ & surrounding area for 4 days. I've heard Rt 66 is particularly scenic in western AZ. Looking forward to the winter break and doing some riding, but expect it will be cool even that far south in Feb. Any 'must see' suggestions appreciated.

Enjoyed your post. I'm trailering my RT from NW WY to Vegas in Feb, mtg a guy with a GS stored in Phoenix, and touring western AZ & surrounding area for 4 days. I've heard Rt 66 is particularly scenic in western AZ. Looking forward to the winter break and doing some riding, but expect it will be cool even that far south in Feb. Any 'must see' suggestions appreciated.

Chip

We have riden on old RT 66 in AZ, from Ash Fork to Kingman

DrivingDirectionsfromAshForkArizonatoMohaveValleyArizona-MapQuest2011-12-1506-58-56.jpg

There really ins't much to look at out there, it is DESERT ! We did stop and spent the night at the Grand Canyon caverns (hotel there), we did tour the caverns, which are worth seeing. I posted a ride report on another forum on a trip we took to Oatman, AZ. here is a link to that ride report ..

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=10d7947cd25cd1d04596a0593dd440a4&topic=628.0

RT 66 coming east out of Oatman is very windy & uphill, but the road surface is not in good condition - no maintenance in years, but it is worth the ride if you want to stay on RT 66.

We lived in WY. for 15 years, in Evanston & Laramie - will be going through Meeteetse next summer on our way to Yellowstone.

Hope this helps...

Back