• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

need......help.....head......about....explode

GeoffMiller

Ok, Mr. Low Tech finally figured out smugmug. Managed to get a picture on it. Tried downloading irfanview without any luck so far (has been chugging away for an hour). Do I even need irfanview if I have a smugmug account? Also, I can't find the directions for posting a picture off of smugmug. Note to self, quit being a cheap ass and pop for something quicker than dial-up!

Geoff Miller said:
Ok, Mr. Low Tech finally figured out smugmug. Managed to get a picture on it. Tried downloading irfanview without any luck so far (has been chugging away for an hour). Do I even need irfanview if I have a smugmug account? Also, I can't find the directions for posting a picture off of smugmug. Note to self, quit being a cheap ass and pop for something quicker than dial-up!

you dont need irfanview, but it makes it super easy to resize and slightly modify photos. it's a low overhead program.

and dude, if youre going to be into uploading photos on a regular basis, you are so right - get rid of the dialup and get something faster.

posting a pitcure off smugmug, well, i don't know about that. in here it's been covered, where you take alook at the web location of the photo you want to post. you can right click the photo and "save image location." then when typing a post, you click the little yellow icon with the mountains on it above the text window, and then paste (ctrl-V) the file location into that spot. DO NOT preview the post, it hoses it up.

hope this helps.

Hey Geoff -

Here's how to post a picture using photos on your smugmug account.

Go to your smugmug account and get the picture you like up on the screen.

Right click on the picture and select Properties.

In the Properties dialog, you'll see a full web address for the photo. It'll start with http:// and end with .jpg. In smugmug, the photo is available in different sizes, so you don't need to resize them with irfanview -neato. To tell which size is going to go to the web, look at the path you see and look at the letter that's right before the .jpg. Ti means Tiny, S means Small, M means medium, L for Large and O for original. I mostly post M and L here.

Highlight that full path and then right click and select Copy.

Now, go to make a new post. Above the box where you type your post, you'll see a little icon that has a yellow sky with a mountain. Click it. When the little dialog box pops up, put your cursor in it and right click. Select Paste, hit return to close the box and you're done!

The forum software will put some code in front of and after that link that looks something like {IMG} http://www.yourfilename.com/picture-M.jpg{/IMG}

The IMG tags tell the forum to go get the picture from another site and show it to the viewer. The cool thing is that the picture doesn't get hosted on our server (which helps us save hosting fees) and we don't have to pay for the bandwidth to present those pictures.

Here's a photo you can look at that I posted from my smugmug account. To look at the path and stuff, just hit the quote button and you'll be able to see what the smugmug path looks like, where the size note is the path and how vBulletin puts the little IMG tags on.

18474018-M-1.jpg

XP vs. Smugmug vs. Irfanview

:thumb
Hi Brad and Dave,
As always, you guys are the best in getting out useful information. It makes this site a great resource. I've got XP and a Broadband hookup through Cox. Which system do you recommend for pics? Also, dumb question but how do I sign up for smugmug?
Danke
Thom

KBASA, thanks for the help. I've been reading some of the great ride reports and would like to take a shot at putting one together. I feel kind of handicapped at this point. PC's didn't come out until after I got out of college. During my early years in management, I always had a secretary who did this stuff. Tough for an old dog to learn new tricks. Finally I'm at a point where I can play a little and looking at a pretty steep learning curve. Now you know why I've been riding a 25 year old airhead until this month :D

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA Geoff laughs fiendishly!!! KBASA has created a monster!! I am the ruler of the internet. Nerds will bow before me!! :thumb You guys are gonna get really sick of me :doh

From your rapid ascent in the learning curve, I'd think you invented this internet thing ; )

We'll keep your secret here.

Voni
sMiling
:clap

Back