• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Places to see from NC to MO?

NC to Rally

Friend and I are leaving Richmond, VA Friday after work and going to Blacksburg, VA to stay at his apartment for home football games. Sat morning going to Ashville area and then not sure. May go to Nashville or Memphis (never been to either) than cross the river and head toward the Rally area. Plan on getting there Wed afternoon. Have to follow this thread for ideas on good roads to follow.
Ken Denton

If you are interested in the War of Northern Aggression and history in general you might consider following the Great River Road once you hit the Mississippi River. You can chose to ride gravel or black top. I prefer the east side over the west so you stay in the Mississippi River Bluffs instead of the valley.

Hare are a few pictures from a trip I took along the east side of the Mississippi River:

Pierre Menard Home (1800)

P1020275.JPG

Entrenchments at Columbus-Belmont, KY, Site of 1861 Battle-Grants first

P1020296.JPG

P1020298.JPG

Along the west side:

Tower Rock;

P1000168.JPG

Historic Home In Ste. Genevieve:

P1000190.JPG

I would take it north to the ferry at Ste. Genevieve, MO. Spend some time in Genevieve. It was settled by the French in 1735 with home dating back to the 1700's.

From Ste. Gen there are 100's of routes west from gravel to alphabet highways to State Highways. For me, if I have the time, I would grab the first gravel road heading west and go. However if you want to stay on blacktop and a little more direct I would recommend, 32 out of Ste. Gen to US 67.

Around Desloge look for MO 8 west. (North of Desloge is the town of Bonne Terre and the Bonne Terre Mine tour. It is a fascinating tour of an underground lead mine. http://www.2dive.com/bandwtours.htm#hours)

Along Highway 8 is Meramac Spring State Park and pretty place to stop but I believe they charge to get in.

At St. James you can take 68 to 63 to 50 and take 50 to Sedalia. OR get on Old Route 44 and travel SW a little until Waynesville. At Waynesville take 117 north to 52 through Cole Camp to 65 and then 65 north to town.

Another option from Ste. Genevieve (this route will keep you from dealing with St. Louis traffic and is scenic).
Take US 61 to Bloomsdale and Y Highway to 67.
Take 67 North to Valles Mines and V Highway. Take V North.
V to 21 and north a few mile to Y.
Y will take you to 30.
go East on 30 to 47 and then north to Washington, MO.
From Washington take any road that follows the Missouri River to Hermann.
Both Washington and Hermann are historic river towns. Hermann is in the heart of MO wine country.
From Hermann you can continue west along the river to Jeff City. At Jeff City you can pick up 50 to Sedalia.

Between Washington and Jeff City either side is pretty.

Cemetery in Hermann:

P1000864.JPG

Hermann Concert Hall:

P1000859.JPG

Leaving Saturday

I am leaving the coast on Saturday and spending the night near Winston Salem. Leaving VERY early Sunday morning and riding straight through to the rally. Anyone else want to make a run for it?

I am leaving the coast on Saturday and spending the night near Winston Salem. Leaving VERY early Sunday morning and riding straight through to the rally. Anyone else want to make a run for it?

Hi Jerry,

I am leaving Columbia, SC on Sunday at noon and going to meander to Sedalia. I was planning to arrive early Wednesday morning. What will you do if you get there on Sunday? Will the gates be open?

Your offer is tempting but a day too soon.

John

Back