• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Haida Gwaii

B

BACKROAD.ADV

Anyone been there recently?

I'm thinking about going up there next summer.

I would appreciate recommendations for places to stay, sights to see and possibly places to camp.

Also, are there any private camp camping facilities with shelters?

I'm thinking about going up there late June or maybe early July.

With regard to the ferry from Prince Rupert is it worthwhile to get a cabin?

Thanks

The ferry cabins I've seen resemble prison cells. Either sit in the cabin recliners ,pitch a tent on aft deck , or sack out in the sunbathing lounges in a sleeping bag.

In June the Bugs are really bad. Make sure to take bug dope and, if possible bug screen for your head. That is if you are camping along Hwy 16.

Wow...

this place looks fantastic. i guess i sailed right by it on the Marine Highway as we returned from a ride to AK, but it must've been the middle of the night because i sure don't remember seeing it.

Really worth a look in Google Earth if you haven't done so already... many beautiful pics and some camping info.

go there and write a story about it! and shoot some pics... the shots on your blog are really nice! :D

PA120577-M.jpg

ian

this place looks fantastic. i guess i sailed right by it on the Marine Highway as we returned from a ride to AK, but it must've been the middle of the night because i sure don't remember seeing it.

Really worth a look in Google Earth if you haven't done so already... many beautiful pics and some camping info.

go there and write a story about it! and shoot some pics... the shots on your blog are really nice! :D

PA120577-M.jpg

ian

Thanks for visiting the site.

Haida Gwaii seems to be one of those places that gets passed by and since it's an island with few roads that too helps keep it off the beaten trail.

And, that is why I want to go there.

I'm hoping to get some advice on lodging info and places to visit. Even some locations for some fresh water fishing would be nice.

I have looked at the web stuff-- but I'm hoping to get some personal recommendations. Also I'm trying to locate a camp site with a shelter that I can put the tent under. Just a nice convenience, especially if it's going to be wet. Or a nice economical motel, B&B, etc.

The ferry ride is 7-8 hours and that is why I was wondering if a cabin is worth it?

Setting up a tent on such a short ferry trip seem like too much effort, to me anyway (its not Bellingham to Juneau or anything like that)

Again, looking for someone who has gone up there. Ferry costs will be a bit pricey for bike and passenger (round trip will be about $250) and then the cost of a cabin! But, I have some health issues and a cabin would be convenient, and 7-8 hours is a bit of time. Hope they have Wifi..

Also for those ferry prices I want to stay on Haidi Gwaii for a while.

Another option is, do I leave the bike in Prince Rupert and go over as a passenger? Then what options do I have for getting around?

Thanks

Back