• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

lane splitting

legal in CA, illegal everywhere else.

(that would be the reverse of most things.)
Not quite. Texas statutes simply don't address it. The tickets I've seen for lanesplitting in Texas are for "unsafe driving" or some other generalized thing. It depends on the officer. I know officers who ride that won't write a ticket for it as long as you aren't being an idiot, and I know officer's who've never been on a motorcycle who insist on writing a ticket for it. I've also seen judges who ride throw them out. But most judges will go with the officer.

In Texas, your best bet is to assume you'll get cited for it, but it is not statutorily illegal.

I would replace the word "illegal" with "accepted." A cop can write you a ticket for unsafe driving as you said. But in California, they won't, because it is accepted.

In California, according to the CHP, there is no law against lane splitting, and no law allowing int. But, you can be cited for unsafe speed - if your differential is more that 5 or 10 MPH, illegal lane change - if you ride the yellow line between the carpool and normal lanes, or just unsafe driving if the officer feels it so.

Ride intelligently and the CHiPs normally don't bother you. 36 years of riding and I have never had a ticket on a bike.

Scott

I agree. You live in California. So tell me you don't see that kind of activity all the time. I support a lane sharing that is well defined (like filtering to the front of a red light), and splitting when the traffic is congested, say 30 mph and lower for example. This would allow the original intention of the practice, which was cooling an air cooled engine that would overheat at a snails pace, to hold true. RT owners wouldn't be installing fans or overheating.

Lew, I had a 73/5 as my first bike.

It seems to be regional. When I've been in LA, I see plenty of high speed strafing. Not so much up here.

And yes, I love lane splitting and since moving here in 1999 have used it constantly. When I go to other states, I have to overcome my reflex to ride right up to the front of the line at red lights and sliding up through slow moving traffic. :ha

From the CHP website FAQ:

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

Generally, traveling 5 to 10mph faster than rush hour traffic (in the number 1 lane) is acceptable. I have been doing this for 25 years in California.

(My cousin is a CHP motor training officer)

Last edited:
When I was there ( South Bay/ Redondo Beach) this spring, I was zoomed by sportbikes going 15+ average crisscrossing lanes. I decided to only filter a few times , but my GSA with Micatech cases made me think twice more than once...WIDE LOAD :laugh:laugh:laugh

Was passed a few times by CHP Moto's...I followed once on a busy day:brow

couple-a thoughts

not when I'm actually late. Weird, I know, but that really changes my mind-set. If I'm just taking whatever opportunities are presented, I feel safer getting away from the sleepyheads, readers, texters, nose-pickers, panty hose fixers and drunks.

However in Chicago, I've driven the eight or ten miles up and down the Kennedy from Cumberland to the Ohio feeder that I have the traffic just about memorized and "know" when it's slammed all the way. In that case I just get in between and try not go but about 5mph faster than everybody else...meaning I'm traveling at 6 mph, watching their front tires, and trying to use an actual lane when a driver in one of them forgets to close the gap and leaves four or five .. or twenty car-lengths before he remembers he's in the car.

In Illinois, tho, it often pisses them off and they honk at me long after i'm gone.

I once tried to follow two CHPs on R1100RT's , just like mine up the 405...couldn't keep up with their 35 mph pace. They were 10-20 mph faster than the rest of the traffic

Chp!

They also ride abreast of one another, inches apart almost everywhere they go? Never has looked safe to me! Why would anyone need to ride in pairs that close is beyond me. Looks neat but a massive wreck in motion about to occur as i see it. They've got good training in them, no doubt but many of us are easily equal with our years in:)....Randy

They also ride abreast of one another, inches apart almost everywhere they go?

They also transit in blocks.

A couple of summers ago I was northbound on the 101 and observed a large number of headlights coming up on me from the rear; it was hard to tell how many, you know how you can't really see details in a vibrating bar-end mirrors. Judging by how fast they were approaching I was guessing that it was an outlaw club. Turns out is was a block of twelve CHP motors traveling 6 x 2. They were making good time when they blew by me and moved back over into the #2 lane enmasse; having excellent comm equipment probably helps. It was an impressive formation.

Have you ever had someone swerve in and try and close a gap on you, or open a door?

Sure, but you can see the swerve coming. ...assuming you're only about 5mph faster, and aiming at the spaces. The same way you can tell when someone's going to change lanes in front of you and cut you off when you're in the car. I suppose an open door would be a big surprise, but they probably figure they'd lose the door. Plus they'd have to stop pulling up their pantyhose, remove their finger from their nose, put down the doughnut, and stop texting to do it. No one really seems quite aggressive enough to do more than give you the single finger salute, and a loooong honk that dopplers behind you. And since they can't move, they can't chase.

The reason I ask is that in California, as stated, it is accepted. In other states where it is not, people do react badly to it. It still amazes me that a person would intentionally try and cause an accident. Even if deemed your fault for splitting lanes, the headache is not worth it and insurance rates for both drivers are likely to rise.

Yes, the 'can't chase' is why I do it in NC. Even a cop in a car can't chase you in stop and go traffic.

My dear old dad used remind me that a radio is pretty darned fast...

The threat of radio is vastly over rated. If you've robbed a bank, hit and run, etc., then sure. But a guy lane splitting who takes off and is gone? No cop is going to put out an APB manhunt on that. Dear old Dad was tossing out an ungrounded fear.

Also, the worst that will happen is a ticket, and they have to PROVE it was you. You don't get arrested or charged unless you have a cop with lights chasing you down the street, and anyone who chooses to run from that has the arrest and pain of the act coming.

No one can truly advocate running from the police, but not stopping unless you are pulled over isn't exactly running.

In the event of a collision, the officer would have the responsibility to determine who was at fault. Just because a bike is lane splitting does not answer that question. There have been several lawsuits in recent years where the vehicle operator was found guilty of manslaughter or lesser aggrevated assualt with a vehicle for opening the door, moving the vehicle into the bike, etc. I have had two intentional issues, only one of which resulted in contact. A young lady decided to move to the right and squeeze me into a van (I knew it was intentional because her passenger was looking up at me laughing). We were all moving slowly and it was really wierd, fortunately the van driver realized what was happening and had room to move over....but these types of things are extremely rare. Those that result in injury are witnessed by many and as mentioned, it is not an automatic that the bike is the one at fault. Also as mentioned, it is generally quite easy to read the impending actions of a vehicle driver. If there is an open space beside them, you don't get between them and that space. Normally riders are really looking and seeing much farther down the road than motorists and when lane splitting, your really paying attention, or you should not be there.

Back in March i went over to see my son in France, that was me in talelight i think May, you talk about lane splitting,WHEW, they don't mess around, and i think rounabouts work better that stop lights\signs. I never saw a wreck or heard tires squealing, but what was really neat when you were stopped at a light all bikes filtered up to the front and hauled @ss when the light turned green and there were lots of bikes\scotters on the roads.

They also ride abreast of one another, inches apart almost everywhere they go? Never has looked safe to me! Why would anyone need to ride in pairs that close is beyond me. Looks neat but a massive wreck in motion about to occur as i see it. They've got good training in them, no doubt but many of us are easily equal with our years in:)....Randy

Although i agree with you on the premise of "what's to gain?" by the close formation riding, i'm also thinking "not so much" on that "easily equal" thing. have you ever seen a Top gun competition?

lane splitting, or *sharing* has been discussed here and there. in states (or countries) where it isn't commonly done, folks just don't get it.
in places where it IS common, people are typically OK with it, especially us riders.
i've heard all manner of horror stories about PO'd cagers doing really ignorant things. and some guys (or one guy) who spoke about *entitlement* mindsets- like we riders are thinking we are more entitled to split due to..well, whatEVER- i don't get that one...

for my own part, if it were legal or accepted where i live, i would do it fer sure!

here's a current ADVrider thread about it:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748817

it's ALMOST like beating a dead horse....

Back